What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lunchtime was two hotdogs. Not my normal cuppa tea but a friend who owns a local store had a big celebration and the hotdogs were free. It is amazing how my taste is affected by my budget. This evening it was three ears of fresh local sweet corn, And a fresh ripe tomato. Simple but good.

Every few weeks one of the supervisors in the park or their employees has a free dinner for their employees in the picnic area that just happens to be where I walk each day to loose weight. They usually have hot dogs and hamburgers but today one of the employees that likes to cook took over and I had a barbequed pulled pork and pineapple taco with home made coleslaw and chipotle sauce followed by a little bowl of blackberry crunch. She got a kick out of it when I asked where the ice cream was as it was well over 100 degrees out and I really didn't want to walk anyway so no weight was lost today! Lol!!!

Tonight will be grilled zukeeni &   
Blooberi mufinnxs for desert 

:D

I have tomatoes coming in from the garden everyday now. I like to slice them thin, sprinkle with salt and pepper, add a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Fresh ripe tomatoes are SOOOOO good.

For breakfast it will be a bacon tomato sandwich.

I love fresh tomatoes. I don’t eat those plastic ones you find in the winter in the store. I hate the real red ripe garden ones. Try a slice of tomato in a toasted cheese sandwich. Mmmm good.

I will pass on the dolmades but I'd love a big bowl of taramasalata and a stack of hot pita bread!

edit: Boy am I late, the dolmades were 3 days ago. lol

Cammalu said:
I have tomatoes coming in from the garden everyday now. ...
"There's only two things that money can't buy
And that's true love and home-grown tomatoes."
--- Guy Clark

My earlier post said I hate the red ripe garden grown. The stupid dictation software! I eat and love fresh garden grown tomatoes. I just wanted to make that right.

I've been on a sort of low carb diet lately and I'm going to splurge today and have a turkey sandwich on this delicious thin sliced (70 cal/slice) whole grain bread I found.

I've been looking for a replacement for the Honey Wheat Berry bread by Oroweat that got discontinued. That was my favorite bread since the early 80s and I've been heartbroken over it. I don't want a bazillion seeds and nuts in my bread, which most whole grain breads seem to have now. The only breads I've found to replace it are a store brand 7 grain bread from Safeway and this Thin Sliced Ancient Grains by Simple Truth Organic which I found in Fred Meyer/Kroger. It has spelt in it and I love spelt bread. Dave's Killer Breads was making an amazing spelt bread, one of the best breads I've ever tasted, and then they weren't. I gave it a while to see if it would come back and then when it didn't, I called the company in Oregon. They told me they weren't going to make it anymore because they couldn't find a consistently good supplier of spelt flour. Well what about Bob's Red Mill which is practically right next door??? So many things I love get discontinued and then I'm heartbroken. Breads. Shampoos and conditioners (Nature's Gate). Bacon Thins crackers by Nabisco.

I just finished making a huge bowl of cole slaw. It's a vinegar slaw recipe I found online with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, dijon mustard and salt & pepper. Delicious!!

i need to cut down also.......made tuna fish sandwiches yesterday.....on a real good whole grain multi- grain bread from Costco (Innkeepers)

Yeah...so many good things don't exist anymore.....blows my mind how that happens....impermanence...............

our(central) air conditioner went out yesterday  it reminded me of what it must be like to live on the road without airconditioning....so no cooking until we get it fixed.....we have a small cheap window air conditioner & i plastered the windows with tin foil & put a (tiny) fan in one window & have a fan blowing on me & filled spray bottles with water (i had some rose water in one bottle....so lovely).....slept comfortably last night....with clean crisp white cotton sheets.... :shy:

i made a delicious salad :

Honey Crisp apple
Spinach
Sweet Vidalia Onion
Avocado
Tahinni
Sesame oil
Olive oil
Basalmic vinegar

salt 
pepper
garlic powder

:heart:

Our go-to is a can of chicken mixed with ranch, bacon, pepper and parmesan on sourdough.
We chose not to cook or worry about coolers. We buy what we can make without heat and learned to check labels more closely to ensure it is nutritional and low in sodium and sugars.
Non GMO as much as possible but on occasion we spoil ourselves and stop for a meal at a choke and puke at a truck stop.

baked chicken thighs, steamed brussel sprouts, and a glass of Chardonnay ;) I'm not a Nomad yet, but I will cook like this even out there if my little convectional oven will do the trick. If it's super hot, I like raw vegies, leftover cold meats, cottage cheese, or just some slices of Mozzarella (string cheese is handy too). I'm on **** plus I got on that because I found out I had T2 Diabetes, so low carb ;)

:thumbsup:

Too hot to cook indoors….had bbq chicken 
& guacamole /chips & lemonade

Bowl of steel cut oats, same as every evening. My cholesterol levels are going to be PERFECT by my doctor appt on the 12th.

Ha …. I bought some steel cut oats last weekend… inspired by a post of yours not too long ago ….

:heart:    I will take them with me

I dug into the “emergency” canned goods that I try to rotate every once in a while. I ate a can of Denty Moore stew. Surprisingly good for commercial canned stew. But when you read the nutrition facts the salt is outrages. The can says is 2 1/2 servings, of course I ate the whole thing. It’s 41% of the USDA daily salt per serving. Therefore I had 100% of the USDA recommended daily amount of salt. OUCH Thank God I don’t use salt or even have any in the van. I had more than enough today to last a week or more for me. I normally use Mrs. Dash.