What could be wrong?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim solo

Reaction score
View attachment 23357View attachment 23356
View attachment 23356
This thread is to get some opinions. Is it too much, or too little wasted spaces, in the pictures attached below. Is there any fine tuning that would work here ? Something I might have missed that I am not aware of ? Any opinions that may help me do this space better ?

I have tons of storage areas, and will be adding my laptop on the left of the monitor. The home in the window belongs to a special friend of mine, Nancy. She is letting me park on her land to work on and live in my RV.

Attachments

• 20190524_133237_HDR.jpg
    20190524_133237_HDR.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190524_133308_HDR.jpg
    20190524_133308_HDR.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190524_134030_HDR.jpg
    20190524_134030_HDR.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190524_134101_HDR.jpg
    20190524_134101_HDR.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 28
It's hard to say without seeing the rest of the interior.

What MrNoodly said. We could use some more information but it looks like you're using the desk space efficiently. Everything that is not attached firmly to the floor or walls should either be stowed in a safe spot or fastened down securely while on the road.

My signature has a link with a bunch of pictures, here it is
Has a lot of what I got done so far and finished work. This
would give you a better idea of the size.

Pix of My RV
Work in progress

Jim,
Amazing scope of work to gut the interior. Great pictures.
I have a 1989 Ford E350 Tioga. The gen is the same unit and in the same place. Can't run the gen with the RV door open. Thinking of an extension exhaust hose to use when camped.
I need to enclose my water heater. It is under a jack knife couch with only cloth curtains to enclose that space. Now I see how to do that.

Wayne49 said
Amazing scope of work to gut the interior. Great pictures.
Thank you.

I didn't need the dinning table, or the coach. I have to lay slightly elevated or my heart won't let me rest. The loft was the worst of it, the boards were made of sawdust,and soggy, had to scoop them out in pieces. When I redo the bathroom floor, that will be the last of the heavy work.

But, as far as storage, I got plenty. I just don't own a lot to fill it all, YET. The Gen works, but needs a Bendix gear on the starter.Have a new secondary gas tank to install and bleed the brake lines.

Funny thing to ask " what could be wrong"? If it works for you then it works and all is then right in your space.

I am glad that you are pleased with all the work you have done. You have put a lot of time and effort into improving and customizing the space to suit your needs.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong! I love it! I'm trying to piece together a little electronic command center in my van. Man is it tight!

How long is your RV?

Headache : It measures 24 ft bumper to bumper.

Maki2 asked : Funny thing to ask " what could be wrong"?
Well, I usually have a good eye for detail, but this is different from commercial or home construction, which
I know about mostly. I didn't want to miss correcting something before I hit the road. The last building I worked
on cost 10 million dollars, it had to be done right. I carry those values with me in the past and now. If a nail was
bent it had to be replaced.

I have found that these RV have very few right angles or square anything. And me being a nit picky neat freak
I do not want to get it wrong. If I had the money and a good wood working shop, This rig would look like a NYC
penthouse apartment. Might even put in one of those Japanese toilets that hose you down, would save on shower
water. (Humor). Just wanted advice from people that know more than I do.

Anyway, I am having fun with this project, whether I ever get to start my road trip.

jim solo said:
Headache : It measures 24 ft bumper to bumper.

Just wanted advice from people that know more than I do.

Anyway, I am having fun with this project, whether I ever get to start my road trip.

Thank you Jim.  I'm gathering information about various rigs so I can someday move out of this van.  I very much like the floor plan and your design.  Would your please give me more details on it such as year, model, engine, etc.?  I'm very intrigued because I'd like to find something 25ft or less.

As far as people that know more than you do...it looks like you could give many a run for their money!  Keep having fun because I'll be doing the same watching your build from this end!

Thank you Jim.  I'm gathering information about various rigs so I can someday move out of this van.  I very much like the floor plan and your design.  Would your please give me more details on it such as year, model, engine, etc.?  I'm very intrigued because I'd like to find something 25ft or less.

1986 Ford E-350 ( econo-line cab )
1987 Vehicle Body "Mobile Traveler" fiberglass
wheel base at 160 inches,
Empty wgt. 9300 lbs - Gross wgt 14,000
Dual Gas Tanks 15 gal. each
Cruise Control w/ 460 c.i. engine, 4 barl. carb
under 34K original miles.
3 speed Auto transmission, D,2,1
16 inch wheels , dual on rear end, 90 psi ,
Brand new tires on it when I bought the rig.
I reposition them every 4 months to avoid flat spots.

Took me 9 months to find it. Looked at a lot worse
with higher price tags. Drove it 130 miles to my home,
ran like a Rolex. No shake or shudder at any speed up
to 90 mph, smooth as glass down the road.

jim solo said:
3 speed Auto transmission, D,2,1

Took me 9 months to find it. Looked at a lot worse
with higher price tags.

I'm assuming that's the infamous and virtually bulletproof C6.  I have a 92 E350 with its red headed stepchild descendant the E4OD.

Would you mind divulging the price ranges you saw in the areas you were shopping in?  I'm very interested in that model.  Love the fiberglass shell!

Under 3 grand was my target, but I got my rig for less. It is the only fiberglass body style I seen while looking. The rest where metal with most of the seems blown out, and much water damage. The best I can tell you is to beware of scams no matter where you look. Looked at an 18 ft for $800, it was trashed out smelled like someone died in it. Then one for $4000, smelled better, but was trashed out more than the other.

I looked in a 150 mile radius between Roanoke,Va, and Knoxville,TN. Including N.Carolina. I used Crag's list most of which were over priced , trashed out, or both. But, I did find this one up near Roanoke, Va. I wasted $900 in gas money running around for 6 months looking at different ones. Almost bought a 32ft 5th wheel that had been gutted and 50% renovated for $1200, he had to get the title back in the mail from N.Carolina through the mail. He got it back 2 days after I got my rig.

I'm going to hang on to this rig for two reasons : it's a good investment for me, and I ain't going through that shit again to look for another one.

"I wasted $900", not "wasted", $900 was spent on getting the "right for you" RV as an investment.

My 1989 E350, same engine/tranny, runs real nice. I got lucky and it was in the RV park when it became available. Right place and time, had the cash. Owner had upgraded to a class A.

Interesting differences between a fly by wire 2006 E350 Super Duty and the cable operated 1989 460. Cruise control cannot cause the tranny to kick down on a hill in the olden model. The 2006 will kick down on a small hill. It can't see the hilltop to make the correct decision.
I suspect the older Ford is setting the throttle and maintains that setting rather than maintaining a set speed.
Recently, I was climbing up to Lida Summit, elev. 7,400 ft. Cruise was set for doing 55mph on the flat, the rig slowed to 45mph and kept it there right up to the summit. No straining, no drama.

Doing 55mph gets me 8 MPG over varied terrain on two lane blacktop. I try to follow Cyndi's 2-2-2 rule, two hours driving, parked by 2pm, stay for 2 weeks. So 55 doesn't impact the time spent behind the wheel by much.

I adjust Google's time estimates for a 55 top speed. It's auto-magically done on a spreadsheet. Not that I try to adhere to a schedule. Planning purposes.

One comment regarding "What could be wrong?"
That roof vent positioned right where I would be placing my foot as I step off the ladder onto the roof ain't right.
Not your doing.

The things most likely to be wrong are the things that can't be seen. Mostly how well secured the components are. But as you worked in construction I am certain you got that part taking care of far better than the average person who does not know a lot about building things.

One comment regarding "What could be wrong?"
That roof vent positioned right where I would be placing my foot as I step off the ladder onto the roof ain't right.
Not your doing.
Getting on isn't so bad, getting off is a trip hazard. That is the bathroom vent I will be using it the most in the mornings.

"I wasted $900", not "wasted", $900 was spent on getting the "right for you" RV as an investment.
That is true, just the experience was not good as far as the time that was wasted. Don't know yet if it is right for me, I'll just make it right and do the best I can. I will probably never use the cruise control. cyndi's rule is what I had in mind to make it across this country.

I am certain you got that part taking care of far better than the average person who does not know a lot about building things.
I should, will have to adjust for the quality this RV lacks and make it a little better.
I won't have to deal with building Codes or public inspectors on the home part of it.
I'm hoping to get it done enough to get out of here by mid October this year. Head
south and then west in the warmer climate. If anyone spots anything that could be
wrong with my build, let me know. I can take it, just want to be safe now and not sorry later. Thanks...