What is best portable AC for a car?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Julia, please listen. These guys and gals are trying to help by giving you the correct information. It's easy to misunderstand this information...and sometimes it may sound condescending. But it's rarely, if ever, meant that way here. 

The fact is that a 300 watt portable power pack, solar generator, whatever terms you prefer, will not run a window A/C for very long, if at all. Even if it manages to start the A/C and run it for a few minutes, it will very likely deplete the charge in less than an hour, probably less than 20 minutes or so if the compressor is running. 

Then it will take a day or two (or more!) of strong sunlight just to bring it back to full charge with a couple hundred watts of solar panels. Even a high dollar unit like a Kodiak will not run an A/C unit for very long.

Yes, there are folks who can run an A/C on solar but almost always they have a large roof area like on a motorhome, van or trailer, and that roof is populated with solar panels front to back. And probably 300-500 pounds of batteries and $2000-$5000 invested to make it all happen. And quite often they still use a backup generator for cloudy days and to replenish the battery bank during heavy usage times.

The solution for comfort when SUV-dwelling, or car-dwelling, is usually to relocate with the seasons. Or, keep feeding gasoline or propane into a noisy generator.

JuliaAnne2018 said:
It can be 1 of 3 ways - the sun for which I got a solar panel, and AC or car battery port.
If by "AC" you mean mains power is available, then running aircon even 24*7 will be cheap and easy.

Just nothing to do with your portable powerpak

ok I think we beat this dead horse enough for now. lets wait to hear from the original poster, before we chase this rabbit down the hole any further. highdesertranger

Got the name for my blog site,

Dead Horse and the Rabbit Holes

Kudos to those of you who know how to communicate without coming across as condescending. I have learned a lot from you, so I thank you for speaking to me like a real person unlike some of you on here.

I have learned nothing from the ones on this forum who never bothered to ask what kind of research I've done or what kind of travel experience I've had or anything. Or came across as extremely assuming. I don't need those kind of people and they never earn my respect.

As it stands, I checked how much power I needed to run what I want to run. And so far I got a lithium generator that can be charged three different ways.

I haven't resolved the air conditioner issue yet. I have other cooling methods I will be testing ALONE while running errands and so on (no dog in car).

Other than that,

I just want to be spoken to with respect. That's all I ask.

Seriously, there is a difference in some of these replies.

Some of them do come across as a direct attack. Probably unintentional but an attack nonetheless.

Others come across as genuine shares of information without the need to be unnecessarily harsh.

I don't need any negativity.

And I repeat, thank you to those of you who want to help me solve a problem instead of attack me. I do appreciate it very much thanks.

Julie

Yep. AC consumes a ton of power, so it isn't easy or cheap to come by. It can be done on a battery and solar system, but you will have to spend many thousands on batteries and panels to get to that point

You are going to have to decide on what is most important to you. AC and car or van living font play well together

I should add that I don't exactly plan to rough it too much. Not right now. I'm not even leaving for at least a week or two maybe not until the end of Sept. And when I do go, I'm probably going to be less than an hour away from the city where I was born. And probably near power supplies and water.

I have some travel stories from seven years ago I can share in another post.

Sent from my RS500 using Tapatalk

JuliaAnne2018 said:
 I have other cooling methods I will be testing 

Some more advice for you: if you're thinking of the "ice fans" or "swamp coolers" you see on YouTube, they alas likely will not be of much help for you. 

A pound of ice absorbs about 144 BTU of heat energy as it melts. Let's round that to 150 BTU. This means to get the same cooling energy as a small 2500 BTU air conditioner would require that you melt 16.67 pounds of ice per hour, or roughly 128 pounds of ice per 8-hour day (assuming none of it melts before you can use it).

A pint of evaporating water absorbs about 960 BTU of heat energy from the air. Let's round that to 1000 BTU to make the math easier. So to get the same cooling energy from a swamp cooler as from a 2500 BTU AC, therefore, one would need to evaporate about two and a half pints of water each hour, or roughly two and a half gallons of water for an 8-hour day of cooling. Plus, evaporating that much water will take a sizable fan--the dinky little things you see on YouTube won't do it. That will require a nontrivial amount of electricity.

And keep in mind that swamp coolers require low humidity to physically operate, and in most of the US they will not work at all.

Sorry--but as noted, there simply is no good easy cheap way to cool the interior of a vehicle. If there were, we'd all be using it.

Yeah...It was frustrating...it melts after about four hours. I should just stay at campgrounds and bring my AC from home. LOL

Back in the 80's my parents would travel in our full sized blue van and they had a window air conditioner in one of the back windows to use in campgrounds with 120v plug ins. That is always an option.

Running a small quiet eu2000i genny, or a cheaper "equivalent"

to power an 8000btu aircon unit

is the cheapest most practical way to go away from shore power

Will cool a pretty decent cubic living area even in very hot weather. With good insulation.

And of course the same unit works at campgrounds without the genny.

If your powerpak is lithium based, it may charge up very quickly, so maybe can go without solar completely.

It's nice to be able to camp in the shade, even deep woods.

If you use lead batts, solar is required for longevity.

I found out the vintage AC here now works turned almost halfway up. I probably won't need it by the time I leave though. May not have room for it anyway. The solar panel works good as a charger too.

Check into mini-split HVAC for the cargo van/RV/trailer.

As for the dog, find a good kennel/vet close by that can let you drop in/out during the day.
Or if the dog is crate trained, find a friend or business who would let you drop it off when you need to.

I understand.  I have a dog, too.  I face the same challenges when I travel.
She takes a lot of extra work on my part but I can't imagine life without her.

Texas Woman
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Attachments

• Sugar.JPG
    Sugar.JPG
    1.6 MB
Hi guys. I know this thread's been silent for a week, and I'm not trying to revive it, especially seeing the OPs feelings on the issue. I just want to say thanks to all those who posted for the abundance of info shared here. Especially thanks to Van Tramp, Rabbit, John61CT, lenny, and tx2sturgis.

When I got my fishhouse the techs said that it was wired for solar already, all had to do was get a panel, but warned me that it wouldn't be enough to run the air conditioner. I never really understood why 'til now. Thanks for that.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Rabbit said:
She asked, I tried to help. Life goes on.   <shrug>

:) Dear Rabbit, you were very honest and helpful in posting the info above. Nowhere in your helpful post were you “making assumptions” nor “attacking.”    You are so correct about this electrical issue and sound quite experienced. She just doesn’t sound like she is ready to accept other people’s knowledge on a very complex topic.  I am sorry your helpfulness was treated like that. You were respectful, as well as helpful.