What computing devices do you use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmotorscooter

Reaction score
I owned my own computer repair shop for 10 years.  At that time desktops and laptops were what everybody used.  Tablets and smart phones were just coming out, but not popular yet.

Do many people even use a desktop computer anymore?  I haven't for years...

I have a Amazon Fire 7 tablet with a custom ROM, a version of android Lollipop totally googleless.

Also an Inspiron 11 laptop with Linux Mint 19 as the only OS.

$49 for the tablet and $79 for the laptop both new

No Microsoft/windows needed,  been using Linux for personal computing for more than a decade.

What are you guys using?

I also have a Fire 7 that I use for quick stuff like email,craigslist,etc. that won't strain my eyes too much. It's handy when going into libraries because of the small size and it can be woke up quickly to get online. Much faster than hassling with my old laptop.

For heavier use like eBay, Amazon or working with photos, I have a Toshiba L455 Satellite w/16" screen and running W7. It has been upgraded a little with a solid-state hard drive.

Yup, me too. Use the tablet most of the time and the laptop only for heavier applications.

I do almost everything on my iPhone. I tend to watch TV/movies on my iPad (mostly Netflix downloads at McD or a library). I have a MacBook Air, but I only use it when I can easily accomplish what I need to do on the other two devices.

I use a mini-desktop that runs on 12V, full-sized wireless keyboard and mouse. The monitor is my large screen dumb TV.

Wow, lots of different devices. But like I suspected, so far no desktop computers. Of course not many people will have a desktop in their van. Lol!

I wasn't aware you could get a laptop to run on android? Did you possibly mean tablet?

Just curious...

A five year old MacBook Air and an iPhone 8 (which i got last month because my five year old iPhone 5c had too little memory to update the OS). I've stayed with Apple products from the beginning because back then they were the ones with graphics programs I needed for my job. I've used other types but didn't want to invest the time to learn the Microsoft way of doing things or spending the money to replace all my software.

I have a refurbished Acer Chromebook w/ 15.5" screen in the van. It uses between 6-8 watts when steaming video. Unplugged it will stream for about 8 hours off the internal battery. I bought it specifically for its low power draw. I picked up a 12 volt power supply for it. I'm not always streaming but that's what seems to draw the most power.

There are a few drawbacks compared to a Windows computer. Not being able to read or write dvd's is one of them. It does have access to the Play Store but I haven't experimented with different apps yet

(I measured the draw with a Kill a Watt type meter on AC. It may draw less on DC)

Are you trying to make a decision about what you should have in the way of computers for your nomadic life? Deciding what you need for computer power is based on what you need to do with them. It is not based on what other people need.

Ok, just in the van I have an HP D-800 i5 Micro desktop computer and a Minis-Forum Z83 micro desktop computer both running Win10 Pro. They are both about 7" square and about 1 1/2" thick. They both are run from 12V although the HP one takes a car charger with an output of 19.5 volts and the other with a 12V regulated output to it. I have two TV's in the van, a 24" Smart TV up front that runs off another car charger putting out 19.5 volts and a 12V dumb TV in the back. I have a HP-360 laptop running Win10 Pro with a car charger. I also have a 10" Chuwi tablet with removable keyboard running Win10 Pro and is charged via USB. They all have their best use defined. The Chuwi if I want to take a laptop to an establishment. The HP-360 for use outside the van. The HP i5 hooked to my 24" TV and the minis-Forum hooked to my 19" TV. The Minis-Forum is my file server (20 TB external) and other uses. My android phone's screen is too small to do much on other than read some stuff, weather, etc. Forgot, my android phone has a clip on screen projector.

I’m a former software developer for IBM, but got rid of all of my desktops and now mostly use my iPad. My laptop just broke, think I spilled water on it.

badmotorscooter said:
Do many people even use a desktop computer anymore?  I haven't for years...
 . . .
What are you guys using?

MacBook Pro laptop for most of my computing.

HP Pavilion tower running Windows XP for legacy software from my consulting that I use sporadically but would never upgrade ($$$).

Android Motorola phone several years old.
ZTE Visible back up phone
Work laptop by HP running Windows
Kindle Fire
Nook
And an antique Dell laptop with a busted frame, keyboard no longer works so I have a wireless keyboard and mouse that I swap around from machine to machine with a dongle. Survived being dropped, numerous coffee spills and yet the innards keep working, lol.

I use a desktop computer I prefer it over laptop have laptop also but hardly ever use it I just built a van and I putting my desktop in there and using 24 inch tv for the monitor also have a ipad only really use that for ebay pictures  but have alwsys had Samsung galaxy phones

maki2 said:
Are you trying to make a decision about what you should have in the way of computers for your nomadic life? Deciding what you need for computer power is based on what you need to do with them. It is not based on what other people need.

No, just curious. My tablet and laptop are both very low power draw, perfect for nomadic computing.