What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boutdun said:
Colombian eggs with sausage on side
Please explain this dish, sounds interesting.

I have been feasting on crispy chicken (yes I have an oven), use the high fat cuts like thighs or wings. The point is to get salty & crunchy crackling like chicken skin on the outside. The pan seals up the meat on the underside, the skin seals the top so it stays moist inside.

Crispy Chicken

1 pkg chicken thighs or wings skin on
Salt or salt spice

Place pieces in pan skin side up, sprinkle with salt. Bake at 325 to 350 degrees uncovered for 45 minutes to an hour or more, until the skin is super crispy. Do not turn.

Not sure if you could do this dish on the stovetop with skin side down, in my experience there is much more moisture trapped in stovetop cooking, so not getting the super crispy skin. Does anyone have success with stovetop super crispy chicken?
-crofter

With triple digit heat up in the PacNW..

Green salad, grilled ham and cheese....aaaaand

A big blender of orange julius!

Colombian eggs
Decades ago I had a friend that was a resident dr from bogota, Columbia. His wife, my wife, he and I went to a fancy restaurant/club and stayed out until 4 am, he invited us to breakfast at his house. He served the eggs with tacos on the side. He said the eggs were prepared like his mother cooks in Columbia, hence, “Colombian eggs”.
Sautéed finely chopped onion
Then throw in sliced tomatoes OR part of a can of diced tomatoes,
When soft throw in the eggs and scramble together until eggs are the way you like them. No measurement given here as it depends on how many eggs. For just me, 1/4 onion, 1/3 can tomatoes, 3 eggs.
Enjoy

Oohhh that sounds good for breakfast tomorrow and some diced chiles would be good in there too.

Breakfast tacos (and burritos) are not just from South America, they are very popular in the Southwestern USA and that has been true for a great many years. That is my standard breakfast on most days. It is much easier to travel with tortillas than a loaf of bread.
I don't use canned tomatoes, I use fresh cherry or grape tomatoes and saute then with the onions. Also sometimes add diced zuccini, sweet red bell peppar or even some packaged cole slaw to the sauted veggies.

Getting more vegetable fiber into the taco is good as it helps keep you better hydrated and adds more vitamins and minerals.

One of my favorite things to do with tortillas is stir fry some onions, shredded carrots and a bag of already shredded cabbage for cole slaw, add in a scrambled egg and sometimes some slivered Chinese bbq pork and season with soy sauce and some sesame oil. Spread hoisin sauce on a tortilla, add in the veggies and roll it up. Sort of like mu shu from a restaurant. Veggies must still be a little crunchy.

I wish I had thought of this while we were at the grocery store last night. :/

Omg...im so hungry now after reading all this....all i had so far today was a smoothy after swimming at LTF...going out to dinner tonight.....i will have a huge yummy salad & a few slices of pizza.....and maybe a gin& tonic.....

Tonight or sometime tomorrow it’s an old Pennsylvania Dutch dish. New potatoes and peas creamed together. Maybe it doesn’t sound good but it’s one of my favorites. I don’t know if other cultures do that or not. One of my grandmother’s favorite jokes was about a lady Who cooks carrots and “pees” in the same pot.

I needed a shot of protein so just had a nice, cold egg salad sandwich. Making that sort-of-mu-shu wraps tonight when son gets off work.

Stopped by Fred Meyer this morning and they had all their coolers covered with thick plastic, slits every 6-8 feet so you could peek in and get what you need. Fred Meyer was out of air conditioners. Costco was out of air conditioners, I stopped by to see if they had any new glasses frames in stock. I pick out my frames ahead of my eye appointment and then check in once in a while to see if they got in anything I like better. Man, there are some absolutely adorable plastic frames these days but I've been wearing wire frames all my life and think I look bizarre in anything else. lol

nature lover

My mom made a Southern version with pole beans, new potatoes and bacon. She didn't cream it, though...it was so yummy...or maybe we were just craving new potatoes by the time they were ready to harvest.

I bought a bag of fresh peas yesterday...haha (Nature Lover is a influencer )...i don't know what i'll do with them...i normally never buy peas...i like them..but not in most things people put them in...my mom put them in so MANY things she turned me off to them mostly...haha..I'll probably just butter them with salt & pepper....and have them with some buttered fresh corn...cut off the cob....i'm turning into a butter-ball.........

At one phase in my life i wanted to join the Amish community.  One day i went inside a Amish furniture store & talked to this Amish guy about it....he told me i wouldn't fit in because of how i looked...i was shocked he would say that...was it my red hair ?   Red lipstick ?  IDK   Anyways....i loved the way they lived....to me then, THAT was the right way to live....

Sunday i made the best yummy salad :   Avocado & Red Grapes .   After i rinse the grapes i soak them in ice water to get them VERY cold first (i love ice cold grapes)....then mix them around with the avocado, fresh squeezed lemon, salt & pepper ......OMG  :heart:

Tonite i made sandwiches.... Toasted sour dough bread...buttered & mayo....munster cheese & fresh basil & hard salami ...

Been drinking a lot of grapefruit juice from TJ's  :heart:

I’ve been getting fresh ripe tomatoes from the garden and slicing them up and sprinkling salt and pepper. Then I add a dash or two of basalmic vinegar. Delicious. Don’t think there is much better that a garden tomato.

Tonight we had a yellow squash casserole. I only planted a couple of squash plants but they always go nuts and you end up giving away a ton.

We have fresh herbs we will dry also and much more than we will use if anyone wants some this winter.

Tonight it’s a ham steak and mashed potatoes. I don’t need the starch but I love my mashed potatoes. The ham steak is actually from the deli lunch meat counter sliced about a quarter an inch thick and delicious.

Camilla is right there’s nothing like a garden fresh tomato. I do a toasted cheese sandwich with a slice of tomato in it and feel like I’m in heaven. It’s also good to have a chopped up tomato in my scrambled eggs in the morning.

Sorry I can't resist,

Link is for Guy Clark with the song "Homegrown Tomatoes"

I have to agree there is nothing like homegrown tomatoes especially if they are heirloom.

Highdesertranger

HDR if you like that song look up Zack Brown grandma put summer in a jar. I think the actual title is canned goods. I can’t watch that video without a few tears about my grandma. Now it’s on to what is for unch tomorrow - the first of the year sweet corn locally grown here in PA. I cheated and had some in Florida this spring but our first local here is always good.

nature lover said:
...grandma put summer in a jar....
So true.

Making hay is that way too, such hot & sweaty work when you are putting up the hay. But then opening the bales in the cold of winter is like opening a present & spreading a feast for your animals.
-crofter

I like summer in a jar as in jam, peaches and strawberries and blackberries.... very yummy Christmas morning with pancakes and/or toast. It is a thing here in my house.

You couldn’t find it because I gave you the wrong Mr. Brown it’s not Zack Brown it’s Greg Brown.

I think this link will get you there. Sorry for the screwup my brain ain’t what it used to be.