What to do with my cat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ainley53

Reaction score
I'll be joining you guys on the road next month and one of my unresolved issues is my cat. I would like to take her with me but since I plan to spend most of my days riding the mountain roads of Colorado on my motorcycle (weather permitting) what do I do with my cat. It's not a problem if it's really cold because I won't be riding in freezing weather. But when it's hot outside, that could be an issue. I'll be in a Saturn Outlook converted to a mini RV. No air conditioning while camped, just a fan and windows cracked a half inch while I'm gone. I have tarps that I can rig over the vehicle to keep it shaded. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My cat HATED being in a car for any length of time so I passed her over to my parents rather than keep her. It just would not have worked out. It really depends on the temperament of the cat. Most indoor cats are not accustomed to heat and many will tend to run off rather that get back in a vehicle. She would need to trust you and feel at home in the Outlook for it to work.

Have you gone on trips with her before? How does she react to being put in a vehicle?

I have the same problem with my dog. Even though I have a larger rig, and am parked in quite a bit of shade, if I have to make the trip into the big town an hour away, do laundry, go shopping, etc, I hate to leave her here alone for that long 3-5 hours, and finding shady parking in town (where it's 20 degrees hotter) is next to impossible. Pets are wonderful, but they do make everything a little more challenging.

I know there are a few folks here traveling with cats who will have better answers for you. Best of luck; I hope a solution presents itself!

I go to Tennessee twice a year to visit family and 2 or 3 times a year I go on motorcycle rides of several days each. I never take her with me as I felt she would rather be in my air conditioned house. I always arranged for someone to come by every other day to check on her. She's probably the ugliest cat in the world but she is very loving. She considers me to be her personal lounge cushion. It would probably be better to give her to a friend who will give her all the attention she insists on getting. It's amazing how communicative animals can be if you just pay attention.

ainley53 said:
LOL.  Do you have any idea how much sidecars cost?  She's more of a front carry baby pouch type.

There you go. And get a harness (I had to use a dog harness on my cat because she slipped all the cat ones) and a leash. Don't forget to microchip her.

You might give it a try for a few days in your driveway if that is an option. Bring her out with you (and litterbox, food, water) and spend the night. See if you can keep her in or at least around the car for a few days. She may surprise you.

Tho we travel with a small dog, I usually don't recommend pets for those new to vehicle living...at least not at first.
I think its best to developed your lifestyle and then see if a pet will fit in. We like going to museums and such. We can easily spend a day away from our van. That won't work for most any pet. Bindi is my service animal so much of the problems are solved. There are still a few challenges but my experienceon the road had already made me aware of those.

Think it over and do what's best for the animal.