Whats everyone Sleeping on? Im deciding on a bed design

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwest

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;">Ive just about finished the tune up and fixing the leaking injection pump so the van is going to be running again in the next day or two. So now i am about to start on jthe interior again. So far i have the flooring, insulation, electrical and wall paneling done. Now for the fun part, designing and building the interior. Originally I was thinking about having a L shape couch with the longer(vertical) part of the L as a slide out. I was going to build the slide out like the DEEP RED- self built motorhome couch bed. But I dont know if i want to puzzle cushions together to make my bed. Not sure how comfortable that would be.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">So Im curious, What is everyone else doing for a bed? Is it a perment bed, Day Bed, or some sort of converting bed? </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I have a HICUBE van which gives me plenty of room to stand up. So&nbsp;for me, I am now leaning toward making a bed similar to the BLU Dot One Night Stand Sleeper sofa. I think it looks fairly simple and since its just two peices of foam seems much more comfortable as a bed and doubles as a comfy day time couch</p>

I had a box van with a 8x12 box. That's a lot of room, but I still wanted to make the best possible use of the room. So I built bunk-beds. I slept on the lower bunk and used the top one for storage, but if I ever had guests, I had an extra bed. That's what i would suggest for you as well. Bob <br>

As soon as I hit send, I thought of a friend of mine who had a box van who built an unconventional bed. He carried a motorcycle in the box with him (his box was 8x14) So he built the bed at the very back of the box by the roll-up door. The bed was like bunkbeds but there was no bottom bed. When he rode the bike up the ramp, he parked it under the bed, and he slept on top. If you aren't carrying a motorcycle, you could put a desk or counter under the bed. Lots of ways to get the space back.<br><br>I used 2x6s to build my bunks so that I knew it was overbuilt and would last forever. Bob<br>

regular twin mattress with a foam mattress topper. I've done the air bed and futon thing. I love futons, but they are heavy and get really hard over time. The air bed lets cold come up from underneath, not to speak of leaks that have happened to me many times and it's a bother getting up in the middle of night lying on hard wood and trying to re-inflate the mattress with the cigarette lighter attachment.

<i>I made a bed frame out of 2"x4"'s. Then nailed&nbsp;nylon type webbing like you see on a lawn chair. I made it to fit a full size futon&nbsp;mattress.&nbsp;And tall enough for plenty of storage&nbsp;underneath. The bed frame weighs 35 pounds. So It is light weight. The only thing that may not&nbsp;appeal&nbsp;to some is when you lay in it it pulls you to the center. Not like a hammock though. Cost around $70 for the frame. I bought the&nbsp;mattress&nbsp;on Amazon for $120. Labor took&nbsp;approximately 3 hours.&nbsp;&nbsp;</i>

i use my camper for work/deliveries so i fixed bed is out...bought a 8" memory foam mattress from Lidl FOR &pound;70 which seems pretty good...tried the hammock but couldnt get on with it..if my box van was wider would have a high level structure at the back of the van...noticed its alot warmer at the top of the van in winter

I use a self-inflating 3" pad from REI and a good sleeping bag also from REI.
It insulates from cold surfaces. I sleep well!
2007 Chevy Express van
Ham radio equipment HF/VHF/UHF and a Honda EU2000i generator.

<p>I use a firm twin mattress.&nbsp; It's actually a little too firm so I'm looking at replacing it with a softer one.&nbsp; The twin mattress works well because I'm a big guy...&nbsp; I might try&nbsp;a mattress topper one of these days.<br /><br />The bed does not convert - it's made of 2x4's and heavy plywood.&nbsp; It fits the needs.&nbsp; There are two large plastic drawers under the bed and they provide a great deal of storage space for food, hardware, etc.</p><p>VT</p>

Just until VERY recently we were sleeping on an air mattress that blew up on a very small hand held pump, but you did need to have electricity for it. Once the air mattress was blown up to sleep on I think it had grown about 9 inches. For our sleeping arrangements and how we have our bed positioned, we were very close to the ceiling and it was hard to get in and out of bed at night to use the potty or get water or anything else. This bed lasted us a good 7 straight months until just about two nights ago we woke up flat on the boards we place the bed on, we blew it up probably three times that night and still wound up on the boards. We ended up driving into town and stopped by Jo-ann Fabrics to look at their foam pads. They had some but we thought we would continue looking. We found another Fabric store that had upholstery and things of the same nature. They had foam pads that were two inches thick but we didn't bottom out on and they were much wider than the one's at Jo-ann's. We ended up buying two of these, cost us $107.64. We also have a foam bedding that sits on top of these pads for a bit more comfort. So far so good and we didn't have to blow them up once!! Good luck on your mattress endeavor!

Lol When you said the mattress blew up on a hand held pump, I thought you meant it EXPLODED, which is why you stopped sleeping on it *grin*<br /><br />

hi,<br />I sleep soundly on a memmory foam mattress brought off the internet. like all&nbsp;mattress&nbsp;you need to have slates to aid the ventalation&nbsp;in van/boat livers&nbsp;constant battle against condensasion/damp. <br />no-mad hippy mary&nbsp;

I am also in process of planning and building my 86 G20. I was curious what you guys thought of these self inflating&nbsp;mattresses. I know Phil said that he sleeps on an REI mat but didn't comment on how it works out for him, though I am pretty sure if it didn't he would be all over something else.&nbsp;<br /><br />Anyone else have any experience with these Mats... <a href="http://www.rei.com/product/778152/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-pad">here is the one</a> I am looking at getting. Still not sure I want to go this route yet. 25" seems pretty slim, though I a not a big guy but I do have broad shoulders.&nbsp;

I spent four months last summer in a tent with one of those cots from Wal-Mart. I liked it to a point but I would want a sturdier frame if I decided to go that route again. Ideally I would prefer a full size mattress going along the back door. My main concern right now is to figure out the best sleeping situation. I am aiming towards making a tiny travel trailer but inside my van instead.

I live in a dodge dakota with a tall canopy. I have to use my truck to haul things during the day for work so I have a bed&nbsp;that runs the length of the pickup bed. It is 6ft long with 4inch foam and I put it on hinges so it folds up against the side to open the bed for hauling during the day.