What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a mini-greenhouse full of buckets growing oyster mushrooms right now... Hopefully. I'm
growing them in cocoa-coir as substrate for 3 buckets and hardwood bbq pellets that have been
broken down and soaked in another 5 buckets... plus a 5-gallon bucket and still have some hardwood
substrate I'm trying to figure out what to do with although it will likely just rot because not enough
spawn in it to outcompete anything that contaminates it.

All in all I'm hoping to harvest 20 to 30 lbs of italian oyster mushrooms.

Doing this in a van though? Would be great growing conditions and easy to control environment,
but likely fairly toxic for mammals trying to live in the same environment :)
Good Lord man! Trying to start a rolling farmer's market? :LOL: I was thinking more along the lines of inoculating a bag of growing media in a small tub to harvest a few pounds. What are you gonna do with all that?

Cheers!

Nothing like spending the afternoon with my favorite furry buddy hanging out in the basement as one tornado warning after another sends my phone jangling Red Alert! Red Alert!

Looks like it it finally starting to calm down out there. It's going to be simple and easy again tonite, I've got some leftovers to work through and I started a batch of Panzanella (Italian Bread Salad) this a.m. (Frugal Gourmet recipe, the dude turned out to be an ultra creep but his recipes were good... Why does it always turn out that way?). So we'll see!

KIMG0690.JPG

Cheers!

Good Lord man! Trying to start a rolling farmer's market? :LOL: I was thinking more along the lines of inoculating a bag of growing media in a small tub to harvest a few pounds. What are you gonna do with all that?

Cheers!
Greenhouse isn't in a vehicle lol. I'm in a stationary RV atm, so have some of the sticks and bricks benefits.

I tried googling this up and couldn't find it. Can you share?
You can watch the video, or get the written recipe from comments/notes.

I modified it by adding way more spice and also added nutritional yeast, vital wheat gluten, and powdered mushrooms. Also used soy sauce. Trying to pack in as much umami as I could.

Evening all,

"after some careful thought and consideration" - OK, maybe just a bunch of headscratching over some diverse leftovers. I'm making a throwback from the Wayback machine. Greek Fritata Me Spaghetti - Fried spaghetti from my ancient Greek cookbook by Sofia Skoura, only I've only got leftover Chinese noodles I didn't use the other night. So I mixed them with egg, Parm, salt, pepper, and butter then pan fried slowly on both sides till golden as you see. Serve with Panzanella salad made from leftover chopped salad, cubed leftover bread, dressed with leftover chimichurri with cubes of whole milk mooz added. Sounds good to me! Italian and Greek go really well together. Where's Sofi? :LOL:

Cheers and stay safe and healthy everyone!

KIMG0691.JPG

I have an ancient cookbook (one of the very few I carry) is a signed 1963 edition of Nikolaos Tselementes, Greek Cookery. It has everything I ate growing up and lots more.
The measurements for the recipes include amounts such as: "adequate", "a handfull", "some", "to taste", "a little", "as much as it takes to...", and such.
Sort of the way I always cook.

I cannot see the article without buying the magazine. So maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gurk. Wonder why I can? Ummmm, not going to speculate on what my computer engineer son has set up on my laptop! I did get a shot off the article I'm sure you been / or driven by there.

1644016865259.png

Cheers!

I have an ancient cookbook (one of the very few I carry) is a signed 1963 edition of Nikolaos Tselementes, Greek Cookery. It has everything I ate growing up and lots more.
The measurements for the recipes include amounts such as: "adequate", "a handfull", "some", "to taste", "a little", "as much as it takes to...", and such.
Sort of the way I always cook.
The book I have is much the same, it's a direct translation from Greek and includes measurements such as "half a teacup", "a demitasse full", and "take the baby lamb and remove all innards except for the kidneys (cut slits and push them up into the body). Great Kokoretsi recipe too. I bought it in Germany in 1980.

Cheers!

Gurk. Wonder why I can? Ummmm, not going to speculate on what my computer engineer son has set up on my laptop! I did get a shot off the article I'm sure you been / or driven by there.

View attachment 30356

Cheers!

Yes! I have been there— weird place, as I recall. Felt like a cafeteria space, but wasn’t a cafeteria. Also wasn’t mixed clientele— no visitors and the only haoles are the Hawaii born kine and the extra super special kine brought there by local friends. That’s me 😎😂

Yes! I have been there— weird place, as I recall. Felt like a cafeteria space, but wasn’t a cafeteria. Also wasn’t mixed clientele— no visitors and the only haoles are the Hawaii born kine and the extra super special kine brought there by local friends. That’s me 😎😂
So you was a Supa Dupa Kine Haole huh??? :ROFLMAO: I just finished the first part of making Takuan from that daikon I got in TTown. It's soaking in a sugar brine right now. Even though I usually skip the yellow coloring I think I'll add it this time for nostalgia's sake. Reminds me of home on a bleak, blustery day. I've got to rustle dinner here in a sec too. End of the week coming up and it's all gotta GO!

I lived Lihue townhouse, not Princeville golf course condo or Poipu beach house! I never tried to tell Kauaians “how it’s done on the mainland”, was all about malama ka aina (and behave the same wherever I travel) and was always interested in talkstory anytime, anywhere. S’how I earned my place at tip top and the jetty :p 😆

Popcorn for dinner here 👍
Sourdough in bulk ferment now, and yogurt in the instant pot will be done in a couple more hours.
I made potato corn chowder this morning to take some to my old guy neighbor, and also had some (too much!) for breakfast. That stuff is some serious comfort food.

I lived Lihue townhouse, not Princeville golf course condo or Poipu beach house! I never tried to tell Kauaians “how it’s done on the mainland”, was all about malama ka aina (and behave the same wherever I travel) and was always interested in talkstory anytime, anywhere. S’how I earned my place at tip top and the jetty :p 😆
Das the way to do it! You get hanai'd when you behave as a kama'aina instead of a malihini mainlander. Ohana isn't just blood, it's a relationship. I have a hard time fishing muddy waters here and even in the Gulf (which is beautiful) but it's not the mighty Pacific.

When you fish off of the islands by the buoys, out of sight of land in that rolling deep blue black water, you can literally FEEL the immense power of that ocean and the very presence of the old Hawaiian Gods there. I'm not Hawaiian by blood but it's easy to be one with them in spirit when you have that relationship with the Aina and the Moana. If you want to see a Kauai that no longer exists, watch that old John Wayne movie "Donovan's Reef". Not so much the plot but the settings. Wish it still existed that way...

Cheers!

Popcorn for dinner here 👍
Sourdough in bulk ferment now, and yogurt in the instant pot will be done in a couple more hours.
I made potato corn chowder this morning to take some to my old guy neighbor, and also had some (too much!) for breakfast. That stuff is some serious comfort food.
OK, I'm a man with a can (actually leftovers) and a plan. I've finished jarring up my Takuan (it'll be ready in a week or so, see photos) and dug through the fridge for a late dinner. On Friday's I'll occasionally go out to visit but it's just too BLEH 😜 out there right now. Sooooo. It looks like it's going to be seared Carne Asada Street Tacos using the last of the steak, wrapped in corn tortilla's and topped with cilantro and onions in lime juice and a dash of hot sauce. Quick and easy. The Magic Kitchen Puppy (also known has Sam) has arrived and posted himself by the bar (he's not allowed in the kitchen) to intercept any stray chunks of steak that MIGHT hit the floor next to him (he hopes). Stay safe out there folks and try to have a decent dinner, it's FRIDAY FFS...

Cheers!KIMG0692.JPGKIMG0694.JPGKIMG0693.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG0695.JPG
    KIMG0695.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Latest posts