Skorva bed platform 2017 Transit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calaverasgrande

Reaction score
Saw someone in a Youtube video mention using this Ikea product. The Skorva bed truss.
It's intended to go down the middle of a platform bed when using their slat system. 
They had them mounted in some European van. Vauxhall I think?

The Ford Transit has 4 oblong holes in the bulkhead sides in the rear.
I believe they are there for securing the sliding door track from the inside.
Well just eyeballing they looked the same size as the mating end of the Skorva truss.
So I cruised over to Ikea in Brooklyn to grab 4 of them.
Bad idea. Labor day weekend is when mom and dad go to Ikea to buy college dorm goodies for their little angel.
So I camped out in Red Hook for a few days. Nice place! Highly recommend for van lifers visiting NYC.
Red Hook Pizza on Pioneer is great.
Lots of places to discretely chill out. Ikea has plenty of bathrooms, wifi and cheap food too!
So I picked up the trusses on Tuesday.
They fit perfectly!
I just needed to bend the mating end by about 1 millimeter to reach around the lip.
The 4 trusses could support a twin bed just fine. But I have a full sized mattress which is 54" wide.
The distance across the trusses is about 38".
So I grabbed the slats I was going to use for furring on the driver side wall. They just happened to be 54" somehow.
Fricking perfect fit.
So now I have a 6' long, 54" wide 6" deep mattress mounted in the back. It slots in perfectly with a little squishing on the corners.
Slept great last night. Since I don't have to share space with my backpacks on the floor!

Next step is to drill some holes and secure the whole platform with L brackets.
Right now mass, gravity and graceful driving are keeping it all in place. I want to be sure that a bump doesn't bring it all crashign down.
Also my long term plan is to bolt every single thing to the walls or floors of the van.
Don't want to get skewered by my clever Ikea hack because some chucklehead cuts me off and I have to slam on the brakes.
Will post photos in a little.

[img=600x416]https://doctorruss.com/bodega/skorva1.jpg[/img]

The telescoping trusses with the hardware I was going to use to secure them, but did not fit.

[img=600x416]https://doctorruss.com/bodega/skorva3.jpg[/img]

Installed but a little disheveled. I redistributed the slats later and put the floor back in place.
(need to finish bolting the back floor down!)
Also I guess that mattress is more like 10"-12" thick?
I still cannot believe I got my regular home mattress to fit widthwise in the back like that.
Though it limits how much I can insulate the upper walls there.
Going to have to be happy with reflextix and 1/2" of foam board.
Though I am thinking Thinsulate if I can source just 64 sqft of it.

Latest posts