What dog breeds are best suited to traveling in colder areas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternRailfan5181

Reaction score
Good morning all! So i've been considering van life for a while now, and its finally come round to deciding if i want to bring a dog along with me. My intended area of travel is very much in the northern states, i wouldn't go much more south than the southern border of Kansas; i dislike the hot and humid weather and much prefer the cooler northern climates. As for terrain, I'm looking at a mix of cities and rural or offroad travel. My big question is what specific dog breeds, if any, would be best suited to the cooler climates? Of course the second biggest question is what is the easiest way to keep your dog fed out on the road? Is it better to give them normal dog food or raw meat, or a blend of both? I've only thought of a husky, alaskan malamute, black lab, or possibly a german shepherd as far as dog breeds. Thanks and hope everyones having a good holiday! :D

John

Speaking from experience of having been blessed to live with a husky for 16 years, I can certainly attest to their cold climate capabilities. He loved winter more than life itself and would spend hours upon hours outside in the coldest weather a New England winter could throw at him. He'd lay outside in a snowstorm and let the snow bury him as it fell. Smartest dog I ever owned too.

We have been owned by a total of 4 Blue Heelers, aka Australian Cattle Dogs.  To us they are the best behaved, easiest to train and so much smarter than any other dog we have ever been owned by. 
We are very partial to them, but everyone who has a pet, theirs is the best in the whole world.
You should look at all of them, and decide if you want an "ankle biter" or a big dog.
We feed our dogs usually what we eat, along with a bit of dogfood mixed in.  I know a lot of folks are going to say not to feed them from the table, they choose not to, we choose to.  It is all a matter of preference.  What do you like the looks of the best, what do you eat, and are you willing to feed your pets what you eat? 
Good Luck with your quest!!!
Sharon

WesternRailfan5181 said:
. . .  My intended area of travel is very much in the northern states, i wouldn't go much more south than the southern border of Kansas; i dislike the hot and humid weather and much prefer the cooler northern climates. As for terrain, I'm looking at a mix of cities and rural or offroad travel. My big question is what specific dog breeds, if any, would be best suited to the cooler climates? . . . 

I've only thought of a husky, alaskan malamute, black lab, or possibly a german shepherd as far as dog breeds.

IMHO from growing up and having dogs in Northern Minnesota:  Long haired dogs handle cold better than short haired dogs.  Big dogs handle cold better than small dogs.  Huskies (and maybe other cold weather dogs) suffer in the summer heat (anything over 70ºF).  I had a Siberian Husky as a boy.  Great dog, loved cold weather, smart, but very independent.  I would get a couple of garbage bags of shed hair in the spring.

-- Spiff

I've always had Border Collies. I think that along with Aussie shepherds, and Blue Heelers, make the best travel buddies!

It seems to me like you should be considering factors beyond their temperature tolerance in choosing a dog for living with you in a van. Huskies and malamutes can certainly withstand the worst of a Montana winter easily, but they're not breeds you could ever trust off a leash (I have a friend who's a master trainer of both breeds with many trophies from working competitions, and he still has to take his dogs in and out of the dog park on leashes because if something triggers their hunt/chase instincts they simply will NOT come when he calls, and there's no way to train them to do so because it's just not in their natures). A van-dwelling dog would need to be very well-trained, I'd think, and the arctic breeds are among the hardest of all to train. Plus their lack of heat tolerance seems like it would be a serious problem in a vehicle.

German shepherds certainly are highly trainable, but they're also what us dog people call "high drive", meaning they have a huge amount of energy and NEED a job to do or get totally psycho and very destructive. The same goes for other hardcore herding/working breeds like border collies and Aussies. Satisfying their need for physical exercise AND MENTAL stimulation while vehicle-dwelling would quite literally be a full-time job.

Honestly, a lot of dog breeds are cold-tolerant enough that you'll be suffering before they are, so I'd need to know what you see yourself DOING with the dog to make recommendations on breeds. Do you want a trail dog for serious hiking? One that will provide personal protection and security? A simple companion who will be easy to live with and cuddle up to keep you warm at night?

I want to get a dog after we're settled into the trailer and am (to a lot of people's surprise) looking at large guardian breeds. Most are very low energy as they were bred to basically lay around and guard the house or sit around guarding the flock (hence the "giant couch potato" reputation of many). They deeply bond and imprint on their family, so you never need to worry about them getting out and running away or not staying with you off-leash. And, of course, even the friendliest mastiff tends to discourage trouble just by existing.

Dandelion_Puff said:
German shepherds certainly are highly trainable, but they're also what us dog people call "high drive", meaning they have a huge amount of energy and NEED a job to do or get totally psycho and very destructive. The same goes for other hardcore herding/working breeds like border collies and Aussies. Satisfying their need for physical exercise AND MENTAL stimulation while vehicle-dwelling would quite literally be a full-time job.

I completely agree. Unless you are the type of person that is really active, a herder/worker dog is not for you. I'm lucky that I have 150 acres to run Zia around in, and a G/F who is just as active as I am who runs/plays with Zia on a daily basis. Yes we have traveled with Zia in both my RV, and my G/F's truck camper. She has never been destructive, or misbehaved... Unless she sees a Squirrel. Then all bets are off...

I think the key is how much time you have everyday to interact, and play with your dog. No matter what breed the dog is. Some breeds are good at this, yet terrible at that. Some breeds take commands and visual gestures better then others.

I love border collies. Zia is agility trained and is very very intelligent. I also love dachshunds. They are just as smart and trainable.. Just slower... :-D

I would say Siberian Husky. Origin of the breed being a nomadic people in a cold climate. I loved every husky I had even if they weren't the most "obedient", but as was said huskies are very independent so as an only dog I would have to suggest a female as they grow more attached and loyal to their human.
I've seen just as many short hair dogs suffer problems from heat as I have northern breeds, as northern breeds usually have a better conscious of their core tempature. But I've seen too many dogs shivering when they shouldn't like a double coated ACD mix shivering at 40f.
If you are trying to narrow it down by resilience to cold/hot I think you are better off looking at breed personalities or better yet real dogs at your local rescue

Personally my next dog I've settled on will be a shiba inu and if it will always be welcome to crawl in my sleeping bag. I know I can't support a canine right now but maybe one day.

I hope you'll travel for a good long period of time before getting a dog. There's a lot of lifestyle changes to consider when you get a dog. Even more if you're living in a van. The decision of what breed will depend on you're lifestyle. Don't get a working dog if you're not going to or willing to spend hours, daily, making sure the dog expends itself physically and mentally.

Thanks for all the replies guys, and I am considering other factors when it comes to traveling with a dog. I currently drive trucks for a living, so I can say i'm at least comfortable with life on the road, and have been driving professionally for a little over a year now. I had in mind a more active dog breed since i do need to get more active myself, and as well i have had the goal of doing a good bit of hiking and camping. I was also considering more of a working breed for possible guard training, although i am not 100% sure on that. I used to volunteer at a shelter a few years back, so i did get a pretty good understanding of basic dog care; although i know i have a ways to go especially with the breeds i had considered. I've been around several labrador retrievers (good family dogs from what i've understood of them) and most that i had known were active enough but not hyperactive always outside. I am kinda leaning towards an active dog that can be trained to be a guard dog while still being friendly enough that people won't be overly scared of him/her, as well as one that won't mind snuggling up with me at night.

We have moved around with dogs with different "coats" and the "coat" seemed to adjust getting heavier when we changed climate.   If you are wanting a larger dog, I would suggest a yellow lab as very trainable, needing exercise but ours is not a pain if we keep her exercised.  We adopted her with an estimated age of 6.  Although a short coat, the undercoat is very thick and she seemed to handle the cold as well as our chow/shepherd mix.  "Yellow Dog" is mostly obedient, a little stubborn at times, clean in the house and protective in a watchful way rather than a vicious way.  If you get a puppy, any breed can be destructive in the beginning and a larger dog........., I favor adult dogs and animal shelters working with a specific one letting them know what you are looking for, a good shelter can really be a big help in choosing the right dog as while a breed has "tendencies", they are not all the same.   Longer coated breeds need a lot of grooming and many "blow" their coat, it is not like normal shedding!

For you, I'd go with a labrador retriever. Not so big as a German Shepherd or a Husky, though twice a year will shed profusely. Requires active play (never fully outgrows puppyhood) is very easy to train as they LOVE to be trained and obey (usually learns things the first time, it's the owner who lacks consistency in what they ask the dog to do :D)... Very loyal and can be protective, nice growl and various barks. (Had one for my first service dog, ahhhhhhh.)

There's a place online to take a personal survey to see what personality traits and living you have and matches it to breeds of dogs best suited for you.

Assuming your dog is going to spend its time with you and not chained up outside, then its cold-tolerance only has to match your own.
If you're planning to leave your dog outside while you are inside - please don't get a dog.  Dogs are companions, not lawn ornaments.

Go to shelters and rescues and meet dogs until you "click" with one.

While I do understand where your coming from, I'm not someone who would do that. Here's my basic rule if i have a dog. If hes inside, i'm inside. If he wants to go out an play, I'm out there with him. Simple as that. And i don't mind the shedding either. Lived with cats for 13 years, and cat hair gets everywhere!

Well there ya go, and glad I am to hear it :) I have little patience for people who don't treat dogs like family members.
Unless you are bigfoot, don't limit yourself to heavy coated breeds.  Even a short/thin haired breed like greyhounds, whippets and pitbulls will be fine if you put a sweater on it when you go out to play.
Choose a dog based on its temperament and the rest will work out.

It sounds like you have a good handle on living with a dog in a vehicle, actually. I have to disagree with mayble that one of the highly cold-sensitive breeds would be appropriate for you, though, even if you do intend to almost always keep it with you. Between the fact you want to spend a lot of time outside in colder weather with the dog (I assume) and that the van may get pretty chilly in winter at times, you'd be best off with something like a lab which will definitely not be suffering sooner than you are. Many of our farm dogs while I was growing up were labs and they definitely handle cold very well without having the heat sensitivity huskies do. Labs are very high-energy and slow to mentally mature, though, and aren't going to have much ability to be trained for guarding.

I could see a rottweiler being a match to almost everything you want except that they certainly will scare some people. My experience is rottweilers are generally really sweet and cuddly, but it's in their nature to protect/defend their home and family if you're threatened. You wouldn't probably need to particularly train them to do that either, and I don't think they're really cold sensitive. They are on some insurance companies' banned/dangerous dog lists, though, which can cause problems if you wanted to do something like stay in a campground or pet friendly motel. They're great dogs usually, though.

Any breed ending in 'mastiff' is also going to naturally guard you, and they tend to be low-energy too, while still being quite capable of hiking and pretty tough physically. They're usually very cuddly and affectionate with their owners too. These are NOT on the banned/dangerous lists (possibly because they're just less popular), so you wouldn't have problems with that. They're huge, though, obviously.

If you ignore the guarding part, golden retrievers and springer spaniels are two common breeds which would perfectly meet your other criteria. Springers are usually a great size, as they're smaller than most of the other breeds I'm listing but still plenty large enough to safely enjoy the outdoors and hike and camp.

Another huge thing to consider is whether you want to get an adult rescue dog or buy a puppy from a decent breeder. There are big advantages and disadvantages to both, honestly. Obviously you get to skip the puppy stage, save money, and get the satisfaction of giving an unwanted dog a home with a rescue, but you have no idea what their previous experiences have been, so may discover they have neurotic behaviors or certain phobias from their previous lives which could become a massive problem in a vehicle-living situation (imagine if they were phobic of riding in cars or of small spaces). They also have unknown breeding and medical history, so could have more expensive health issues younger, especially with a purebred shelter dog who quite likely originated in a puppy mill. A puppy from a decent breeder will cost more, but will have parents who were health and behavior tested, often going back multiple generations. A puppy will also very easily adapt to your lifestyle and won't have weird phobias from their past. You'll be able to raise and train them just how you want from the very beginning. Of course, the biggest downside other than cost is that you then have to deal with raising a puppy, lol, complete with all the middle-of-the-night potty trips and chewing phases. You'll have to housebreak them, teach basic commands, and wait until they're old enough to safely hike and camp. Going to a breeder vs. shelter is a really personal choice and there's no one 'right way' to get a dog.

To be honest, I think heat-tolerance is much more important than cold-tolerance. You can put coat or blanket on the dog or run a heater, but how will you cool him off? AC is not an option for many of us.

Here is what I think is the more important question, if it's high 80s or low 90s my dog and I still need to go for a walk, how will my dog cope with that?

There's a lot of good advice here.

Most breeds of dogs are more active than humans, with the possible exception of the ones known to be couch potato breeds; you're not going to outrun or out-active most dogs.

Unless you've had a LOT of experience training dogs, I would suggest that you get a breed that has a reputation for being fundamentally trainable, not the hardheaded ones.  Some of the herding and working breeds are smarter than people, and that can be a problem, too.

Don't get all excited about guard dog training.  Get basic obedience nailed down very well, first.  If you can't do that, don't even bother with trying to make it a guard dog.  Most dogs will let you know if something is wrong, just learn to pay attention.

If you're going to be out in wilderness country and plan to let your dog run loose, you'd better have your recall perfect.  I mean DAMNED PERFECT.  I don't know of any state, county or other country locale that won't let farmers and rangers shoot livestock and wildlife chasers on sight.  There's no warning, no whining, no calling the cops to back you up (they won't).

And have the dog tagged, microchipped and registered.  Have a vet call the registry like they found your dog, and get your cell phone number, to make sure they got the number right in the computer.  They will only give the number to vets, rescues and law enforcement.

Tattoos are basically useless, because they're mostly impossible to track down.

Bob, thanks for pointing that out and thanks to all for the helpful advice. :D I have to say though, I can think up creative and sometimes a little different ideas to solve problems. And Bob just gave me one of those ideas! As far as being microchipped and tagged, oh you can bet I'll have that done. Wouldn't have skipped that step with planning to be out in remote wilderness areas. @Trainchaser, i really didn't have formal guard training in mind, was more intending to learn the dogs body language and such so i know when he's sensing something is amiss. Anyone have a favorite spot that's pet-friendly whether its a campground or other place?

I'm only going to touch on the part where you'll be in wilderness. My biggest concern would be with having the dog trained good enough it will freeze and come back to you. I like to think that I have my dog trained well but there were a couple times he saw a deer while ahead of me and was gone before I knew what was happening, after yelling for him he came back eventually. Bears and mountain lions are my biggest concern, luckily thus far he just sits and stares at bears even when bluff charged, but if you spend serious time outdoors in wilderness you will see bears.

One other thing is wilderness established trails often get people riding their horses on them, and horse owners will not hesitate to put a dog down that goes for its horse.

Something to consider that may be frowned upon by some here is a shock collar. When I adopted my hound he was 100% a runner, my dad let him out once because he 'listened well inside' then spent 4 hours chasing him down. The shock collar combined with giving him the freedom of a big area (dog park with no other dogs in it) he learned it wasn't acceptable to run. Figure out if your dog is food motivated, if it is that'll be a huge help.

In my opinion any dog is suitable for traveling, you just have to train them and adjust a little to fit their needs as well as yours. Generally if you're warm enough they'll be warm enough unless it's a tiny sog.

Latest posts