What can you cook in the road pro 12v portable stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I heard it being mentions a few time in this forum so I got myself one. What have you cooked in this thing? Can it cook raw chicken?

You probably could cook raw chicken in one, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can get the pre-cooked rotisserie chickens for almost as cheap as the raw / frozen pieces, and it's much safer once cooked as long as as it's kept cold. Go shopping early in the morning and you'll likely find the previous afternoon's chickens in the meat or deli coolers at half price, already chilled.

We buy the foil pans at Walmart -- they are a standard size. When we're at home, I like to fix up batches of spaghetti and meat sauce, Enchiladas, rice & beans, curry, hearty pea soup, etc., then freeze them in the pans. These travel with us in the RV freezer (we cheat a little, we have a Class C RV), then take one out the morning before a travel day and put it in the fridge to thaw.

The thawed dinner goes in the Roadpro while we drive to our next destination. By lunchtime our main meal of the day is hot and ready.

It's best to run these from the dash outlet while the vehicle is running, as anything that converts electricity to heat will use a lot of it. Find a safe way to brace it while driving so it doesn't tip over -- spilled food can be a bit of a pain to clean up as it bakes onto the hot surface quickly.

I have one and use it often. I have a friend who has made meatloaf in it so chicken may be possible. To be honest I just make convenience food because they take less time to cook. Here are some things I've cooked in mine:

Hot dogs
chili
any canned meal can be cooked in it
chili digs
frozen buritos
frozen pizza
fish sticks
any frozen meal can be thawed and cooked in it

Jiffy Mix cornbread
brownie mix
tube cookies
tube biscuits

Bob

I would be very wary of cooking raw chicken in a road pro. They only heat to 300 degrees which means you have to cook meat for a long time. Too long for poultry in my opinion. My thinking is that anything that is safe to cook in a crockpot should be fine in a road pro. Just remember to check the temperature

To cook raw foods takes a long time in these devices. They are best used to heat pre-cooked foods, although eggs would work. Remember, All canned foods are pre-cooked. Various hot dog type sausages are pre cooked. There is even pre-cooked bacon.

Matt71 said:
I would be very wary of cooking raw chicken in a road pro. They only heat to 300 degrees which means you have to cook meat for a long time. Too long for poultry in my opinion. My thinking is that anything that is safe to cook in a crockpot should be fine in a road pro. Just remember to check the temperature

I cooked a whole chicken last week after seeing this guy's post: http://12vcooking.com/2016/04/22/whole-chicken-cooked-in-the-roadpro-12-volt-portable-stove/ . It worked out great! Been baking hard "boiled" eggs, too, like this dude: http://www.vanholio.com/2016/04/roadpro-stove-secrets-hard-boiled-eggs.html . I've cooked all kinds of meat and eggs, plus baked beer bread, pigs in a blanket, rice dishes, veggies, and more. Love this gadget!

I just got a RoadPro crockpot, too, but I've yet to Christen it.