What State is best to register Van by mail?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confetti

Reaction score
I've been watching Bob's videos about choosing a State.  I'm trying to figure out how to register my new-to-me campervan from afar.

Background: My domicile is Hawaii. I bought a campervan in Oregon last month.  How and where can I register it?  In 2 weeks I'll be flying back to Oregon to live and travel in it on the mainland.
Right now it has Oregon plates that expire at the end of May.  So I need to get immediate registration & plates.
I can't register it in Hawaii, obviously, because it will never be in Hawaii. So can't get safety check, etc.  I already asked.

Bob, how did you register your vehicle in Arizona?  I wouldn't be able to register it in Nevada because it's a one ton Van, and you said Nevada would insist that it's commercial.

I have to figure out which state, so I can call and get insurance. I think I have to get insurance first, right?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction!
Aloha,
Lisa

'94 Dodge Ram Van, 350, extended, high top

Confetti said:
I've been watching Bob's videos about choosing a State.  I'm trying to figure out how to register my new-to-me campervan from afar.

Background: My domicile is Hawaii. I bought a campervan in Oregon last month.  How and where can I register it?  In 2 weeks I'll be flying back to Oregon to live and travel in it on the mainland.
Right now it has Oregon plates that expire at the end of May.  So I need to get immediate registration & plates.
I can't register it in Hawaii, obviously, because it will never be in Hawaii. So can't get safety check, etc.  I already asked.

Bob, how did you register your vehicle in Arizona?  I wouldn't be able to register it in Nevada because it's a one ton Van, and you said Nevada would insist that it's commercial.

I have to figure out which state, so I can call and get insurance. I think I have to get insurance first, right?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction!
Aloha,
Lisa

'94 Dodge Ram Van, 350, extended, high top

Bob, did you have to use someone's address to register your vehicle in Arizona? Or can you just register it using your real address in a different state?
Thanks,
Lisa

I just registered in Soith Dakota and it was easy. I used mydakotaaddress.com. I mailed them the forms and checks and they got the registration for me and I got the plates in the mail a week or two later. The hard part was figuring out exactly what forms I needed and how many copies, as that could be described more clearly on their website. But overall it was nice and easy. And cheap!

Are you moving permanently or just taking a long trip?

My guess is that only SD will let you do it by mail because you're mail forwarder will do it for you.

You always need a resident address and a mailing address in the state to register a vehicle or get insurance on it. I used my girlfriends mail forwarder for my mailing address (she's an Arizona resident) and just picked a random house number as a residence address.

Yes, you almost always have to bring in proof in insurance when you get it registered--it comes first.
Bob

Thanks for your replies Falcon and Bob. I guess I'll register it in SD if I can't register in Arizona.

Bob, I'll be going on a long trip until November. Then I'll keep my rig in storage near a major airport, until I go back in the spring or whenever.
What if I do the trick you suggested about finding a house for sale in (Lake Havasu or someplace) AZ, and then using that address? Mail will go to my mail forwarding location anyway.

Thanks,
Lisa

FALCON,
Do I need to be legally domiciled in SD to register my Van there?  Or can I use my current address?
I looked at the mail forwarders website, and it looks like you have to do the whole enchilada.
Thanks,
Lisa

Bob - Can I register the van in AZ using someone's address?  
Do I actually have to drive to Arizona to register it?
Lisa

Confetti said:
Thanks for your replies Falcon and Bob.  I guess I'll register it in SD if I can't register in Arizona.

Bob, I'll be going on a long trip until November.  Then I'll keep my rig in storage near a major airport, until I go back in the spring or whenever.
What if I do the trick you suggested about finding a house for sale in (Lake Havasu or someplace) AZ, and then using that address?  Mail will go to my mail forwarding location anyway.  

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa, I don't understand, do you want to register your van in SD and get a Drivers License in AZ? That's the only reason you need to get an address in AZ and register your vehicle in SD. You have to physically be there to get a DL so why not register your vehcile there?
Bob

Bob,
Sorry I'm not being clear.  It's only because I'm weighing several options, and I'm really confused.  I'm running out of time.  Gotta get this figured out asap.

No, I am not changing my drivers license at all.  I'm only trying to register my camper van in AZ or SD.  Or even in Oregon.  Whatever.  
I just don't want to drive around in an unregistered, uninsured vehicle! 

Can I register it in Arizona? Using a random address as my "home" address.  I could actually go to Arizona to register it, because then it would give me an excuse to go to the RTR in Flagstaff!  ( I just heard about the RTR.)
I don't need a mail forwarder, but I could get one, just to make this work.

If the Arizona thing doesn't work, then I'll register it in SD as a last resort.  In that case, I would use my SD mail forwarders address as my address?
But I don't plan on ever going to SD.

Please help!  Thanks!
Lisa

Confetti,
Two choices, that I can discern. Not exactly sure what your plans are so can you clarify?

1.) You can register your campervan in Oregon, then insure it through your regular insurer. If your domicile will remain Hawaii (I assume you will be going back there?), then your DL can stay with HI while you drive your campervan with OR plates. Oregon has inexpensive vehicle registration.

2.)Where is your mailing address going to be? SD? If so you can easily register it by mail via your mail forwarder address. SD is also inexpensive and the mail forwarders do a nice job of handling the registration (and insurance) for you too.

Confetti said:
Can I register it in Arizona? Using a random address as my "home" address.  I could actually go to Arizona to register it, because then it would give me an excuse to go to the RTR in Flagstaff!  ( I just heard about the RTR.)
I don't need a mail forwarder, but I could get one, just to make this work.

Yes, you can use a random address just to register the van, no proof is required  for that. BUT as far as I know every state requires you to have a mailing address in state. But I could be wrong about that.

At the same time, your insurance company will also require both a mailing and a physical address, so yes, you must get a mail forwarder in AZ. I'm using my girlfriends, in fact I just got my new insurance cards into that address and they are sending them to me general delivery.

Here is a good one I recommend in Quartzsite:
http://www.bcmmailandship.com/
Bob