What do you think about this 1994 Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thoreau

Reaction score
Hi everyone,<br /><br />I'd like to call upon your collective wisdom in helping me think about this van. It's a 1994 Chevy, high roof, with only 75,000 miles. (I don't yet know if it's a 1 ton or 3/4 ton.) Supposedly the engine and transmission are in good condition. I do want the high roof, and I haven't seen that many around, so I'm tempted.<br /><br />I've tried to attach a couple of photos.<br /><br />The seller does not have it tagged for road use, so while I can test drive it on a semi-private road where he lives, I won't be able to bring it to a mechanic before I buy. He's asking around $2,500.<br /><br />What do you think I should keep in mind? What would you do in a case like this?<br /><br />Thanks

Seems a little overpriced imho. I bought a 96 for $1800 runs good needed no work, no rust. Take your time and look at several. Today people are selling them cheap and buying better fuel economy cars. in my state their a dime a dozen.

If it truly has only 75,000 miles, I would think it would be worth the asking price. Mine just turned 100,000 miles and runs great. <br />Don't be afraid to offer $2,000. Make sure you look it over well first though. <br />-Bruce

Can't you get temp plates to take it to a mechanic?&nbsp; Probably worth the cost if you are really interested.&nbsp; Mine is smaller, 1998 with 62K miles and I paid $7000.&nbsp; In excellent condition, I have not regretted my decision.<br /><br />Lifey

I agree don't make any decisions until a&nbsp;<span style="line-height: 20px; text-align: left;">mechanic sees it 1st if your really interested in this van. Good point&nbsp;</span><span style="text-align: left; white-space: nowrap;">Ballenxj,&nbsp;</span><span style="line-height: 20px; text-align: left;">when i bought mine he was asking 2300. I said i have 1800 cash right now and he said ok. I was like to myself wow it worked....lol</span>

Thank you Living Free, Bruce, and Lifey, for your thoughts and suggestions. <br /><br />I agree that offering 2,000 cash would be a fair and respectful offer, and worth seeing if the seller would accept.<br /><br />On the mechanic thing: Undoubtedly, you're right, getting it checked by a mechanic is the smart thing to do. But my state does not offer temporary tags except to dealerships. This is a private seller. It seems that I'd have to buy insurance and get tags, and only then legally be able to take it to a mechanic. <br /><br />Or...Would a mechanic be able to check it out at the seller's place? Or does the mechanic need a lift and other large machines to do his inspection?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Michael

Ideally a mechanic would want to put it up on a hoist.&nbsp; But even if you can get a trusted mechanic of your choice, not the seller's choice, to look at it, start it up, and if possible drive it around where it is.&nbsp; Would still be better than nothing.<br /><br />Mind you, I had to arrange all that from 12000 miles away, when I bought mine, unseen.&nbsp;&nbsp; I had a lot of help from friends on another forum.&nbsp; Lost count of how many international phone calls I made.&nbsp; But in the end, it was all worth it.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br /><br />Lifey

Update: 'Just got back from seeing the vehicle (in person), and there was prominent rust on too many places inside and outside the van--plus obvious signs of water damage to walls, celing, doors, etc. <br /><br />So I won't be getting that van. But it was a good learning opportunity to directly experience the dimensions of that type of van.<br /><br />Thanks to all for your responses.<br /><br />"The search goes on..."<br /><br />Michael