What kind of cleaning wipes do you use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use the Costco wet wipes for...err..."routine" cleaning. When we can't get a shower, we use "Dude Shower Body Wipes". These are for a full body wash and they work great. And even if called "Dude", women can use them too (they are unscented, hypoallergenic and have aloe). These are individually wrapped and you don't feel sticky!

I don't even see the need for using body wipes. The concept seems overly "synthetic" and chemical to me. I did try the wipes - exactly one time. I have allergies and hate chemicals. So short of going full shower mode ....

.... what I do is, each night in the van, I put a piece of newspaper on the carpet to catch drips, strip down, and then wash the body with water from a wash basin. This works quite well, especially if you've gotten sweaty during the day, and you feel quite good on getting into bed. This way I can easily get by for a few days without a full shower. 

OTOH, this doesn't help with shampooing the hair, which the body wipes won't work for anyways. I haven't quite solved the shampooing problem yet.

QinReno said:
...this doesn't help with shampooing the hair, which the body wipes won't work for anyways. I haven't quite solved the shampooing problem yet.

Since you can't handle chemicals, spray on dry shampoos are probably not a good choice.  The old school method is to simply add a bit of cornstarch to your roots...blend it in then comb/brush it out (along with dirt and oils).  Others use baby powder and baking soda...and some add a few drops of essential oils for scent.  Personally, I'd stick with easy-peasy cornstarch.

Doesn't have to be "can't handle chemicals", just grew up before they existed, so I've never used any such product, including as primary caregiver for seven babies over forty years.

Consider the whole category typically modern, over-consuming, environmentally irresponsible.

Also avoid paper towels, and only use TP if a bidet or bum gun isn't available. Which of course includes camping in low-water situations.

Just to give another perspective, trying to avoid judging, to each their own, do what you like.

@Kathy, thanks for the suggestion on hair shampooing. In the past, I have spent a LOT of time trying different shampoos at home to find what doesn't aggravate my allergies. Eg, I never use conditioners, as they are terrible bad on my sinuses. In the past, what worked well for many years was the green-colored Herbal Essence poo, but they took it off the market last year. Foo.

I just did a search on this forum on "shampoo", and will track down the links. Thanks.

QinReno said:
In the past, I have spent a LOT of time trying different shampoos at home to find what doesn't aggravate my allergies.

My favorite (wet) shampoo is old fashioned Castile soap.  

Paper towels moistened with water, followed by soap and water by hand, followed by a wet washcloth.