What are you reading?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wanderingsoul said:
He was!  What was it he said?  "Pfft"?
He had different "Pffts" for different occasions, LOL. John knew which meant what.

I was living with a standard poodle for several years before I went full time last summer. Very fun dog. But of course lage and needs lots of grooming time. They don't shed but you will want to get clippers and other grooming gear and watch videos on how the basic hair cut styles get accomplished. Having groomers do it will make a dent in your budget. washing a big dog is not easy when you have limited amounts of water. Do not get a white dog, get a dirt colored one ?

GypsyJan said:
slow2day:

How big will Henry get?

He's tall and lanky now and probably won't get much bigger. IDK.....maybe about 40lbs. max later.

He's kind of stubborn sometimes but my friends aren't the greatest at training him.

He likes to run the fence and bark at other dogs or vehicles passing by. Several noisy ATVs regularly buzz along the road.

I'm not sure if they were serious about getting rid of him though.

wanderingsoul said:
^^ Oh man, that sounds like it could be an interesting blend as far as personality goes.
I know a lot of people have their doggos on the road but I don't think I could do it.

Yeah, he needs a little work but he's a pretty good boy. Many years ago I travelled with a dog but I don't think I'd be up for it now.

Looks like this turned into the literary dog thread. I don't know any such dogs but am planning to read the James Herriot books at sometime in the not-too-distant future so I'm sure I'll meet some that way.

Oh, I take it back. I'm reading the Mitford series this year with a group of women on Booktube - these are Christian novels about life in a small town in North Carolina, and the main character is Father Tim, an Episcopalian priest. He has a big dog named Barnabus. Could be part poodle but definitely a mixed breed... large, shaggy, black. I'm starting the seventh book in the series, In This Mountain.

In the nonfiction about the gold rush, The World Rushed In, the man whose diary and letters we've been reading has finally decided to head home from California to New York. He'll be going through Panama. I'm about to start the last chapter of the book.

Father Tim and Cynthia have a cat, Violet, too. Cynthia's books are about her escapades. I love listening to this series by Jan Karon on audio books: simpler life in a small town.

I just found another literary dog...

"A Dog's Tale" by Mark Twain (free copy)

First line:
"My father was a St. Bernard, my mother was a collie, but I am a Presbyterian."

I haven't read it yet so don't blame me for the content. Twain was so... unpredictable.

@GypsyJan - I listened to the first few Mitford books via audio - but then switched to Kindle because one of the books was only available in an abridged version... and I don't do abridged if I can help it.

Got two William Least Heat Moon books in the mail from the library yesterday. Roads to Quoz: An American Mosey and Here, There, Elsewhere: Stories from the Road. Excite!

Definitely exciting... I'd like to read those two books.

Right now I have a ridiculous number of books in progress. More than I can read in a day. I read normally either five pages or one chapter unless a book hooks me and I have to read more.

The World Rushed In
The Valley of Little Rivers
Mansfield Park
In This Mountain
Roughing It
The Barbary Coast
Stammering Century
Incident at Hawk's Hill
Hinds Feet in High Places

and a few others.

I am waiting for my reading glasses to come in the mail. I can barely see even the large print stuff and it is making me crazy .... Ok maybe just crazier I'm already crazy. But I have the print on my Computor huge but still drives my eyes buggy. Hopefully tomorrow. Poor hubby is ready for me to have my sewing/reading/working eves back. I'm going through withdrawal and getting grumpy.

I feel for you VanBrat - that would drive me crazy too. Good reminder I need new glasses. All my backup glasses burned in the fire... and the pair I usually wear are from about 10 years ago! I need to take care of business and get new glasses.

The subject of this thread reminds me of a situation I found myself in around 20 years ago.

I was in a jury pool for a murder trial and one of the lawyers was asking all prospective jurors if they had brought something to read and what it was (we had already been asked what magazines we subscribed to). There were answers of everything from crosswords and westerns, romance and mystery to drama. I was reading "Hiroshima Diary".

I'm with travelaround and always have multiple books that I'm reading. Current list...
Great Exploration Hoaxes
How The Other Half Lives
Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman (second reading)
All For The Union
Manual for Android devices

Travelaround, I read "Roughing It" a few years ago, what a tomb, nearly 900 pages! I was surprised with Twain's experiences in Hawaii. Quite the travel adventure in the age of horse, steam and sail.

Guy

I'm at least 3 years overdue for glasses, have an appt on the 28th and have already bought the frames.

I started the Least Heat Moon "Quoz" book, it's pretty good. Not sure I understand it yet. lol

Yea!! Got my specks and now on to 'Wildwood Creek' It was suggested to me so saved at the library soooo glad they are open again.

Ok, I'm up to page 90 in RoadsTo Quoz by William Least Heat Moon and I'm finally settling into it. It's fascinating and eerie and surreal.

I’m currently reading Django, which is Django Reinhardt’s biography.  I read Les Paul’s, my hero, and though I’d read about my hero’s hero.  He mentioned Django in his autobiography, most notably a sad ending to his career.  America’s pop culture received him badly one concert, changing his Gypsy jazz to more of a Be-Bop, resulting in his disappearance almost literally.  The biography so far talks of his rich Gypsy heritage. 
When I’m done I’d like to read Matthew McConauhey’s new book.  

Rabbit

trying to read "Each Moment is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time" by Dainin Katagiri but it's not an easy read...

Just got home to two books from the library that I had completely forgotten I ordered. One is called American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America, those being Far West, Deep South, The Midlands, Greater Appalachia, Yankeedom, etc. And The Nine Nations of North America. This one is a first edition hardback from 1981 and they had to borrow it interlibrary from Hillsboro, OR and it came wrapped in heavy cardboard with a note that this is how they want it returned.

I can hardly wait to get into these two books but I'm only about 1/3 through Quoz by Least Heat Moon. I would have taken that to read at night on my trip but it's a big heavy hardback.