What to do on Christmas!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshortell

Reaction score
My organization is offering a free, virtual holiday hangout for 10 hours on December 25.  If you're alone, bored, etc., on Christmas, please come join us.  Totally free, no registration required, no RSVP required, not a religious event.  Feel free to share with others; all humans and their pets are welcome.  Give and get the gift of good company by dropping in anytime during the event.  See https://dbsahartford.org/rtr/ for details on how to join us.  

Joanne Shortell,
DBSA Greater Hartford, a/k/a the Nomad Chapter of DBSA

Just a heads up for everybody. this was posted with Bob's permission and endorsement. so please don't report her for not having enough post.

Joanne was at last years RTR perhaps some of you remember her. she has been in communication with Bob throughout the year. highdesertranger

A virtual meeting? What is DBSA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good catch Cammalu that went right over my head.

Joanne we need a definition of DBSA.

highdesertranger

Hi, sorry about the abbreviation.  Before I go any further I want to reiterate that this event is NOT a support group.  It's being offered to help EVERYONE who might want something to do on Christmas. It's also totally social.  It's like an on-line meeting without an agenda.  We'll hang out, talk, maybe share pics of our pets, whatever.  You can participate by phone with voice only, or video call and/or chat room.  This is something I host personally  for 10 hours and I'd appreciate company! I did a gathering on Thanksgiving this year and I plan to continue to do this for holidays in 2019.  It's like an open house, except without the house.  Drop in anytime during the 10 hours, stay a while, go when you're bored.

Yes, DBSA is the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance.  I am the President of the Greater Hartford chapter, a 501(c)(3) in its own right and affiliated with the national DBSA.  I am also a 7-year veteran of full-time vandwelling. My vanniversary was just two days ago. You can read about why a vandweller is President and how we became the only chapter to open itself up to people who don't live in sticks and bricks on that same page with the info on the virtual party -- https://dbsahartford.org/rtr/

Bob will be introducing me to all the attendees at the 2019 RTR.  At that event I'll be more focused on nomads who might live with depression, anxiety, bipolar, etc. and finding out how we can help each other to help each other.  That's what our DBSA chapter is all about -- peer support.  We support anyone who lives with these challenges regardless of diagnosis or no diagnosis, terminology, drugs legal/Rx/illegal or no drugs, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc., etc., etc.  All the officers and everyone on the board, with the exception of one board member who is a spouse, identifies as living with a mood disorder or whatever one wants to call it.  Our board's diagnoses/labels include bipolar disorder, depression, schizoaffective disorder, and a slew of anxiety disorders.  Our slogan is, "We've been there; we can help."

Oh shit how awesome! I miss New England! Me and my dysthemia might just check in. It depends on how much sun I have to charge my junk! Thanks for doing this regardless!

Happy Vannaversearry Joanne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headache said:
Oh shit how awesome!  I miss New England!  Me and my dysthemia might just check in.  It depends on how much sun I have to charge my junk!  Thanks for doing this regardless!

Please do! It's not a problem if all you can do is dial in.  PM me if you want to talk New England -- I've lived in Western Mass, all over CT, and I love camping and hiking in Maine, NH, and Vermont.  I used to be the membership chair of the CT Appalachian Mountain Club.  I'm in Arizona right now, and given the weather, I'm not missing New England too much.

I'm in AZ as well! I survived the tornado in Springfield in 2011. I'm weird I know but I miss the snow! I keep forgetting to PM! Sorry!

Wonderful way to help others. So inspiring! So happy you are reaching out and I hope your Christmas chat online is just a happy occasion for everyone, and everyone benefits from your generosity!!! Very Cool!!

Love it! The idea, the attitude, the inclusiveness! Very impressive and best of luck! Hope to be able to stop by and chat if internet is working.

What wonderful service work!! Gobs of Good on ya!!!

Joanne's virtual Christmas hang-out is such a great idea and another way of fostering a sense of community.

I met Joanne at last year's RTR and camped with her. She also was a presenter at the WRTR.
She is an incredibly giving person and always ready to help

She will be doing seminars this year too. I was also struck by her superb organizational skills.