What roof rack to get for spare tire?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suemulberry

Reaction score
Please excuse my English.  I drive a compact car.  It came with a temporary spare tire that I don't trust to go on the back roads.  I want to get a full size spare tire but there is no room in the car for it. I already have a bed on the passenger side.  I was thinking to get a roof rack of some kind to put the tire on the roof but not sure what to get.   I was looking at Amazon, found tire lock, basket with cross bars, those alone come to almost $500 and I don't know what to attach those cross bars to. My car does not have any roof rack on it.  Does anyone have any idea and that does not cost an arm and a leg?  Thanks.

a lot of vehicle have an after market roof mount. what is your make model and year?

I have not seen a modern vehicle with a factory roof mount spare tire carrier. to mount a spare on the roof you need a very solid mount. the sheet metal roof will not cut it. you need a very strong rack. are any available for your vehicle? another thing how will you get the tire off and on? you can't stand on the roof.

funny story, my spares are roof rack mounted. once way up Mazourka Canyon in the Inyo Mountains I got a flat. so I climbed up on the roof rack and unbolted the tire. being lazy I thought if I just throw this tire off the roof just right it will land right next to where I need it. hahahaha right. so I threw the tire off, I was planning it to hit flat on the side wall and lie there. well the tire hit a little off not flat but a little off. it bounced once and landed almost perfectly upright then gravity took over. the tire started down hill, it bounce here and there. one good bounce sent it flying 20 feet in the air. I just stood there on the roof rack looking stupid watching my spare get further and further away. that tire ended up like a 1/4 mile down the canyon and when I went and retrieve it, rolling it back uphill seem like a mile. highdesertranger

I found some rails with the mounts for around $300, but the way they clamp on to the roof i do not think they would be to safe for a spare tire full time.