What kind of plugs should I use for rear bench bolt holes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

East

Reaction score
There's 4 large bolts holding down the stock bed in my Mark III. In my other conversion it was pretty simple to just unhinge the rear bench, however Mark III crash tested their vehicles so I guess that's why they went with a bolted down design. Any suggestions on how to plug up these holes properly after I remove the rear bench?

I used wine bottle corks, cut to fit, angled wider at the top so they won't push all the way through.

If they are threaded holes, I would probably just screw a short bolt all the way down, with some sealer around the head.

If the bolt heads protruding from the floor would be a problem, then a small circle of sheet metal epoxied over the holes.

Regards
John

We gooped the crap out of ours with silicone. It works for now.

These holes are structural mounting points, already threaded for, your immediate use, or future use.
I'd protect them by threading a bolt down into them. I'd do so with or without a D-ring for tie down.

Hole through sheet metal - glue penny over it with goop or silicone glue. Threaded hole - stick a bolt in it so you can use it in the future if it comes up.

Reducto said:
Hole through sheet metal - glue penny over it with goop or silicone glue. Threaded hole - stick a bolt in it so you can use it in the future if it comes up.

Yeah!  What he said.  NOT what I said.   

If it's threaded use a bolt w/rubber washer.

If unthreaded, get an appropriate metal/plastic/rubber plug at an auto parts or hardware store. They come in many sizes.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to go with a threaded bolt with a rubber washer as it's threaded.

Took off the paneling around the inside and discovered some nasty stuff (vintage rotten foodstuff) that was left laying around. I guess the pockets under the ash trays were a pristine garbage can for the using according to whatever kids were riding back there. Fixed the dome lamp so it lights when I open the door, the rear air and the dual rear 12v. Do you guys think running a low energy LED strip would hurt my starter battery? Eventually I'm planning on installing a few deep cycles but until then it would be nice to have a reliable lighting solution. If not I'm just going to go with the push button LED lights that run off batteries and mount.

good call with going with a bolt. you can get a button head bolt that has a low profile if that will help. east, a led strip should be ok check the a/h draw, should be real low. highdesertranger

You guys probably already know this, but for those who might not who read this thread in the future---make sure that if you put a bolt in a threaded hole that you use the same size thread as what was already in it. It's been a pain in my backside a few times to find one the same diameter and the same thread size in my mess of bolts. I also learned it the hard way.

20150112_213937_zps4iqihnay.jpg