What to do?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoRockiesFan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a high top installed on my van and I am trying to decide what to do with the area over cab. I’d like to have a storage area up there. Do I insulate? Frame it out? Put carpet on the ceiling? What have others done to convert that area?

Thanks in advance!

I have storage over the cab. It's a conversion van so there was a little bit of insulation. But it holds clothes and blankets. They're dense enough that I don't think any more insulation is necessary

I used Reflectix through out my entire van including the high top then built the front overhead out in to cabinet for storage space.

I documented my build...link in my signature line for those coming along behind me.... :D

what type of van? how high? big enough for a loft? lol

does it pop up?

photos would help here.

Ford E350 RB, 20” fiberglass high top, no pop-up .... I might be able to sleep up there if curled in a fetal position.
I have some photos somewhere ... I’ll try to post them.

ColoRockiesFan said:
Ford E350 RB, 20” fiberglass high top, no pop-up .... I might be able to sleep up there if curled in a fetal position.
I have some photos somewhere ... I’ll try to post them.

Well I took a closer look. Definitely not enough room to curl up in there! Have decided on something similar to AT's build (thank you!) but less involved ... I'm going to lay carpet on the bottom, insulate the ceiling and sides, install luan, and then install a wood beam across the entire opening to keep stuff from falling out.