What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDub

Reaction score
Too much serious stuff going on today (miserable rainy day anyway with more tornadoes expected here Thursday). Sooooo.... Lets talk about everyone's favorite subject (pretty much) - FOOD!

I'm having S. Indian vegetarian coconut eggplant curry and quinoa w lime pickle and a bit of leftover Sri Lankan Tinned Fish curry from Sun (leftovers are better later!). I pretty much cook what can be done on the road or in camp so little of what I eat is haute cuisine. Mostly stick to your ribs pioneer food or or quick stir frys and braises that are easy to do in a single pot.

What are you having tonight?

Cheers!

Here's eggplant curry (love eggplant), can't tell it hasn't got any animal protein in it whatsoever. I'm a carnivore but I also eat a lot of vegetarian and vegan food. Delish.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMGP0112.JPG
    IMGP0112.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
I made Puerto Rican spaghetti loaded with veggies (no meat) and a variation of waldorf salad. I make stuff with the stuff I need to use soonest, so it isn't weird that my salad doesn't seem to compliment my main dish 0_0

^
I do a lot of that. Check to see what needs to be eaten and try to figure out a dish. Last week I had some pulled pork left, a half a tub of ricotta, a little bit of shredded cheddar, half a bag of corn tortillas, some odds and ends of pepper, tomatoes, canned green chiles, and onion. Throw in a can of green enchilada sauce and WAYLA (that's FRENCH U know)... The New Mexico Green Chile Lasagna was born! Pretty tasty 2. Frugality and wasting naught is an admirable trait IMHO (or at least it used to be...).

Cheers!

We had Texas tenderloin sandwiches with mayo/horseradish/pickles, and buttered noodles as a side. We downed it with cranberry vodka seltzers.

Love that eggplant.

But today finds me cooking for someone else, and I am making pot roast in an electric fry pan. It actually works pretty good and will be lots of leftovers for snacks later. Request was to PUT SOME GARLIC IN IT. So I did, five cloves. Hope that was enough.
-crofter

ckelly78z said:
We had Texas tenderloin sandwiches with mayo/horseradish/pickles, and buttered noodles as a side. We downed it with cranberry vodka seltzers.
Oh yeah. GOTTA have horseradish with a beef sandwich!

crofter said:
Love that eggplant.

But today finds me cooking for someone else, and I am making pot roast in an electric fry pan. It actually works pretty good and will be lots of leftovers for snacks later. Request was to PUT SOME GARLIC IN IT. So I did, five cloves. Hope that was enough.
-crofter
No such thing as TOO much garlic. Well, as long as there isn't any close contact afterwards with.... Pretty much anything living... :rolleyes: I grow two big stands of garlic (doing well despite the freeze) I look forward to the scapes in the spring because I pickle them. They make a really tasty, crunchy, garlicky (but not too) pickle. My mom used to cook everything in our electric frying pan from sukiyaki to chili.

JDub said:
^
I do a lot of that. Check to see what needs to be eaten and try to figure out a dish. Last week I had some pulled pork left, a half a tub of ricotta, a little bit of shredded cheddar, half a bag of corn tortillas, some odds and ends of pepper, tomatoes, canned green chiles, and onion. Throw in a can of green enchilada sauce and WAYLA (that's FRENCH U know)... The New Mexico Green Chile Lasagna was born! Pretty tasty 2. Frugality and wasting naught is an admirable trait IMHO (or at least it used to be...).

Cheers!
New Mexico green Chile lasagna sounds yummy.

Frugality is a game to me - and I like winning. Not wasting food is also a game that I am getting really good at since I started full-timing. I've got a lifetime of American style food waste to make up for, so I'm playing the game hard these days :)

Now back to my app game...

These all sound yummy
I'm stuck at home still 4 more weeks until shots are all done and I am safe to travel again.... and it is warm enough to be out again.
I'm looking forward to cooking on the go again.

Zero carb/carnivore eater.
every day is meat by the max as I want
Shrimp/fish/steaks and lamb and chicken and more and the health gain I have achieved and weight loss is thru the roof stellar.

this is me.

today is 2 steaks...a NY strip and a T-bone with maybe shrimp in homemade alfredo to boot.

yes I am one who eats way diff.....so my cooking out and about is all about meat on the grill LOL

^^^ I eat a lot of meat, poultry, and seafood too. As I wrote I'm definitely a carnivore although I really enjoy vegan and vegetarian as well interspersed. I get on kicks. I find it's easy to control my weight on a Paleo type diet. I don't eat much in the way of carbs and starches. I sub sweet potatoes for white, quinoa for rice (except for Spam and Eggs Local Style Breakfasts and a few Japanese dishes - gotsta have my white rice for those) and very little refined sugar or products. I weigh 2 pounds more now then when I retired from the mil 21 years ago. That's doing pretty good IMHO...

Cheers!

vanbrat said:
These all sound yummy
I'm stuck at home still 4 more weeks until shots are all done and I am safe to travel again.... and it is warm enough to be out again. 
I'm looking forward to cooking on the go again.
I love to camp cook. It's a lot of fun to me and keeps me from eating a lot of bag meals that do little for you nutritionally... Tonight it's going to be Jamaican Curry Chicken stew. I'm making several large batches of food this week and freezing them away for later. It'll go well with the curry eggplant I made last night.

The recipe I use:

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Curried-Chicken/

It's a very easy but delicious recipe. I've had the chicken soaking in lime juice and curry powder since this morning. If anyone makes it, I recommend using regular canola, olive, or peanut oil or such. I find using coconut oil gives it too strong a cocnut flavor and i like coconut. I sub sweet potato for the white and Serrano peppers for the Scotch Bonnet. WM often carries the Mirlitons (Chayote) but butternut or acorn can be subbed. I actually went to the WM garden section this morning to get a pot of thyme (needed to set one out anyway), if you use fresh make sure and tie the bundle together or it's tough to fish out later.

Cheers!

Simmering nicely! Time to enjoy an adult beverage and it will be ready!

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMGP0113.JPG
    IMGP0113.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Man, that looks good. I made a meaty chili tonight with lots of veggies in it also. Medium spicy. Lots of flavor and very filling.

Thank you! I forgot to add, although the recipe doesn't call for it, this dish benefits from a glug of shoyu (soy sauce) to taste as well. NOTHING better than a steaming bowl of chili during cold weather, made a pot myself during that freeze we had. Shredded cheese, chopped onions, pickled jalapenos, and a some steaming tortillas... Mmmmm...

Cheers!

Adult beverage for dinner. Lunch was fries. Yesterday was broth and fruit. Nasty stomach flu.

Yesterday evening I had broth, noodles, fruit, and then sandwiches as i felt better.

Today i felt fine but the appetite was absent.

Lots of grapefruit juice and naproxen.

Hope ya feel better manana! Make sure you take in some electrolytes (not just brew o lytes) :D

Cheers!

It's apparently going to be a dark and stormy potentially hazard filled night here (we've already had 4 tornado warnings in the last 3 hours several on the ground) so I'm going to go fast and easy tonight. Leftover chicken and eggplant curries and quinoa. I'm in the mood for something sweet but I don't KEEP any so Ima improvise: saltines smeared with cream cheese and guava jam!

Cheers!

JDub said:
I love to camp cook. It's a lot of fun to me and keeps me from eating a lot of bag meals that do little for you nutritionally... Tonight it's going to be Jamaican Curry Chicken stew. I'm making several large batches of food this week and freezing them away for later. It'll go well with the curry eggplant I made last night.

The recipe I use:

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Curried-Chicken/

It's a very easy but delicious recipe. I've had the chicken soaking in lime juice and curry powder since this morning. If anyone makes it, I recommend using regular canola, olive, or peanut oil or such. I find using coconut oil gives it too strong a cocnut flavor and i like coconut. I sub sweet potato for the white and Serrano peppers for the Scotch Bonnet. WM often carries the Mirlitons (Chayote) but butternut or acorn can be subbed. I actually went to the WM garden section this morning to get a pot of thyme (needed to set one out anyway), if you use fresh make sure and tie the bundle together or it's tough to fish out later.

Cheers!
That looks really good I will be trying some curry stuff this summer. It is a flavor I haven't done much of yet..

Latest posts