trying to decide about devices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
billybob200138 said:
...and a Prime membership,approximately 80$ a yr with veteran discount.Go to McDonald's or Lowe's (really good internet) and I can download approximately 15 movies on each to view later anywhere.

Do you mean Amazon Prime?  I just started a free 30 day trial and need to learn how to download movies to a flash drive. I have a small TV that accepts a drive but don't know yet if it will then play the movie.

Had Prime a few years ago when it was cheaper and I just watched movies on my laptop at the library or other decent wifi.

Currently I can do everything I need to do on my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 Not cheap but also not the most expensive thing. I try to stay a gen or 2 back from the current model. It seems to work for my budget.

The only thing I cant currently do is play a particular video game I like to play that uses Flash Player as Android wont support it. But that is a specific to me issue. That's a limited time issue at any rate as Flash Player is on its way out by this summer any how.

We like what we like though. Nothing beats a keyboard for putting your thoughts to paper..er media, lol.

I've been preparing myself for the road. Making it a point to try and do everything from my phone. I currently have access to a Desktop but I really only use it to play the video game I mentioned. I have a Laptop but havent even opened it in almost 3 years the thing is probably out of date.

I think if you can get by with a smartphone it solves many issues that some have. You don't need big solar and batteries to run a tv. But that's me I'm happy watching what I like on my phone. I've gotten used to it and actually prefer doing that with a set of earbuds vs. sitting in a room with a huge screen and booming audio.

The other bonus would be a smart phone is less of a foot print when stealth camping. of course any light then is a dead giveaway but a smaller light is easier to cover than say a 4 foot one. I may bring my laptop with me when I set out and see if it comes in handy here and there. but i'm betting it will end up finding itself a new home in short order.