What is YOUR favorite FAN in the VAN so you CAN stay cool OR other small cooling devices?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance22

Reaction score
Looking for fan brands you guys use or like or sizes or what..

I just tested my house fan which is the typical 3 speed box fan and it burns 50-70 watts. I have the power for it.. however it be nicer to shave off some watts and some size given im in a minivan.

I've had a bunch of USB fans and I've had a roadpro 12v fan which was loud and blew a good amount of air.

I've saw a clip on fan for under your shirt, thought that might be good for sleeping in the van!

Also going to order some of those chill pals.

I just remember being overly hot and uncomfortable during peak summer in Texas. So looking for tips to chill out. haha.

I have a regular household Vornado fan. (This one - https://www.vornado.com/shop/made-in-usa/circulators/610-medium-air-circulator) They make a lot more models now, but I am happy with this one. Moves a lot of air. Much more than any USB fan I've ever tried. It's also better than any box fan I've ever used.

If you are in a low-humidity area, don't forget about gettiing yourself wet when you are in front of an active fan, no matter how it's powered.

Last edited:
I have an O2 Cool 10” rechargeable fan.
They cost around $30 from various sources.
For power it comes with a 12v adapter plug that outputs 9 volts DC. There is a lithium battery in it or it will take D cell batteries. So that gives you multiple choices for power. When at a location with 120v power sources I can use a 9volt adapter cord with it that fits into the power Jack. So that gives you 4 power source options making it perfect for solar, off grid and also while hooked to shore power. I have never needed to use the D cell option but it had been great to have the use of the built in lithium battery out of doors. It also has a USB port in the side so you can use that for cell phone charging or to power a USB light source. Not a super cheap fan but you do get a lot for your money with the versatility of power options.

I bought mine used at a thrift store needing only needling to find some used power adapters to run it. I have been using that thrift store find for the last 4 years as my only fan. It has been getting a many hours long daytime and evening workout in this week’s heatwave!

There is a less expensive version of that 10 inch fan without a rechargeable lithium battery and also no power adapter but it does have the input power Jack in the side for running it from a 9volt cigarette lighter adapter plug.

Last edited:
I have a regular household Vornado fan. (This one - https://www.vornado.com/shop/made-in-usa/circulators/610-medium-air-circulator) They make a lot more models now, but I am happy with this one. Moves a lot of air. Much more than any USB fan I've ever tried. It's also better than any box fan I've ever used.

If you are in a low-humidity area, don't forget about gettiing yourself wet when you are in front of an active fan, no matter how it's powered.

Thanks, that's kinda the size I thinking about.. this model says 45 watts. I'm assuming that be on max speed. The one you have do you know how much watts it uses on each setting?

I have 400 watts of solar and 200ah deep cycle battery so I could easily use it during the day's peak heat when it's sunny and hot. Since I work overnights and sleep during the mornings until early afternoons I think this would be great. Also plan on getting one of those chill pal with the wet towels to try that out as well.

I have an O2 Cool 10” rechargeable fan.
They cost around $30 from various sources.
For power it comes with a 12v adapter plug that outputs 9 volts DC. There is a lithium battery in it or it will take D cell batteries. So that gives you multiple choices for power. When at a location with 120v power sources I can use a 9volt adapter cord with it that fits into the power Jack. So that gives you 4 power source options making it perfect for solar, off grid and also while hooked to shore power. I have never needed to use the D cell option but it had been great to have the use of the built in lithium battery out of doors. It also has a USB port in the side so you can use that for cell phone charging or to power a USB light source. Not a super cheap fan but you do get a lot for your money with the versatility of power options.

I bought mine used at a thrift store needing only needling to find some used power adapters to run it. I have been using that thrift store find for the last 4 years as my only fan. It has been getting a many hours long daytime and evening workout in this week’s heatwave!

There is a less expensive version of that 10 inch fan without a rechargeable lithium battery and also no power adapter but it does have the input power Jack in the side for running it from a 9volt cigarette lighter adapter plug.

I like that!

I did some looking on amazon and the Treva O2Cool fan 10inch came up it runs off 6-7 watts and is a 10inch fan.

I recently bought a small USB fan and was pretty impressed with it's power so I think I might give this one a go as well!

Thanks,

Last time when I was in the fan full time I had 3 fans two usb and one that ran off 12v outlet and I really liked having different ones to use depending on how hot it was and my power I wanted to spend to cool myself.

Plus I have decided I am going to always have a storage locker so I can easily store 1-2 fans in there when I don't need them. I really like how slim it looks. Space is always important.

I can't wait to try out some new fans before I finally give up my typical apartment box fan and hit the road again! I was much stressed about this a few hours ago, feeling much more better about it and one less thing to worry about. thanks again! Cheers!

Thanks, that's kinda the size I thinking about.. this model says 45 watts. I'm assuming that be on max speed. The one you have do you know how much watts it uses on each setting?

I have 400 watts of solar and 200ah deep cycle battery so I could easily use it during the day's peak heat when it's sunny and hot. Since I work overnights and sleep during the mornings until early afternoons I think this would be great. Also plan on getting one of those chill pal with the wet towels to try that out as well.iNo, but I have a 200ah house battery, and it's never even come close to runnung it down. But it gets reasonably cool

I have 400 watts of solar and 200ah deep cycle battery so I could easily use it during the day's peak heat when it's sunny and hot. Since I work overnights and sleep during the mornings until early afternoons I think this would be great. Also plan on getting one of those chill pal with the wet towels to try that out as well.
I have a 200ah LiFePO house battery, and it's never come close to running it down. I usually don't run it at night however, just in the afternoon.

For me, the O2 Cool didn't cut it, but YMMV.

maxxair fan with exhaust and intake. super quiet on low, and pulls a lot of air on high. On low it draws about .1a
You can have it on exhaust and control the flow by opening windows. Probably won't work for Lance though, as we sleeps during the day and works at night. Drawing in hot air doesn't work very well...

Had a family member do a 9 week trip across the country and they used this fan. Rechargeable and it has a very handy light as well. Can be mounted just about anywhere. You might do better using two of these during the day to catch a couple different angles to keep you cool.

Portable Fan 5200mah with LED Lights, Clip on Fan for Baby, Mini Desk Hanging Fan Battery Rechargeable Personal Fan for Stroller, Car Seat, Treadmill, Camping https://a.co/d/56Yf1Tg

I have a USB powered mini swamp cooler fan, cheap from TEMU. It's really something you want directly pointed at you, but it would help in a smaller rig.

I don't have a link. There is a lot of junk on TEMU, but this wasn't. I've never had to return anything that didn't work. This product did, and electronics in general seem to be a good bet. Specifications are limited though.

I have a USB powered mini swamp cooler fan, cheap from TEMU. It's really something you want directly pointed at you, but it would help in a smaller rig.

I don't have a link. There is a lot of junk on TEMU, but this wasn't. I've never had to return anything that didn't work. This product did, and electronics in general seem to be a good bet. Specifications are limited though.
There are a lot of them. You can find them at Walmart , as seen on TV, Amazon.

They like to market them as personal AC or icy cool and whatnot.

Here is a link to one they used to advertise on TV. It's basically a portable small swamp/evaporative cooler.

Read the reviews. Think about humidity in your area and take that into account as well.

Arctic Air Pure Chill 2.0 Evaporative Air Cooler by Ontel - Powerful, Quiet, Lightweight and Portable Space Cooler with Hydro-Chill Technology For Bedroom, Office, Living Room & More,Blue https://a.co/d/2FfOM76

I use an Endless Breeze 12v 3 speed. Have had it for 35 years; first bought it to use in the boat cabin. Have rewired it a couple times but no complaints worx great. On high its about 35-40 watts. Use it mostly on low while sleeping during warm muggy nights. Sleeping in a van isnt much different than sleeping in a cuddy minus the waves.

jonny boi

I use an Endless Breeze 12v 3 speed. Have had it for 35 years; first bought it to use in the boat cabin. Have rewired it a couple times but no complaints worx great. On high its about 35-40 watts. Use it mostly on low while sleeping during warm muggy nights. Sleeping in a van isnt much different than sleeping in a cuddy minus the waves.

jonny boi
35 years? That's about as close to endless and it gets these days lol.

I found a small true evaporative (aka "swamp") cooler. ( https://amzn.to/3Vqz9Pt ) Water is pumped from a tank at the bottom and flows through a mesh. It may not cool your entire van down but it works great when pointed at you. Its only $13

Those small boxes aren't true evaporative coolers. They are more like misters. Keep in mind that evaporative coolers are effective only in drier climates.

Looking for fan brands you guys use or like or sizes or what..

I just tested my house fan which is the typical 3 speed box fan and it burns 50-70 watts. I have the power for it.. however it be nicer to shave off some watts and some size given im in a minivan.

I've had a bunch of USB fans and I've had a roadpro 12v fan which was loud and blew a good amount of air.

I've saw a clip on fan for under your shirt, thought that might be good for sleeping in the van!

Also going to order some of those chill pals.

I just remember being overly hot and uncomfortable during peak summer in Texas. So looking for tips to chill out. haha.

UPDATE

So I just picked up my Vornado 610DC Energy Smart Medium Air Circulator Fan with Variable Speed Control from Home Depo.

Price on Amazon was 120 bucks, but didn't allow ship to amazon lockers so I went with Home Depot instead but they offered the same price of 120 bucks. Walmart had it for 155 hmmm... I see you walmart trying to price gouge.. I see you...

but no, I did a few tests so my tranditonal box fan burned up some 50-70 watts. While THIS new fan burns at most 34 watts and the speed is vairable!!! Meaning no low medium and high settings you can just turn the dial to the amount of watts you have to spend!!!

I know it seems like a lot for just a fan but it's very efficient and for van lifers well worth the investment. I noticed around 10 watts I think that is the peak of getting the most out of each watt of power. I absolutely love it!

If a medium size fan (about 12 inches box size) is within your size limits and you have 5-34watts to spend during the day for a fan then you really should consider this model..

The size is a bit big for my minivan but I always have a storage locker so during the non-peak of summer it likely will sit in there but having this tool really puts my mind at ease.

Before this I mostly only had the small USB fans. Even the 12 roadpro seems tiny compaired to this fan. I'm sorry but if your limited to USB fans your REALLY LIMITING YOURSELF in your ability to deal with heat. I which somebody told me this hard truth before I hit the road the first time.

As it compaires to a box fan.. it's not nearly the same but maybe somewhere between 70-80% the same. Yet, were talking only 20% of the power!

I'm just blown away! haha. what a great fan.

I also have my chill pal and neck gator package coming from amazon early next week. I was going to get a neck fan too but decided to hold off. As for the swamp cooler I think I have to look into it better unless anyone knows the numbers behind it..

I mean people say it's for dry heat well define dry.. like 40 dew point or less or what humidity level and what is the difference between humidity and dew point and what ranges are best to use and what ranges are still okay to use and when it is no longer helpful and when is it just making it just HUMID with the hot weather.. cause hot and humid weather is my nightmare. East Texas I am looking RIGHT AT YOU!!! I thought I was going to move there but stayed there all of three days before I high taled it back to West Texas lol..

Thank you for updating us on your choice.

East Texas is my go-to-get-away, and I love it--except when it's muggy and buggy, or warmy and stormy, or when I get "blessed" half to death. Oh, well. It has trees!

Thank you for updating us on your choice.

East Texas is my go-to-get-away, and I love it--except when it's muggy and buggy, or warmy and stormy, or when I get "blessed" half to death. Oh, well. It has trees!
So I take it your're a VanFan VanFan :) Sorry just couldn't resist!