What I would do to make money if I needed it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarmonicaBruce

Reaction score
I've been a systems analyst / database administrator for most of my working career, and I analyze everything. If I lived in Florida, and wanted to make some money, I would:

- Sell Spanish moss on ebay. Spanish moss grows everywhere in Florida. I've heard that you can get paid to take it down from fruit trees. It's free, and people sell it on ebay.

- Rent a storage unit. Go to flea markets. People with storage units find that they must take what they can fit in their car, and abandon the rest. With a van, and a storage unit, one can accumulate junk pretty easily, and sell at flea markets. Most flea markets let you get there the day before, so you're getting to camp and sell junk for one price.

- Sell stuff on ebay. I met a bar-tender in Cincinatti who sold his used blue jeans on ebay. If you go to flea markets, you can get junk for free, put it in the storage unit, and sell it on ebay.

It doesn't really sound that hard.

There's a company called Textbroker. If you don't mind journalistic writing, you can make money there. There's a test at first, but almost everyone passes it. You're assigned a rating from 1 star to 5 stars. The higher your number of stars, the greater choice of assignments are available to you. I did it for a while, but I really didn't enjoy it.

https://www.textbroker.com/

Patrick46 said:
join a BAND, man!!!!! :cool:

Yah! If I could play a hermonica I would just hang out at a park or a street corner and play for whatever pennies folks might toss my way...

Go to YouTube and look up busking. A harmonica and a hat! You could travel the world!
Consignment shops are a good way to sell stuff. Just shop for a shop that'll pay decent. Antique malls that rent you a space is another way to go. Make art, crafts. Seems like your profession would translate to you being a good organizer. How about helping people organize, like when they move, or when their closet gets out of control? That also puts you in position to relieve them of the stuff they no longer want. You then fix/upcycle and sell it.

I've been selling custom painted ornaments of peoples dogs for 20. +shipping. Takes me about an hour including the box packed and shipped. Also been selling some dog portraits. Really hope that takes off. Will be easy to do on the road.

Great info I plan to corner the Spanish moss market!

But first I am going to try it with Spanish fly.

(In the voice of Ed Sullivan) “Now here is the Beatles”

I tried "Drop Shipping" on eBay before eBay changed their ratings system and I became ineligible to sell (bastards). I would find items on Amazon, Walmart, Sears, Wayfair, Cabelas, Overstock, and Rakuten .com's and see if I could sell them off eBay for more than the cost on those sites. For example, a popular item was a camping kitchen on Cabela's I could buy from them for $99 (free shipping) and on eBay I could sell it all day long (2-3 a week during the summer where order on avg.) for $139. I was making a $30+ after eBay fees on each sale. I would get the eBay customers payment and then use that to buy off Cabela's and have it shipped as a gift direct to the eBay customer, everyone was happy for the most part, Walmart didn't have the gift option so items from there came in and some people maybe 1 in 10 would bitch about it and I have to refund the price difference (profit) to appease that eBayer. After months of doing it and screwing a few things up or the site taking my order would then cancel the order and I would have to cancel the eBay order and that happened to much so eBay shut me down. If I could do it again, I'd use only Amazon and I'd try to limit the items to a couple dozen so I could manage it better, before I had over 100 listings on eBay and was making on average $1000 a month in profits.

Funny. If I were a systems analyst and needed money, I would probably try to get a job as a systems analyst.

SweetMarie1965 said:
There's a company called Textbroker. If you don't mind journalistic writing, you can make money there. There's a test at first, but almost everyone passes it. You're assigned a rating from 1 star to 5 stars. The higher your number of stars, the greater choice of assignments are available to you. I did it for a while, but I really didn't enjoy it.

https://www.textbroker.com/

What type of pay scale?

IGBT said:
Funny. If I were a systems analyst and needed money, I would probably try to get a job as a systems analyst.

That's doing it the easy way, not the MANLY way!

Seraphim... it varies depending on what the client wanting the work done is willing to pay. There are some people doing it full time and doing quite well. I was making about $25 for a 500 word article.

A van dweller lady I follow is doing voice-overs on Fiverr. She's garnered some big clients, one is United Health Care. The posted a video on youtube.

Patrick46 said:
C'mon Bruce....

join a BAND, man!!!!! :cool:

I was talking about MAKING money, not a time-consuming funds-draining indulgence (been there, done that).

slow2day said:
Yah! If I could play a hermonica I would just hang out at a park or a street corner and play for whatever pennies folks might toss my way...

All the great harmonica players from the old days, 1930's or so, started out by playing for tips on the street. I forget who said it, but one of those guys said that during the depression "if you didn't do something impossible, they wouldn't give you a penny". I need to do more busking!

IGBT said:

YUK!!!

Scott_1776 said:
I tried "Drop Shipping" on eBay before eBay changed their ratings system and I became ineligible to sell (bastards). I would find items on Amazon, Walmart, Sears, Wayfair, Cabelas, Overstock, and Rakuten .com's and see if I could sell them off eBay for more than the cost on those sites.

That sounds like a slick deal, but I can see why people might be resentful.

SweetMarie1965 said:
Seraphim... it varies depending on what the client wanting the work done is willing to pay. There are some people doing it full time and doing quite well. I was making about $25 for a 500 word article.

A van dweller lady I follow is doing voice-overs on Fiverr. She's garnered some big clients, one is United Health Care. The posted a video on youtube.

Thanks.

so shes working for a major healthcare corp doing 4$ voiceovers?! seems like she is selling herself short there.

Anyone ever sold plasma? My pop used to tell me how he darn near payed his way through college selling plasma twice a week. This must have been early 70s. Can you still do it and does it pay well? Anyone know?

I checked a couple years ago at a plasma center and they said I wasn't eligible because I had fresh tattoos. Plus even if they are more than a year old, you couldn't have more than 10 tattoos total. At the time, you could make about $60 a week, donating twice. You also have to have a home address, not a po box. They didn't want homeless people.
So I did a drug study instead, experimental depression drugs. I ended up making several thousands over a year and half period. But I really got tired of not feeling like myself and the sexual side effects sucked. So I stopped. I feel MUCH better now!

As a drummer in a dixieland band traveling through europe playing wherever we could, the money was great. Banjo clarinet upright bass trumpet and drums, important added feature a ravishing irish girl that knew how to work the crowd, We made between 200 and 500 a day. Some people would give cigarettes wine food, I mean we played in campgrounds city centers and private parties on the French Riviera. u la la. Look up "The Bourbon Street Irregulars" Made a record 1000 for 2500 bucks. Sold them on the bandstand and the street for 15 dollars a pop.1974

It's nice having a re-newable product like this painting i did a few years back and sell at the Flea
for like 100 to 150 dollars, many sold.