What is everyone doing for Christmas/holiday meals?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbearded

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have been over the gift-giving part of Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanzaa/Festivus/Solstice for a while now and I really just enjoy a good meal with family. What are some of your traditions and cooking favorites? Have you found that being nomadic changes the process?

I'm wishing everyone a happy holiday and joy in life :)

Merry Christmas. After dressing up our Christmas tree with my family, we enjoyed a delicious meal.

Howdy! I rolled in to a remote BLM campground yesterday to meet up with a friend. Planned to cook dinner for her, bought enough roast beast for a crowd, sure enough I'm inviting other lone campers and we'll have a feast. Which is basically what I do when housed, so I guess I'm doing what I normally do, which is gather up folks who would otherwise be alone and make a party. I'm Jewish, and I like to celebrate, so I sometimes get a nice long stretch of festivities in, depending on when Hanukkah falls out (being a lunar calendar type of thing). Hope you have a good one, whatever your evolving traditions bring!

The Dire Wolfess

Moxadox said:
Howdy!  I rolled in to a remote BLM campground yesterday to meet up with a friend.  Planned to cook dinner for her, bought enough roast beast for a crowd, sure enough I'm inviting other lone campers and we'll have a feast.  Which is basically what I do when housed, so I guess I'm doing what I normally do, which is gather up folks who would otherwise be alone and make a party.  I'm Jewish, and I like to celebrate, so I sometimes get a nice long stretch of festivities in, depending on when Hanukkah falls out (being a lunar calendar type of thing).  Hope you have a good one, whatever your evolving traditions bring!

The Dire Wolfess

One year I was in the hospital on Christmas day recovering from a surgery that nearly cost me my life. My only visitor that day was a Jewish friend. In those days hospital food was pretty much inedible. He went to a Denny's restaurant and brought me back a hot chicken dinner that nourished me in more than the physical sense. What could have been a very sad and bad day became a cherished memory of holiday time spent with a very kind and considerate friend.

Spending my first ever Christmas by myself in 40 years of life today. Pretty excited about it actually. Making some homemade lasagna and watching some TV all day! Housesitting for a relative while they are on vacation. Can't wait to get back on the road in a week and a half!

Cooking a turkey breast with various trimmings and vegetables and apple pie for desert. Have not yet decided if I will cook the turkey breast in the pressure cooker or put it on my Cobb Grill or stick it in an oven. I am at the workshop space where I am doing some build work and I have a small countertop convection oven here. It is still early in the day, I do't have to make any decisions about it for several more hours.

we do Christmas eve meal. Christmas day food is whatever anyone can find in the refrig.
we had pork roast and trimmings last night. Over and done.

presents are opened already this morning, everyone is happy and this is a do nothing day and eat whatever ya find and want :)

for hubby and I, we are packing rv for a 6 day trip to Savannah. Leaving first thing tomorrow morning. Can't wait.

............….apple pie for DESERT ?

Well we're out in the desert...……...LTVA in Q...………..waiting for the various RTR's and beyond...…………..

The Bleeps are hosting...…..Prime Rib and Tenderloin...………...BEEF, it's what's for dinner

and of course all the Christmas sides and DESSERTS including Ice Cream

Merry Christmas All...………………..the open road awaits...………………...

maki2 said:
One year I was in the hospital on Christmas day recovering from a surgery that nearly cost me my life. My only visitor that day was a Jewish friend. In those days hospital food was pretty much inedible. He went to a Denny's restaurant and brought me back a hot chicken dinner that nourished me in more than the physical sense. What could have been a very sad and bad day became a cherished memory of holiday time spent with a very kind and considerate friend.
That's a beautiful story. Blessings!

The Dire Wolfess

I'm getting a roast beef dinner cooked for me because I'm spending 10 hours today manning a virtual open house for people who are alone/bored/etc this Christmas. The cool thing is that I did this on Thanksgiving and one of the people who responded to that holiday invitation is cooking dinner for me today while I'm manning the phone and computer. (feel free to join me, I'm live now and will be here until 10 pm eastern/7 pm pacific time. https://chime.aws/4721003257 or just dial in for audio only at +1 206-462-5569 Meeting PIN: 4721 00 3257

As nomads every year is different. Sometimes we spend it with family and friends in their big houses with all of the conveniences. This year we're down by the river in Quartzsite with a few good rubber tramp friends. We bought a bone-in turkey breast and a couple of packages of turkey legs. Last night we had grilled turkey legs, baked potatoes, and green bean casserole. Yummy. Today we're grilling the turkey breast to have with mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, and an as yet undecided veggie. This is our first time grilling turkey but if it comes out as good as the legs did we'll be very happy!

Going over to a friend's place. He usually invites so there is somewhere between a half dozen and a dozen. I'll be bringing kimchi pancakes as an appetizer. Using the recipe from Chef John of the Food Wishes youtube channel.

my Christmas was a total bust this year...spent it in a church parking lot, no access to electric to cook anything or set up a grill for that matter... ate cold can of chicken and dumplings and that's about it...snacked on coconut macaroons, oranges, and whatever else I had in the totes that didn't require heating...at least I had food and shelter from the cool, damp temps...heading to south texas and warmer temps. I hope...
budget is blown for the rest of the month because of some unexpected expenses...but GOD provides my daily needs as they are needed...

New Years beans! Blackeyed peas,carrots,potatoes,onion,celery and a bunch of spices plus if your doing really well some baccon. Soak up what is left in the bowl with a piece of well buttered bread. We make enough to last through New Years and by then you don't want any more till cold weather next year hince "New Year's beans". LOL!!!

abnorm said:
............….apple pie for DESERT ?

Well we're out in the desert...……...LTVA in Q...………..waiting for the various RTR's and beyond...…………..

The Bleeps are hosting...…..Prime Rib and Tenderloin...………...BEEF, it's what's for dinner

and of course all the Christmas sides and DESSERTS including Ice Cream

Merry Christmas All...………………..the open road awaits...………………...
you  forget one of the top commandments of forum manners.....never pick on anyone for a typo or misspelled word, ignore that stuff because it truly is not worth mentioning.

^^^^^^ Ii cnn splel, I jst cnnt tipe.

:)

EDIT: Back in my freelance writing days, I used to drive my poor editors bonkers with all my typos.