what do you think of HITOPS?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

templedog

Reaction score
<a href="http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/2658915005.html" target="_blank">http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/2658915005.html</a><div><br></div><div>I'm thinking about this one... only if I can put a 33" Hitop on it...&nbsp;which&nbsp;costs about 1400$</div><div><br></div><div>What's strange is that the&nbsp;dimensions..</div><div><br></div><div class="featureGroupHeader" style="clear: both; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-weight: bold; padding-top: 4px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 4px; padding-left: 10px; margin-top: 16px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; ">Cargo Area Dimensions</div><div class="informationRowOn" style="padding-top: 3px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 10px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-left-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); border-right-style: solid; border-right-width: 1px; border-right-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; "><span title="126.0">Cargo Area Length @ Floor to Console (in): 126.0</span></div><div class="informationRowOff" style="padding-top: 3px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 10px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-left-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); border-right-style: solid; border-right-width: 1px; border-right-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; "><span title="98.6">Cargo Area Length @ Floor to Seat 1 (in): 98.6</span></div><div class="informationRowOn" style="padding-top: 3px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 10px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-left-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); border-right-style: solid; border-right-width: 1px; border-right-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; "><span title="51.6">Cargo Box Width @ Wheelhousings (in): 51.6</span></div><div class="informationRowOff" style="padding-top: 3px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 10px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-left-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); border-right-style: solid; border-right-width: 1px; border-right-color: rgb(213, 213, 213); overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; "><span title="47.2"><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#cc0000">Cargo Box (Area) Height (in): 47.2</font></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">Cargo Volume (ft³): 170.4</span></div><div><br></div><div>Cargo Box Height = 47.2 which is &nbsp;3.93 feet. But when I try to stand in it..it feels less than 4 feet... so I'm concerned bout&nbsp;whether&nbsp;a 24" HITOP is too short.. because I'm 6 feet tall..&nbsp;</div>

Check out junk yards. You can probably find a used hitop in good shape. Takes a couple of people, but not difficult to mount.

I wouldn't use a van without a high top, personally. Too many advantages.

As G.M. certified mechanic, I will tell you that the 4.3 isn't too strong to begin with, and with 180k miles? &nbsp;For that kind of money?&nbsp;<div><br></div><div><div>Like i tell anyone who'll listen about checking out engines. make sure its COLD (overnight cold) and then listen for cold start bearing noise and/or piston slap. &nbsp;I always use a cheap laser thermometer to determine if the owner starts it up before I get there (after I advise that i want it "not started"). &nbsp;It only take10 seconds or so to hide the initial cold bearing noise / piston slap, so the&nbsp;thermometer tells me if the seller is a liar as well (point it at the exhaust)...&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>If they hide the fact that they started it briefly before you started it, what else are they hiding? &nbsp;lol &nbsp; In my experience, 75% lie about not starting it (they never think someone will show up with the laser thermometer).&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>For me, that is way too much money for a 180k V6 motor... I don't care if he "supposedly" ran synthetic or not... &nbsp;JMHO</div><div><br></div><div>You should be able to find a hi-top "something" for that kind of cash...</div><div><br></div><div>AJ</div><div>&nbsp;</div></div>

I went and test drove it today. He used it for audio&nbsp;equipment&nbsp;buisness I guess. And he said he needed a bigger Van.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>It ran good and what not.. as far as jump in and go. hehe, but yeah, way way too much. He thinks it's cool or something because of the custom rims and a cd player.. kinda goofy.</div><div><br></div><div>I just found this one today actually. I will test drive it<font class="Apple-style-span" color="#cc0000"> </font>tomorrow. &nbsp;It's very&nbsp;similar.</div><div><a href="http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/2709274729.html" target="_blank">http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/2709274729.html</a></div><div><br></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#000099">Am I wrong to be liking the Chevy Astro?</font> Right now I drive a Jeep Wrangler everyday that gets 2 more MPG then the Astro, so a website claims. &nbsp;I will be putting some weight in it.. like a 30 lb water tank (or whatever is a good size for teeth brushing and face washing),&nbsp;compost&nbsp;toilet with lumber counters in the back for the sink. A Bed and a tble and chairs.&nbsp;</div>

Here in Alabama near the Georgia line, trucks command a rediculous price, so $3950 for a 97 with $188 kmi isn't out of the question , in fact , it's the norm. But better prices can be had. I bought my 2000 minibus for $1800 with 95k on it a year and a half ago. I am 6' tall and I can stand in it slightly hunched over, which makes pulling pants on MUCH easier. ( the bus conversion added 14"" to the factory height) I do pay for it in fuel use, I avg 11 in town and 13.5 hwy. Three weeks ago , I bought a 2001 chevy blazer 4 dr, 4x4 in pristine condition ( new brakes, interstate batt, shocks, wrangler tires, engine was armor-all-ed) with 121k on it for $3800, which blue books for around $5200 retail. Both were govt. owned and maintained. The bus was a state prison transporter and the blazer was a utility company(TVA) supervisors truck. Govt auctions or sales are well worth checking out.
Even if pickings look pretty slim in your area, it pays to do a THOUROUGH search before deciding to buy, unless something has a huge ""gotta have it" or "wow" factor. And lastly, a couple of decades ago, over 100k was washed up and close to useless. Now, seeing used vehicles with 200, 250 or even 300kmi on them is not all that uncommon, so don't just judge by miles.
Les

When I was looking for my van I did consider Astros for a while - passenger ones of about the same age as these. I did a bit of research first because I knew they weren't full-size vans and wasn't sure they'd be big enough. I think what I learned was that the original models, up to about '94, were shorter than the later ones by a foot or two. But both of these ads are for later ones and one definitely looks shorter than the other. Maybe I'm just remembering the specs for the passenger models and the cargo versions were different. <br><br>I did test drive one - a passenger model - and the size ended up not being a consideration because the van felt underpowered. This surprised me because my previous car, which I'd had for 15 years, was a 4-cylinder with a 1.9 liter engine so I expected that *any* van I drove would feel too powerful to me. To drive one that felt like it was struggling - the fact that I even noticed this made an impression on me. After that I didn't look at any more Astros.<br><br>But that's just my take, and I did drive only one so your experience may be different. I do have a couple of other questions, though:<br>- Have you checked to be sure you can get a high top for this model? I'm not sure a top for a full-size van will fit on an Astro.<br>- If you *can* get one, 33" seems way too high. This was a priority for me too and my van has the tallest top I've seen. But I would bet it's only 18". At 5'5" I can stand straight up in it with plenty of room above my head, and so could the previous owner who was almost 6'. Maybe the difference is that it *is* a full-size van; maybe the Astro's inside height is shorter.&nbsp; I'll see if I can get some measurements for you tomorrow just for comparison. <br><br>I admit I haven't looked at high tops in a while so maybe things have changed. The price you quoted&nbsp; ($1400) does go with I remember, though. And if you can do it yourself you'll save at least twice that on installation (which is why I had to find one with the top already installed).<br><br>Meg<br><br>

If it were me I'd be looking for a full size&nbsp; high-top conversion van (a Dodge with a 318 v8 gets great mpg). The mpg won't be that much less and you will have LOTS more room. The Astro is a great van but the few extra mpg isn't worth the loss of room for me. Plus the cost and hassle of having to add a hightop ruins it for me. <br><br>But, everyone is different and I know a lot of vandwellers who love living in their Astro vans. Bob <br>

Here are the Cargo stats of Chevy Astro Vs Ford E-250&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Astro height =&nbsp;3.933333333333333 feet</div><div><br></div><div>E -250 &nbsp;=&nbsp;4.375 feet</div><div><br></div><div>If I put a hi-top on it that is 24 inches.. because I am 6 feet tall... the extra 4 inches the E - 250 gives me... will probably be worth the comfort. &nbsp;emailed a HI-TOP company.. they said anything over 24" they will have to custom build for me... which means... expensive I am guessing.... &nbsp;so I'm basically thinking non Astro now.. because I like comfort..plus after I spray foam it... that will be an inch or more lost</div>

You'll be like a mummy in an Astro. &nbsp;I agree with Bob, a 318 Dodge will last forever, if serviced correctly.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div><br></div>

<div id="yui_3_2_0_1_1322112765026149" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3" color="#cc0000">This is an email they sent me on a quote.&nbsp;</font></div><div id="yui_3_2_0_1_1322112765026149" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3"><br></font></div><div id="yui_3_2_0_1_1322112765026149" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3"><br></font></div><div id="yui_3_2_0_1_1322112765026149" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3" id="yui_3_2_0_1_1322112765026146">The Highest top that we manufacture for the Ford Standard Body would be the 24" Bubble Price is as follows:</font></div><div style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3"><br></font></div><div id="yui_3_2_0_1_1322112765026135" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3" id="yui_3_2_0_1_1322112765026134">24" Bubble Top in a white primer gelcoat... $1450.00</font></div><div style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3">Crate and Packaging....................................$250.00</font></div><div style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3">12"X43" half sliding windows set installed.....$550.00 (optional)</font></div><div id="yui_3_2_0_1_1322112765026145" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3" id="yui_3_2_0_1_1322112765026144">Inside fiberglass liner...................................$450.00 (optional)</font></div><div style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3">Wire drops (2)..............................................$60.00 (optional only when ordered with liner)</font></div><div style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3"><br></font></div><div style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3">Estimated Freight quote: $380.00</font></div><div style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" size="3">(we work with 5 different freight brokers, if you decide to place the order, when it comes time to get the top shipped we will try to get a better quote)</font></div><div style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">If you have any questions please feel free to give us a call or reply to this e-mail.</div><div style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><div><br><div style="font-size: 16px; clear: both; "><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">Thank you,<br>Gonzalo Rico Jr<br></font></font><div><span class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" style="font-size: medium; ">VP</span></div><div><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif"><strong style="font-weight: bold; ">Fiberine</strong></font></font></div><span class="yshortcuts" id="lw_1322113058_0"><div><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif"><b>1633 E Sandison St.</b></font></font></div><div><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif"><b>Wilmington, CA 90744</b></font></font></div></span><div><span class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" style="font-size: medium; "><b><span class="yshortcuts" id="lw_1322113058_1">310-830-1881</span>&nbsp;Phone</b></span></div><div><span class="yiv1701113250Apple-style-span" style="font-size: medium; "><b><span class="yshortcuts" id="lw_1322113058_2">310-830-9937</span>&nbsp;Fax</b></span></div></div></div></div>

I'm very hesitant about an Astro van with that many miles. $3900 can buy a&nbsp;full size&nbsp;van that I personally would trust to be more durable. I think you'll get more van and more dependability for your money.<BR><BR>My wife had an '02 MPG - and I've been a fan of the Mazdas - but the trouble we had with that vehicle was exacerbated by the front-wheel drive design&nbsp; - and my (professional mechanic)&nbsp;friend and I did all the work in his shop. Plus, I'm a stickler for maintenance. I would not own another front wheel drive mini-van, no matter what manufacture.<BR><BR>The last year I put about $4000 in that unit - and I didn't pay labor except about $600 for a transmission overhaul. It was a 7 year old vehicle at the time, under 100,000 miles. It took us twice as long to drop the tranny as a rear wheel drive vehicle. If I'd been paying for labor...<BR><BR>Just my opinion. Stick to a larger van with rear wheel drive.<BR><BR><BR>

<P>No one can answer that question for you. If you think the vehicle is dependable, you've looked it over thouroughly, you've thought about it and you're comfortable with the decision...</P>

ok. I just get nervous. What's cool is that this one has decals for stealth

<p style="margin: 0px;">Dog, I say ... if you like it, buy it. Offer less, say $1500 cash. You may be able to get it for less, so negotiate. </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">You can re-use the inside wood for your build-out. It looks like a roomy van.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Bob</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">PS: I don't think those decals say stealth, they say I'm carrying tools worth stealing.</p>

1800$ I get it Monday ... I will be an official van dweller... then the real. work will begin. save for hightop

<P>Good job. Again, check the junkyards - I mean, the auto recycling centers (they don't like the term 'junkyard' anymore) - for usable high tops. Even if they look ugly, which will bring the price down. I'd think really hard before putting that much money into a new hightop. </P>

ok. I will definitely be doing that. there are many salvage yards around. within a 2 hr drive around me. I wonder how much they charge..

4x4tour said:
As G.M. certified mechanic, I will tell you that the 4.3 isn't too strong to begin with, and with 180k miles? &nbsp;For that kind of money?&nbsp;<div><br></div><div><div>Like i tell anyone who'll listen about checking out engines. make sure its COLD (overnight cold) and then listen for cold start bearing noise and/or piston slap. &nbsp;I always use a cheap laser thermometer to determine if the owner starts it up before I get there (after I advise that i want it "not started"). &nbsp;It only take10 seconds or so to hide the initial cold bearing noise / piston slap, so the&nbsp;thermometer tells me if the seller is a liar as well (point it at the exhaust)...&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>If they hide the fact that they started it briefly before you started it, what else are they hiding? &nbsp;lol &nbsp; In my experience, 75% lie about not starting it (they never think someone will show up with the laser thermometer).&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>For me, that is way too much money for a 180k V6 motor... I don't care if he "supposedly" ran synthetic or not... &nbsp;JMHO</div><div><br></div><div>You should be able to find a hi-top "something" for that kind of cash...</div><div><br></div><div>AJ</div><div>&nbsp;</div></div>
<div><br></div><div>hey 4x4, what does that piston slap sound like? &nbsp;I know it should be obvious, but is it possible to confuse that sound with a bad fan clutch?</div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">
I wonder how much they charge.. <br>
</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Depends on the salvage yard and the condition of the top.&nbsp; Some places are reasonable, some are not. Also depends if they remove the part for you, or if you remove it yourself. Just find out what year vehicles have the same body style as yours, so you know which will fit exactly. Then call around and ask.</p>