What we do

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
So we've been on the road since August 13th and have not looked at any news of any kind. Today we decided to look up the news and saw that there was a hurricane in Louisiana. If you've ever seen a picture of our truck it has decals that say zombie outbreak response team which is the name of a nationwide rescue group that responds to natural disasters and terrorist attacks. We're on a limited income and quite a ways away from Louisiana but we're trying to make plans to head down there on Thursday when we get paid to see what we can do to help. We can't make any promises that will make it down there but we're going to do what we can. Has anyone noticed which areas were hit hardest of where we might want to start our rescue efforts. Our group is non-government organized which means we don't have to cut through red tape to go in and do stuff we can just go. If anyone's more updated on the hurricanes impact in Louisiana and which areas were hit hardest could you please list them in this post.

It is very difficult to be allowed into a disaster area unless you get authorization from officials who are controlling access. I would suggest trying to ally yourself with a well know group who has been doing that type of work for a number of years or work with a pre existing local group. Organized efforts are more effective than a shotgun approach in disasters.

There are many reasons that access is controlled, heath and safety for the volunteers is among those reasons. There can be many health hazards from structral to things such as dead animal contamination and soils contamination from hazardous chemicals. It will take some time for the health officials to inspect for these types of things. The rebuilding efforts come later. So no hurry on getting there, there will be plenty to do even if it takes you a month to arrive. In the meantime you can find out who is coordinating the cleanup and restoration and where your help will be most wanted.

Good luck I hope this turns out well for you. It looks like such a direct hit on New Orleans it must be having an effect on thousands of people and the needs will be great for a long time to come. Even here in my area where we had a forest fire a year ago there are still recovery efforts in progress and it will last a few more years. I'd just connect with my group and see what they're doing, then join in.

maki2 said:
It is very difficult to be allowed into a disaster area unless you get authorization from officials who are controlling access. I would suggest trying to ally yourself with a well know group who has been doing that type of work for a number of years or work with a pre existing local group. Organized efforts are more effective than a shotgun approach in disasters.

There are many reasons that access is controlled, heath and safety for the volunteers is among those reasons. There can be many health hazards from structral to things such as dead animal contamination and soils contamination from hazardous chemicals. It will take some time for the health officials to inspect for these types of things. The rebuilding efforts come later. So no hurry on getting there, there will be plenty to do even if it takes you a month to arrive. In the meantime you can find out who is coordinating the cleanup and restoration and where your help will be most wanted.
Agreed, disaster areas are generally closed off to the public.What our group does is start with the areas mainstream rescuers don't get to right away, we've experienced this while responding to a tornado stricken area a couple years back. Our group is small but well trained and experienced. We just try to do what we can with what we have.

If your group is skilled/experienced in disaster response, do they not also have skill/experience reaching out to local communities to find out what kind of help is wanted, and where they're equipped to accommodate you? 

Just showing up -- especially in the early days -- can cause more problems than it solves. Right now, from what I heard on the radio this morning, they are strongly requesting everyone but official rescue personnel to stay off the roads.

So I'll add another vote for "take your time getting there." And do coordinate with local efforts, even if you go to an area they're not currently serving. That communication is so critical! Make sure you're self-sufficient so as not to draw down local resources. And be mindful of your own and others' safety.

(^^ my personal opinion based on a pretty fubar experience volunteering after Katrina + a fair amount of FEMA training)

Sorry if this sounds wet-blanketty; it is great that you want to help. But there's a reason for the saying "go slow to go fast." You'll do more good in the long run that way. Good luck!

You're very correct in your statement, we do contact the local emergency management department in effected areas that we respond to in order to best help where we can. Thanks for your response. It's always been our mission to help and not hinder the efforts of larger, more organized groups in reaching out to those in need.

TravelingZombies said:
zombie outbreak response team which is the name of a nationwide rescue group that responds to natural disasters and terrorist attacks. 

If anyone's more updated on the hurricanes impact in Louisiana and which areas were hit hardest could you please list them in this post.
Don't you have access to your nationwide rescue group information or someone to contact on what area would be your best location?   I think from what I am reading thru responses no one is comfortable saying go to 'XYZ' and help people in that area.....I don't live there, I have no clue, I have same media access as you would so I can't give you a recommended destination but it is wonderful you are willing to go into those zones and give aid/relief etc. where you can :)  more power to you!

Our fire departments locally are doing what we can to help out our fellow fire fighters in nearby fires. The forest service has our pockets funding them. Our local departments are less equipped. But even there we have to arrange our efforts to not get in anyone’s way.

I here you traveling zombies you are doing the same... if relief efforts are what you do, I’m sure your following proper protocol and making a big difference. Only your meeting the needs of people in need direct. That’s gotta feel rewarding! I think the points brought up are valid for those not trained or equipped to just go in as a Good Samaritan. I believe also you have a round two and three at least about to happen.
So ya gotta beware of current conditions and such.
Here we got belligerent people unable to understand why the forest service shut down such an area with all the forest fires. (Nothing like the fires out west)... but fires that will burn until the snow flys. We got a whopping inch of rain and they think our lakes should be overflowing. So all these people pester the people trying their best to get these fires under control to get forest lands back to the public to use. So yes, very valid concerns...

TravelingZombies said:
So we've been on the road since August 13th and have not looked at any news of any kind. Today we decided to look up the news and saw that there was a hurricane in Louisiana. If you've ever seen a picture of our truck it has decals that say zombie outbreak response team which is the name of a nationwide rescue group that responds to natural disasters and terrorist attacks. 

More info please?

yea from the original post I looked up this: from the post: zombie outbreak response team which is the name of a nationwide rescue group that responds to natural disasters and terrorist attacks----------and just zombie outbreak response team OMGOSH I hit a ton of crazy out there from all in monster trucks, to paranormal stuff to some kinda vigilant type "we aer the Equalizer' you need' and more and I didn't find just a 'relief response group' for disasters come up at all and thing is when I hit that link....I friggin' ran from that site fast.

sorry OP....alot to be linked between what you are saying you guys are to what that link you put forth....something I want no part of truly but THAT IS ME and how I see it, I would think from how ya chatted your group is out doing good...again, more power to you.

Admittedly the original founder was a little out there but the individuals took it to mean helping out your fellow people that site was merely a way for people to connect and form their own groups. Sometimes somebody has some sort of intentions like John Crockett and Ernest Walton who simply wanted to confirm Einsteins theory and the hydrogen bomb where he was against using splitting the atom into a weapon the individual members on the site are more into helping our fellow citizens than some of the other rhetoric that was on the site. We ran into a similar problem when we held a protest in 2016 for free the nipple but got our origins and starting this protest from another website where the author and founder spoke of aliens. Sometimes there's good ideas behind bad planning you just have to adjust the plans to best suit the situation that is beneficial to all both rescuers and rescuees. Like most any organization you have your good people and you have you're not so good people but I can assure you we are one of the good ones. We help others and expect nothing in return and often decline recognition or reward because helping our fellow man is reward enough if we can get them through a tough situation.

The website when we joined 4 years ago was a little more up-to-date and useful to its members. The designer / founder is no longer in charge of the site. He was one of the people that took things too far and now he's doing life in prison. The website is merely there now for people to look at to see what it is we do. I've talked to other people who've tried to join and they have had great difficulty so basically those of us that are currently members are the last. Thank you for everybody's comments and thoughts and we will be waiting until at least the 14th of September before deciding if we're going to go down there or not.

If you’re looking for another group to work with we have a group of Amish called CARE, Another group of Anabaptists called Christian aid ministries, samaritans purse, and the volunteers of America. All great organizations to work with to aid victims of natural disasters. Personally I would never do anything for the Red Cross again. In 1972 hurricane Agnes dumped tons of water on Central Pennsylvania we had flooding all over as a volunteer I didn’t sleep for 72 hours. We went to the American red Cross station and they charged us $.10 for a cuppa coffee and $.30 for a baloney sandwich. Now I know $.40 is not a lot of money, But 1972 it was more than it is now. Of course rescue workers don’t carry their wallets or their money. The volunteers of America gave us all the food water coffee soda, anything we needed. I haven’t supported the Red Cross since. And I used to teach their first aid courses too. Money makes the world go round, look what the executives of the Red Cross make compared to Samaritan’s purse. Good luck with your work it ain’t easy work but it sure is rewarding.

nature lover said
If you’re looking for another group to work with ...
Another one worth checking out is All Hands and Hearts (https://www.allhandsandhearts.org/). They don't have volunteer openings yet for Ida -- but IIRC they always take some time to scope out the situation and create a really tailored response before they recruit volunteers, so I'm guessing that when they are ready for you, they can really put you to work well. It seemed like a very thoughtful approach.

Anyway, I was impressed, YMMV.

Thanks for the other groups and info, I used to be a volunteer s.a.r. member of my local emergency management department until they had gone against my wishes of no recognition and published my photo in the local paper.
I will be checking into the other organizations mentioned above.
I appreciate EVERYONE'S responses and opinions.
The forums is a great place to be.