What do you "prep" for that you can't roll away from?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hammer fever.   :p  

Those that have control of the vital sources have the power of life and death.  Who do you allow in?

As a ten year old I read Alas, Babylon, and the world was never the same.

Corky

I lived in Valley Nebraska, just west of Offut just prior to reading the book.  

Corky

For those of you who are interested in exploring a forum dedicated to prepping, I recommend visiting Emergency-Preps.com. I know that the URL doesn't match; that's due to some hosting issues that the site's founder ran into a while back.

I'm partial to the super volcano, Yellowstone Caldera... though prepping for such a cataclysmic event would stave off the inevitable for a short time. We are all related to some 7000 survivors of the last super volcano eruption 65,000 years ago in the South Pacific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

We're ready or the small stuff, power outages, fires, weather events.

What I "prep" for is natural disasters. Hurricanes, winter storms, summer storms, power outages, fires, etc. I do keep a fair amount of food stockpiled. Mostly because I dislike grocery shopping. I will pack up the bus and pull out at a Cat 2 hurricane. When I know a winter storm is heading my way, I get all the LP tanks filled. I have lived in places that had ice storms that would knock the power out for up to a week. That is why I have both electric and LP heat. I cook with LP. Lights run off of batteries. And I will be installing the LP generator in June. My fresh tank is always filled (auto fill) and I run 0.5 micron filters.

As far as some of the "prepper" disasters, I figure I am more likely to be impacted by a fire or hurricane than a zombie horde.

Ready.gov has some good info. Like how to build a disaster kit.

Looking at the historic maps of the various eruptions and the debris flow of the various times the Jellystone Caldera has belched forth, it looks like, Florida misses the nastiness the first time around the Earth, but we get the second orbit as the stuff begins to spread in the atmosphere. It'll ruin EVERYONE'S day....... Some think it will cause the next Iceage with the massive cloudcover causing essentially a 'nuclear winter' effect worldwide. It'll make the Mt. St. Helens event look like a nasty pimple on your backside...... Basically, NO escape.
I prep for what I know...... Hurricanes and tropical storms. The basics can be carried over to most non-extinction-level events, natural and man-caused. Food, Water, Shelter, Protection - those are the bare essentials. All else is details. Where and how you live will determine how well you can prep in each category. Being more mobile can provide the ability to escape a localized event, but you can carry only so much 'stuff'. Basically, I have my van, an open 5X10 cargo/utility trailer and my off-road capable motorcycle. If I have to BO, I leave a LOT of my stuff behind. If I know I won't be back, I do the same "Scorched Earth" approach the Russians used when retreating from the Germans in WWII. Leave nothing behind that can be used......
But the S has to really hit the Oscillating Air Moving Device in a BIG way for me to do that! Otherwise I will be back.

wlow, huge post lost. in short, natural disaster leading to power loss/no fuel pumps.

VanLifeCrisis said:
wlow, huge post lost.  in short, natural disaster leading to power loss/no fuel pumps.
Sorry about that, but I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who can lose a long post in a single keystroke... :rolleyes:

I have four storage rooms rented in places I tend to be near, in small out of the way towns, all have exterior access.  The total cost is less than $100 a month.  I use the storage rooms to store gear I would use in the area and things I might need in uncertain times.  I tow a small vehicle that I use all the time for touring in the areas I camp in, the vehicle has a trailer hitch and each storage area has a small folding trailer and fuel stored in it.  I also keep a full set of tools in each place.  

You can find cheap storage in many small towns and the main thing I look for is outside access and being on the outer edges of the town.  I save myself having to carry stuff long distances and have the convince of having the stuff I want available

Corky.

VanLifeCrisis said:
wlow, huge post lost.  in short, natural disaster leading to power loss/no fuel pumps.

It's been several years ago now, but there had been a "how-to" show about a lone guy (ex military) left in a mostly deserted city. He based himself out of a deserted hospital. One of his survival tips was to show how to get fuel from a gas station's underground tanks (and know diesel vs gas). I remember this because there was some pushback in the media that he had shown people how to steal gas.

Aren't many gas stations now required to have a back-up generator for pumps? Is that just in some states? Of course, eventually that would run out, too.

not here, tho i pleaded with my employer who has exxon to get one after that outtage. too cheap. there was a guy in md a few years back who had a trailer hed pull over the fill covers for gas stations, and pump it up thru floor and into barrels. they estimated he stole over 100k worth like this. most underground tanks just have a non locking cover.
We have above ground tanks, the fill terminal is housed in little metal housing that is pad locked, behind locked fence.

There certainly is a prepper movement here, hard to say if it's large although we only have a population of around 26 million.
Here's a forum I'm a member of:

http://ozprepper.com/forum/

http://ozprepper.com/

The only foodstuffs I stockpile are dried legumes such as lentils and chickpeas which can be soaked and cooked or sprouted for fresh green sprouts. I'm no vegetarian but I do cook with them and do sprout them.
Sprouting is a no brainer it is so easy 'just add water'
I've read up on soaking them and is increases their nutritional value immensely, as well as cooking quicker.

Totally agree on the value of having a pressure cooker.
For example if you have some meat that might be a little 'off'. Rinse it clean it up and put in the pressure cooker and no bacteria or micro organisms can survive. Then use it in a stew or soup.
You can use a pressure cooker to sterilize things much the same as an Autoclav.
And just for general cooking it reduces the amount of heat/fuel needed.

Willy said:
Them zombies are a real problem. I mean, turnabout being fair play 'n all but.. have you ever eaten one of the nasty things? Taste totally foul an' would gag a maggot.. or, uhmmm, so I've heard. ..Willy.

I heard they taste like chicken! :D

cant roll away from that black hole they are trying to make at cern this month coming :/

I am a fan of sprouting, too. Your greens do not go bad when you have a new batch to harvest every day.

I did not think think of a pressure cooker as an autoclave, but I guess you are right Numpty. Not quite sure I'd eat that old meat even tho the science would seem sound. LOL

Corky -- if you are reading the updates on this post, I wanted to say you have quite a preparedness system! If one can afford what you are doing, you make things convenient for yourself for daily/weekly/monthly needs but also have a way to hold more items for a larger emergency situation.