Best engine/body (pref shuttle bus)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andi

Reaction score
I'm putting this in the miscellaneous vehicle section because I'm a bit stuck on (short) shuttle buses, but I'm also open to (short) box trucks/stepvans, (short) Class C's, or super long Class B's or Sprinter vans. I'm looking for the best combination of engine/transmission, body and fuel efficiency to tear apart and build up with insulation and light-weight components. One thing I like about the shuttle buses is that they're made for adults (compared to school buses) and have good height and width that I can work with to fit my whole home into a small space. My impression is that their bodies are more durable than those of RVs.

I just passed up the chance to buy a newer/clean-looking Chevy c4500 Duramax diesel shuttle bus for $5500 because I waited too long to call the number posted in the window. :( Now I'm driving by a 1998 Ford E350, 160k miles, automatic transmission, dually that was used for a college and looks pretty worn down. They've posted it at $5500 but I don't think I'd offer over $4000. There's also this which is a little long for my taste: https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ctd/d/1998-g3500-diesel-bus/6718755939.html. Thisis a good size: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ctd/d/2001-gmc-savanabox-truck-srw/6707953173.html. Of course there's Craigslist and the government auction websites ... I'd like to stay around $8000 or less including any immediate parts/mechanical rebuilding needed.

I have read through a few threads (there are so many!), but maybe you all won't mind giving all that preferred-engine info again. I would like manual transmission but have the impression that that would only be an option with the box trucks.

A certain degree of stealth is preferred. If I got a shuttle bus I would cover the windows with that white perforated vinyl (see Bob's recent video with KC that was awesome) and paint it white. If I got an RV I would remove all the swooshes and paint it white. But if I got a box truck I would want to install windows and then cover them with perforated vinyl.

Diesel gets crazy expensive to maintain as it gets old, unless you are a diesel mechanic.

Hard to even find Sprinter repair shops outside densely populated areas.

Favorites here for lower-cost are older GMC/Chevy gasser drivetrains.

Body style is up to you, there is no "best" for everyone.

Little of what you're talking about would be at all "stealthy", painting over the swooshes on an RV would make it stand out more not less.

For one person, a Chevy 350 gas in a standard van (G20?). For two persons, a Chevy 350 gas in a 24 foot to 28 foot Class C.

I would look for a vehicle that requires as little work as possible. It sounds like you want a project to tear down and build up but remember all vehicles wear out and die eventually. Spend your time on the road, not in the shop.

Yeah, I feel I need something a bit longer than a camper-van, because I already have a Scamp and it's not large enough for two adults and three small dogs, plus running my business. I think the Scamp is about 12' interior. I think I need more like 18' to 20' behind the driver's seat, and as wide as possible. What vehicle would fit that description? Box truck? My intuition is still stuck on shuttle bus or box truck.

I don't want to be super-stealth, but don't want to be obviously a camper/RV on first look. In addition, from what I've seen/heard, RVs are not as well-built as buses, because they're intended for only good-weather living. I don't want to deal with a leaky roof. I don't want anything that will leak, like slideouts. (I realize that there are some well-built RVs, but they'd probably be out of my price range.)

Ok, my husband had a question about diesel because he's not sure his mechanic would be able to work on it. (His mechanic is pretty awesome, and they work on projects together.) But I do want the energy efficiency, plus the ability to convert to a used-cooking-oil setup.

My brain is still stuck on shuttle bus. I love skoolies, but they are too long and their ceilings too low. I guess I need to get out there and start trying out my options.

Is there anything specifically bad about shuttle buses?

Here's a Chevy 350 RV: https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/rvs/d/chevy-motor-home/6698807016.html -- the interior size is great, but the exterior looks cheap. I saw an RV with an exterior like that all torn up at the side of the road. Is there a way to reinforce the exterior?

I did have a conversion van before. After putting my stuff inside, there was barely room to sleep and I couldn't keep my cats there. It would be great for over-nighters, but not longer-term living.

What about this one: https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/chevrolet-aluminum-dually-box/6698430093.html? Too old?

Also, with a shuttle bus or box truck I think I could get my 150cc scooter up inside with a ramp. I guess with an RV it could go on the back.

Shuttle bus prices for strong gasser GMC drivetrain are crazy over the top for low miles, say under 150K.

Look at "step van" aka bread truck, Snap-on truck, etc.

Workhorse makes aluminum bodies so great corrosion resistance.

Maximum inside space, def not look like an RV, business-like vibe, not a party bus or hippie vibe like Skoolies.

Ex-Budget or Penske box trucks go cheap, likely well maintained.

The ones that big, 16+ feet you can get into the rear from the cab, not needing to go via outside are harder to find.

Yes, I think box trucks are very practical. I'll look for the box truck threads. Although I just found out that my friend is selling his mid-size (30 ft.), adult height "skoolie" for $3000. He already started tearing out the inside, but then was given an RV and is building a "THOF" (tiny house on foundation) so he doesn't need the bus. Apparently this bus was used to transport firefighters. I may need to shift to a skoolie forum!

I'm still looking! About to buy now. Most of what I'm finding is Ford. The Fords all are older and have big engines and poor fuel economy but lower miles.

Possibly a 2005 Dodge Sprinter for only $3500 because they bashed in the front corner of the roof, and over 220,000 miles. We have someone who can fix.

There's a 2009 chevrolet express 3500 shuttle bus, fuel: gas, odometer: 31178, title status: rebuilt, No accidents, Engine 6.0 V8 gasoline but it's listed at over $12000, which I would do but wouldn't have much left for the build, not that I plan to spend much. Would you all vote for this one?

Here's a chevy bus: 1997 Chevrolet Bus, $5,400. Seller's Description: 18 Passenger Bus, AC, Runs Good, Wheel Chair Access, Great for Conversation & Food Truck Project [I think they mean conversion]. Link, which I understand will expire soon but if you see the pic you'll know it's pretty unusual - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/609986919770441/.

More info: automatic transmission. Gas engine with 188,000 in miles. I don't think the seller knows the type of engine (other than it's gas).

I have a '92 Ford, w/ a 7.3 diesel, shuttle in our caravan. I co-built it out around 10 years ago.
Milage is around 10 - 13 mpg.

What I like about it is the engine, they can last an easy 500K and will burn oil,
and the amount of open space.

I don't really find it that hard to work on, well once I changed a couple things. ;-]

What I don't like is the curved walls and the amount of windows. It really eats up wall realistate.
I removed two during the original building out, and will probably remove two more during the rebuild that I'm starting on it.

I was a house flipper and ended up with 12 rentals plus traded 6 times to pay for my home. One thing I always said Is the houses picked me. You know I did not pick one of them. Not even my home. I bought or traded for the best deal I could find. Most of the properties were distressed. They were cheap because they needed me. So they picked me. I would let a vehicle pick me.

slow2day said:
It's funny how often you see ads for 'conversation' vans on craiglist.
needs a new transmission...and decal removal..

I was a house flipper and ended up with 12 rentals plus traded 6 times to pay for my home. One thing I always said Is the houses picked me. You know I did not pick one of them. Not even my home. I bought or traded for the best deal I could find. Most of the properties were distressed. They were cheap because they needed me. So they picked me. I would let a vehicle pick me.
Excellent thought. 😁