What I've been up to lately... (Picture heavy!)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
I haven't been on the forum for a while. I've been quite busy. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

rwjgQLw.jpg

egkNejB.jpg

HsQKnNgl.jpg

jeNHH8Jl.jpg

Kdran6dl.jpg

oTVKTn0l.jpg

hrK7Hx6h.jpg

0MahdxRh.jpg

K7NDJNkh.jpg

xfBGo2zh.jpg

Wow, quite a project! Nice to see another F450.
What are you tipping the scales at?
Dickinson wood burning stove? How does it do?

Oh, and if you'd talk a bit about cutting the cab for the walk through. Reinforcement frame or no?

Holy Mackeral! Yes you have been busy. Awesome build

I was worried about you, long time no hear. nice truck. coming to the RTR? highdesertranger

MaTaLa said:
Wow, quite a project! Nice to see another F450.
What are you tipping the scales at?
Dickinson wood burning stove? How does it do?

It's a Dickinson diesel stove, and actually, it's not up and running yet. I need to set up a pump and a day tank from my main diesel tank under the vehicle, as well as finish running the exhaust through the roof. I plan to do that in the next couple days.

As for weight, no idea! I probably should find out and update my registration, but I need to finish building it first.

MaTaLa said:
Oh, and if you'd talk a bit about cutting the cab for the walk through. Reinforcement frame or no?

I framed the opening in the "house" portion first. I then removed the back glass from the truck, grabbed my sawzall and a beer, eyeballed it hard, and hacked through the back of the cab using the framing of my doorway as a guide for the blade. It cut real easy. It's just sheet metal.

Although the house is not rigidly connected to the cab, there is spray foam (the real two-part closed cell foam) above and behind the cab, which absorbs play between the two. This is the only "reinforcement" if you'd like to call it that.

I did however lengthen the truck frame itself, from 11 feet to 13 feet. The house is 13 feet long with a 6 foot overcab, 19 feet total on the house.

cyndi said:
NICE!
Except for the snow!

I agree!

Cammalu said:
Holy Mackeral!  Yes you have been busy. Awesome build

Thanks!

highdesertranger said:
I was worried about you,  long time no hear.  nice truck.  coming to the RTR?  highdesertranger

Don't lie, you're thinking the truck is too new aren't you?
I *think* I'll make it to the RTR. On top of building my new house I've still been working full time, and I'm getting tired of working in the cold. I intend to head southwest in the next week or so and pick up work out there.

Oh yeah, forgot to include my on demand water heater. The heat shields that are around these appliances began life as an aluminum truck box, which met its fate with a sawzall and a tig welder. It is resurrected in different configurations.

c5QdfMe.jpg

Here is a picture of how I lengthened the frame on the vehicle. I used two pieces of 8" C-channel on both sides. The piece on the inside is 2' long, welded to the frame. The piece on the outside is 3' long, sistered a foot on to the frame, also welded all the way around, as well as through bolted. It's not coming off.

2yBJQHg.jpg

Dang! I'm impressed!

I can fab stuff, but welding is a skill I just don't have....good work!

_______< Thumbs Up smiley goes here.

I have a confession to make. Before this, I didn't know how to weld either.

I love it!

When I first saw the 6 foot overhang I worried that the blunt nose would be hard on fuel mileage. But then it also occurred to me that it'll make a fantastic sun shade while driving.

To heck with mileage.

The interior is improved a bit! That's a concrete counter top I made on one side, epoxy finish. The other counter is strips of pine and a bunt wood and polyurethane finish. Diesel stove running nicely as well.

twDNQdk.jpg

VfNR5cE.jpg

Uo8jSXc.jpg

dW67ry0.jpg

UoHIhfo.jpg