What is this thing?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz

Reaction score
Only thing that bother's me is that usually, Solenoids are rated for how many amps they can carry, sometimes there are separate rating for continuous duty and intermittent duty.  Didn't see that listed on the site you found.

Well, it's on my desk and no longer connected to anything.

I've been stripping out the "bus stuff" and harvesting cables etc. and this came out with the rest of the wire bundle and fuse panel.

Can someone point me to a basic diagram of how it might / should be wired up?

Please, explain like I'm 5. I'm not dumb but jargon and partial answers give me fits and just confuse me.

GotSmart said:

124-105111 is listed on the sticker so I'm gonna go on the assumption that it is the correct part number.

Based on what you see in the spec sheet do you think this will work to charge my batteries while driving? Will it prevent the starters (yes, there is an S on the end of that word. 2x850 CCA Duracells) from robbing my house while parked?

That is what we non-electrical folks call a "doomafloggy", which a more complication version of a "thingy".  :D

Very basic. Wire from alternator to solenoid contact terminal (1). Wire from solenoid contact terminal (2) to fuse to house battery positive. Wire from solenoid coil terminal to fuse to 12 volt circuit that is hot only when key is on. Such as heater blower fan ( before the fan switch). Wire from other solenoid coil terminal if there is one, to ground. Important to size the battery charge wires to carry the expected amperage with the least amount of voltage drop as possible. The solenoid you show is rated at 100 amps continuous. That is on the small side of such things.

Weight said:
The solenoid you show is rated at 100 amps continuous. That is on the small side of such things.

I believe it would take a direct miracle from God to cause more than 100 amps to flow between the engine and house batteries.

here's your basic diagram,

Simple-dual-battery-setup-L.jpg

highdesertranger

Attachments

• Simple-dual-battery-setup-L.jpg
    Simple-dual-battery-setup-L.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7