What has nomad life taught you about yourself?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
I'm writing an article for a future CRVL blog post. It's about who we are, or who we become, when no one is telling us who to be. I'd like to collect your thoughts, experiences, realizations and whatnot to use as examples. 

So, what has nomad life taught you about yourself? Or, in what way has nomad life allowed you to be/become your authentic self?

I would get your permission before publishing, and only give your name if you want.

It has reminded me of what freedom is all about. When we traveled before, we always to to make reservations at hotels and planned our journey's around where we were going to stay. Now when I am on the road, I am in no hurry to go anywhere, I can stop where I want, and I can stay as long as I like. Sure the rules are still there but it's a wonderful feeling.

I am one of those who used to say I wanted to see America. The Grand Canyon, Mt Rushmore etc. I felt those beautiful places would somehow make me a well rounded traveler. Always saving never actually going anywhere. Then the shut down and the other restrictions were part of our life. I took part of my savings and purchased my DGC and packed it with basic camping gear and the knowledge thatBob shared on so many of his videos.

My first couple trips were at a state park to experiment and learn how to balance space and what I truly needed. That was not to scary so I planned my first real trip, then the second and so on.

Now my planning is based on historical sites, museums and other interesting places. Small towns are everywhere in the US with fun local legends, stories and parks.

I discovered that I am not truly a hoarder haha. I travel light and feel free and relaxed. To have the confidence to go out alone and not feel lonely or anxious about doing anything and everything on my own.

There is a difference in being lonely and being alone. I now believe I can understand and approach each without changing my travels.

I don’t see other rigs and think wow I could do so much with that bigger and better set up. Because I find the less is more for my soul.

Happiness is from within. It’s not keeping up with my neighbors.

Flickers of thoughts of going full nomad are now not scary. I think it’s a natural progression of being truly free, happy, and content.

I have found a retirement plan that allows me to be a square peg without being forced into a round hole by conformists, LOL.

Like Gypsy, nomad life has taught me that I can afford to retire in spite of life's disasters. It has also taught me that I have a tribe, and often some other person is going through the exact same thing as I am, and doing it successfully. 

Nomad life has taught me to be outside more, that life is short and to enjoy the time I have and not get hung up with negative people.
-crofter

That I don’t like living in a car but I love tiny spaces and I am surprised at the luxuries I’d like like a microwave (and a toilet and shower are a given) I could easily live in a comfortable van or Class B. I miss a strong community. I’ve gone from a total loner to someone who needs people around preferably the same ones. That’s another surprise.

That I'll never be happy or comfortable living in a house or in one place

That home is where your heart is and that wherever you go, there you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In general, for me, its taught me self-reliance. Its opened up new possibilities in life, and pushed me outside of my comfort zone. Its given me confidence in myself i didn't have before. I know that no matter how bad things get, i always have a plan to rebuild my life from square one. Its given me memories that I never would have had, even if i don't have anyone to share them with, they are still with me.

I have a sort of sticks and bricks. I moved into our old 16 x24 hunting shack years ago. It was kind of a bucket list thing. Love the community. I started hauling canoes and kayaks on the side coast to coast... while I love coming home, I can never stay long cause I love the road. My only beef on the road is how dirty people can be. Not pointing fingers... it’s people in general I think. I have found myself grabbing a garbage bag and my garbage picker upper at many places. I’m not the neatest guy on the block, but please! Haha! I’m finding I can make a difference just doing that... I since tore the shack down as I’m building a new “cabin”. But my plan is to turn it over to kids and spend more time on the road. I’m quarantined now here (last day), and it’s been nice hearing the loons calling in the night and watching spring happen! By the weekend it’s back on the road to the PNW and after this trip will be back to sporting my truck camper. Looking forward to spending most my summer in the National Forest here feeding the bears.... just kidding, I don’t feed animals. What I’ve learned is I can adapt. My passion was back country canoeing... my old body says no more... and my experience helps with the boonedocking thing and I like it. There is purpose for everyone here! Me, you... everyone. This community really intrigues me and impresses me. The lifestyle teaches me anyways that life is not about stuff, income, self, or any of that... it’s about community and what can I do to make someone else’s life a little better. Now I sound like Bob... hahaha! I’m not a Bob. I’m more someone in the background trying to do the same maybe.

So, what has nomad life taught you about yourself?

I have learned that no matter in what state I'm in, god is with us.

..... what way has nomad life allowed you to be/become your authentic self?

I can go with god and practice awareness. I can meditate and write. This has led me to a happy ending.
0aa7a290f70f3d34ea141cdba3b86ec0.jpg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

My nomad lessens were from long ago. I was always fascinated by US Western history and the places in the West where much of the history happened. part of the intrigue for me was the wild country that predominated, as well as the mindset of the people, freedom, self direction, making life happen for you. When I moved to Az from the midwest I started camping and roaming, on my motorcycle and in my pickup, and the more I did it the more I loved it. 3 trips to Ak, several all over the Rockies, moving to the northern Rockies, building a cabin (actually several) and living some of my dreams has been hguely fun and satisfying.

Im getting the urge to be more mobile again after being settled and having sort of a real job for many years. Its going to be more comfortable this time, sleeping on the ground isnt as much fun as it used to be, as well as disabling injuries that limit some of what I can do, but the desire to see new places, wake up in spectacular spots, go for morning hikes like I used to, all are drawing me back to the at least semi-nomadic lifestyle.

IMG_5229.JPG

IMG_5255.JPG

A couple short quotes from Robert Service, Call of the Wild

"....Have you wandered in the wilderness, the sagebrush desolation,
    The bunch-grass levels where the cattle graze?
  Have you whistled bits of rag-time at the end of all creation,
    And learned to know the desert's little ways?
  Have you camped upon the foothills, have you galloped o'er the ranges,
    Have you roamed the arid sun-lands through and through?
  Have you chummed up with the mesa?  Do you know its moods and changes?
    Then listen to the Wild — it's calling you."

"....[size=x-small]They have cradled you in custom, they have primed you with their preaching,
    They have soaked you in convention through and through;
  They have put you in a showcase; you're a credit to their teaching —
    But can't you hear the Wild? — it's calling you.
  Let us probe the silent places, let us seek what luck betide us;
    Let us journey to a lonely land I know.
  There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us,
    And the Wild is calling, calling... let us go."
[/size]

Attachments

• IMG_5229.JPG
    IMG_5229.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5255.JPG
    IMG_5255.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
I've been a Nomad on and off but a Nomad in a more limited sense.  My story is a bit different than most as my father & grandfather traveled in their work and I got to take many trips far and wide in the USA with them as a kid. But the traveling life was one of the best solution for them as we reside in the center of Appalachia and travel related work seems one of the best solutions for family men here. So many men here drive trucks, work for railroads, are river boat crewmen, or in other business travel occupations.

But by 10 years of age I was under the thumb of school and didn't get to travel much again until I had finally graduated and could again travel to find a position in my career field.  ("My own story" in the Van Conversion Website in my signature line)

What I've realized is the absolute vastness of America and how different areas beyond where we grew up actually are than what I/we have come to believe the country is and is about.  Travel has caused me to rethink the scheme of things I had developed in my school days.  As a traveling person, such as a Nomad, experience has taught me to be reserved and bear up when confronted by those who would judge me by the license plate on my rig. I just tell myself that their loud mouths bespeak their empty heads. Small town LEO's have been some of the worst encountered. I just remember what grandad told me as he explained, "the best way to measure a man is to empower him with some authority and he'll measure himself for you".

As for what the Nomad life has taught me, being mobile is superior to always being tied to one place.  Just having a rig where you can go on the road at will to get a new perspective on life is priceless. Long week end camping excursions or just day trips can achieve this for a person who is still in the sticks and bricks.  When I get behind the wheel of my rig I feel a transformation taking place. It brings back so many memories of when I traveled in my first rig and refreshes them in my mind.  Even though my native area seems to have a perpetual black cloud over it,  I can move to much better areas of the country and prosper there where so many who live around me don't yet realize this for themselves.  It is what gives me a more optimistic outlook than others where I live. I have learned to work from home, and by extension from my rig if I choose.  This is now my authentic self that I've developed over time. I can work for myself in the digital age and that combined with the choice of living in the sticks & bricks or a Nomad's rig.......or both.

Latest posts