What blog posts did you find useful?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuneElliot

Reaction score
As someone who keeps a blog, and a long-time poster here, I am always interested to know what people read or saw that they found useful and insightful on blogs and YouTube.

I am a female and solo RVer.

What would it be useful to cover in a post? What hasn't been covered that you or someone just starting out, or even an experienced RV/van dweller would find useful? Any ideas for female-specific topics, or just any subjects in general that would apply to everyone.

Just looking for ideas, not subscribers...not here to push my blog or add numbers.

Hi DuneElliot, I am new here and still learning my way around. I will be vandwelling in a minivan with my two dogs, and would love to see that covered. They are not small! One medium and one large. Another issue is traveling with medical equipment (chest compression and nebulizer). I have health issues so I'd like to see more articles and videos about traveling with health issues/various disabilities (I have a few). I am lucky to be a very vibrant person when healthy, so at this point these things aren't preventive. That's one of the reasons I'm embarking now instead of later! Hope this is a start for your question...

Thank you for the insight. I would definitely be ibterested in covering this a future post. I have two dogs but am in an RV. I will come up with some questions but would love to do a written interview with you on these subjects too...if you are interested

I like your blog, great pix and love the puppies... However, so many options on social media, I for one only follow and interact on (2), youtube and facebook.

I read your blog and enjoy the account of your trips and the pictures. I've backpacked in the Sierras a few times but I think those days are behind me now.

I follow interstellar orchard. Becky has a great writing style and lots of good info, esp. her early stuff. I like vanholio's blog too, but it can be kind of blue, I don't really agree with his politics, and isn't always relevant to my situation.

I think it would be interesting reading about your experiences boondocking and work camping (if that's your plan) especially as you just get started and everything is new to you. Don't be afraid to write about mistakes you make along the way. Learning from other's mistakes is better than learning from your own. Keep posting about your hikes, too. Good luck!

Hey Dune,  I have been a forum member for a moth or so, been following this site and others for almost a year.

I just ordered my own custom cargo trailer, will be picking it up in a little over a week, and will be starting my own YouTube channel to document the build and my adventures.

I have used Bob's CRVL blog and videos  as well as others to prepare myself for the adventures to come.  My own blog site and vlog will be a re-purposing of my old blog site from a coaching/speaking business that I had a few years ago, that will continue my theme, and transition into my new life interests.  I also want to make sure I give thanks, and credit, to all those from who I got my ideas.

In doing my preparatory research, I have looked at everything:  choosing a vehicle, solar, insulation and heating choices, boondocking and stealth camping, cooking options, and traveling with animals. And, of course, don't forget Bob's favorite, pooping in a vehicle!  Currently, I am researching options for creating and monetizing my soon to be YouTube channel.

Bottom line, your audience, chances are, will find anything you post useful, if it allows them to a) live vicariously through you, b) get prepared for their own journey, and/or c) be entertained.

Keep those posts and videos coming!

I went over and checked out your blog. The photos are beautiful, the places you've chosen to go to are beautiful. Your writing style is easy to read, no drama is important to me. I don't see any grammatical errors or misspelling. I appreciate that! I have been an avid reader all my life, but these days my reading is mostly internet news, 3 forums and email. generally while I eat a meal I like to watch a few youtube videos. I guess blogs have never much been a part of my habitual reading. As I said, yours is very nice though.
Does your blog have email notification of new posts? That might encourage/remind me to go have a look.

Thank you for your kind words. As an author of fantasy fiction books it is definitely in my best interests to have good spelling and grammar...and that carries over to my blog. It helps that I grew up with an English professor as my father! I don't do drama...I want to share my experiences and adventures without all that. There is a way to sign up for notifications of new posts on the blog...I think it is on the right side of the page. 

I'm so glad everyone has enjoyed reading my blog, despite not trying to use this thread to boost interest. It is currently quite a bit behind as I broke my hand at the one job I had only been at for three weeks which obviously made writing pretty difficult.

Travelmonkey said:
I read your blog and enjoy the account of your trips and the pictures.  I've backpacked in the Sierras a few times but I think those days are behind me now.  

I follow interstellar orchard.  Becky has a great writing style and lots of good info, esp. her early stuff.  I like vanholio's blog too, but it can be kind of blue, I don't really agree with his politics, and isn't always relevant to my situation.

I think it would be interesting reading about your experiences boondocking and work camping (if that's your plan) especially as you just get started and everything is new to you.  Don't be afraid to write about mistakes you make along the way.  Learning from other's mistakes is better than learning from your own.  Keep posting about your hikes, too.   Good luck!

Thank you for your words. Sorry to hear your days of backpacking the Sierras are numbered...I got excited today by my first view of them and some day want to thru-hike the PCT.

I will keep all your suggestions in mind...and yes, I write about my mistakes as they are often the most useful.

I’m guessing you’re in the Inyo county area, if so, you are in one of the most beautiful transportation corridors on earth. The drive up 395 from the Owens dry lake bed to Carson City is simply amazing. There are BLM and US Forest primitive camping all along the way... enjoy and happy blogging!

395 from Reno north all the way through Oregon is also a beautiful drive. highdesertranger

Learning to edit is a big part of becoming a writer/media creator. In general, it would be nice for people to be more succinct about exactly what they are trying to say. If you are writing a travel piece, include the relevant access details like any good guidebook. My favorite hiking authors are Spring and Manning who produced the Mountaineer's guidebooks for the Cascades. Solid info, a fair amount of waxing lyrical and just a touch of environmental politics, all of which together give a great picture of the journey.

We have a lot of great voices, and consolidating those into a formal, or semi-formal, effort with 'peer review' would be a great thing.

The best think you can do is to keep writing, and taking specific feedback. If you want to succeed you've got to promote it. Posting to Facebook or on other web pages/forums, will get you a bit of readership and Search Engine cred.

I kept a blog for a number of years, linked in my sig. Hopefully I will find the inspiration to take it to the next level at some point.

DuneElliot said:
What would it be useful to cover in a post? 

I mostly look for how-to posts. Specifically, a problem they had, and how they fixed it. Van life has tons of weird, nagging little problems, and every one seems to have at least one solution.