What made you happy today?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
Happy to know that my attempt at Mother's Day celebration was up to the task. I went the candy and drive in the country route. Also cooked a nice supper, shrimp Alfredo, grilled grouper, cheese grits and jalapeno cornbread. Also happy to know I won't need to cook for a few days.

Guy

That sounds awesome!  Don't know what a cheese grit is, but the rest of dinner sounds delicious.

Queen said:
That sounds awesome!  Don't know what a cheese grit is, but the rest of dinner sounds delicious.

Grits are a porridge made from dried white hulled corn. It's like a thin polenta. Cheese grits would have ... cheese.

Now, if you ever a chance to have Shrimp and Grits do it. Unless your allergic to shrimp in which case I'll have yours.

I've had grits before, my grandma was southern, but they were breakfast food with butter and sugar... adding cheese to that mixture sounds kinda gross.

And that's how I know I've entered the south, they offer them on the plate at breakfast. :D

Cammalu said:
Nice dock slynne, do you live on a lake? How nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My parents live on a lake. My sister too but in a house on the other side of the same lake. It is one nice thing about Michigan. There are so many lakes that it is easy to have a lake house. :) Also, tip for nomads: there are tons of lakefront campsites in this state of all kinds, many are free.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I could have wrote your post myself!   I remember the first year me and my brother took over dock duties from my Dad and Grandfather.  Eventually the dock needed to be replaced and so I built this one.  I designed it so I could put it in myself and it requires no tools, everything interlocks.  This is about 14 years old now.

My dad and grandfather are now gone and we were going to sell the summer home as it has too many owners which means there are too many cooks in the kitchen, making decisions.  But my cousin came forward and said she'd sell her house and move in to this one.

So I am extremely HAPPY it gets to stay in the family after all.

Yay! That is the thing with family lake houses. I've seen lots of fights over cottages and such. It is always nice when it can stay in the family for sure. Oh and that sure is a nice dock you built! I am seriously impressed. It makes me happy just to look at it

Queen said:
I've had grits before, my grandma was southern, but they were breakfast food with butter and sugar... adding cheese to that mixture sounds kinda gross.

And that's how I know I've entered the south, they offer them on the plate at breakfast. :D

Oh. You would think that it won't work as a savory dish but it does! Shrimp and grits, chhese grits, and fried catfish and grits are a favorite. This part of Michigan where I live experienced a lot of migration from the South due to auto plant jobs and so we have had the great fortune to have been exposed to a lot of southern culture. Lots of diners have grits.

What made me smile today is finding out Queen is here at CRVL!!!  

:)

How long have we known of each other? 10 years since I signed up at ADV, so about that long perhaps.

Got a pic of your van?

My neighbor came by on her way to do laundry, asked if I needed anything done.. Someone doing one of my least favorite chores..Priceless but i gave her $10

Rob

Putts said:
What made me smile today is finding out Queen is here at CRVL!!!  

:)

How long have we known of each other? 10 years since I signed up at ADV, so about that long perhaps.

Got a pic of your van?

Hey Putts!!  I'd say ten years is about right!

Ditched the Roadtrek and am back to truck camping with a tent.  We're retiring and heading down to our condo in FL to use it as a home base.  Miiiight be able to talk the wife into a cargo trailer to convert, but I'll have to get her out on the road a bit first.  :D

So glad you're here and prepping for the road, your build is amazing!

It makes me happy to see Queen is back today and, well, it is early and I have several "balls in the air" so just maybe this is just the start of my day with many things that make me happy!

Love the white grits, 2 fried eggs on top, a sprinkle of hot crumbled sausage and 2 TBS of Mexican shredded cheese. That probably really grosses up for some people, that makes me happy, happier if someone else cooked it and cleaned up after it.

Queen said:
 Miiiight be able to talk the wife into a cargo trailer to convert, but I'll have to get her out on the road a bit first.  :D

So glad you're here and prepping for the road, your build is amazing!

Keep talking...you up for a serious build?

I'm glad to be here, too. I saw you thread on other forums and I agree that this place has a very nice vibe for someone coming from the ADV motorcycle world. Not a raucous, for sure, but it has that rugged outdoors sensibility.  

Thanks, I'm really enjoying building it. The most fun part is coming up with interesting ideas. I say interesting because I won't know if they work until I get her done and on the road. But it's still fun.

Putts said:
Keep talking...you up for a serious build?

I'm glad to be here, too. I saw you thread on other forums and I agree that this place has a very nice vibe for someone coming from the ADV motorcycle world. Not a raucous, for sure, but it has that rugged outdoors sensibility.  

Thanks, I'm really enjoying building it. The most fun part is coming up with interesting ideas. I say interesting because I won't know if they work until I get her done and on the road. But it's still fun.

Had a knee replacement a couple of years ago that didn't heal up very well, so I'm more gimpy than ever.  Any build will be a bit half assed but should be okay for some quality miles.

I knew you had skills but I assumed they were in the electronics realm, your build is looking quite professional!!

Queen said:
Had a knee replacement a couple of years ago that didn't heal up very well, so I'm more gimpy than ever.  Any build will be a bit half assed but should be okay for some quality miles.

I knew you had skills but I assumed they were in the electronics realm, your build is looking quite professional!!

Sorry about the knee.  :(

Yeah, as I look around here I can see you can do a camper pretty simply and have it be totally functional. It does get a bit trickier when you plan to live in it full time, but there's lots of perfectly good rigs around here built simply and with a low budget. 

Professional!? Ha!!!  Get a real close up look and you'll see it's shade tree woodwork. But, it'll be reasonably presentable and good enough for me in the long run. Sanding, filling, and painting should cover most of the ooops moments.

Jeans made me happy today. I have a favorite brand/size/style that just fit me perfect. Went to buy some a few weeks ago and found out they discontinued said style. Bummer, same thing has happened with the last 3 brands I've loved. Time to search for my new favorites. Then last night, I decided to look on ebay. Found 4 pairs! Add that to the 4 I still have and they'll last me a good 3 or 4 years before I have to think about it again.

Least i'm not in construction anymore, when I could go through 12 pair in 6 months. I have a few dedicated pairs to be rough on.

And welcome back Queen, looking forward to seeing your posts again : )

I am awesome, I know it! JK/LOL

It is weird how much this place grabs me, I think it's because it's a place populated with some very nice like-minded folks... and there are dreams here. Reading about people fulfilling their dreams gives me a big happy!

Queen said:
It is weird how much this place grabs me, I think it's because it's a place populated with some very nice like-minded folks... and there are dreams here. Reading about people fulfilling their dreams gives me a big happy!

Yeah, never thought about why I lurk here daily- that's it!
so-
X2

Ate fast food for the first time in years. Not counting dunkin donuts :)

Yesterday I had a drip coming in from the apartment above me, the drain on his airconditioner was clogged and water was backing up and sending a steady drip onto my counter. I called maintenance and the asst manager and the maintenance guy came by. I had my Kukri, a form of a machete', on the counter out of the scabbard as I had opened some boxes with it. Overkill but what the hell. The asst manager kept looking at it but didn't say anything. I asked about spreading some flea killer in front of the apartment so I could take my cat out and put her in a tent I bought for her. Not getting a decisive answer on such a groundbreaking question I ask if the manager could stop by.

I've lived here 18 months, never had a hassle one and don't call the office except to check if I have mail. We have a new Manager.

He comes by, looks at the area the leak came from and I told him it was repaired, no more water. And I ask him about the flea stuff. He replies he doesn't want it to look like it snowed. I said not a word. Then he looks at a 6x4 inch rectangle cut into the ceiling when they repaired my cable. He looks at my kukri then the hole and asks me if I did that.

I couldn't hold it in..I told him that was the stupidest question put to me in recent memory.

The look on his arrogant face made me happy.

Rob

That one needs to go in the funny thread Gunny...

Made me laugh , too bad you didn't get a pic of that expression.

Case in point

IMG_0247.JPG

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 25