Electrical Wire Splice Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B and C

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting ready for lithium batteries.  At the rear of my van, underneath in the weather, I have the stock house battery location.  Normally I would just disconnect the now hot (connected to my expanded battery bank) battery cable.  This cable is 6 Ga with a ring terminal.  My generator connects to the same (now missing) battery for starting with a 6 Ga cable ending in a ring terminal.  I also have a 10 Ga cable with a ring terminal that goes to my 7-pin trailer plug.  I want to keep the generator starting cable easily accessible and easily disconnected in case I need to remove the generator for servicing.  I cannot remove the cable from the generator before I remove the generator as this pigtail is the only externally accessible access before removing the generator.

My question is how best to connect these three ring terminals together?  

1.  My initial thought is to just put a bolt through them and then generously wrap with electrical tape.  This leads to a concern about water infiltration that won't dry easily.  I guess I could use the battery hold down clamp to keep the splice up and thereby allow any water infiltration to drain out.  

2. Find a small, thick plastic box and drill it full of holes to allow water to evaporate.  No idea where I would get such a box though.

Any ideas out there?  I know this place has a plethora of knowledge.  I am leaning towards #1 as it is the easiest and I am lazy.

Thanks in advance.

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Something like this might be a good idea. If exposed to the elements, don't forget to use some dielectric grease on all the conductive metal being connected. And as crofter stated, that liquid electric tape works great at sealing things like that.

https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-St...lated+battery+terminal&qid=1617211765&sr=8-19

Ooh, I like this idea!  Mount both studs at the edge of the existing metal battery box so I can get to them easily and I could just move the always hot wire over to the spare one for maintenance. 

Dielectric grease always.

OK, I went and did some shopping and ran across these dual post junction terminals.  I can connect the always hot battery cable and the trailer plug to one terminal and then connect the generator starter cable to the other.  Easy peasy disconnect.

Where is that "Like Button" again.  Thanks again PlethoraOfGuns!

^^^The link is for solar systems.

The connections I am concerned with were already in the weather connected directly to an exposed battery underneath the vehicle. The junction terminals are no different than the battery terminals that they were connected to originally.

I use Anderson connectors type used on forklifts they just pull apart. That is what have used for 10 years and they are under the van with no problem' Also they are easy to pull apart in case of a problem such as a short that is not the time  to go looking for wrench.

Brian, I am suggesting that you consider downloading the Blue Sea Systems catalog. They will hvae waterproof electrical enclosures as well as ways to do those wire connections. Plus you can call them and ask to talk to their technicians and get their recommendations at no cost other than your time. If its watertight enough for a boat in saltwater it will hold up for your van. I know you like their quality. Plus the catalog will be fun reading material.

No problem. They make them in all kinds of variations. I got 4 post ones to tie everything into my battery bank. Also, Anderson plugs are great. I used them on my last rig as quick disconnects for all my solar stuff.

51021558431_30ca783900_m.jpg

Thanks for all the extra replies.

Done deal, already ordered. I don't need waterproof, just isolation from ground.

Think of the battery under the hood of your car. The connection to the battery is not in a waterproof enclosure and my connection will be where the house battery was for over 20 years.