What are you reading?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nature lover, you seem to me like you might be the type to like Pat McManus books

I love Pat McManus. The bear in the attic is a classic. Thanks for the reminder I have that to play on my digital player from the blind library and several other of his books but I have to dig them out there on a aux hard drive storage somewhere.

I would occasionally read his books to my kids for bedtime stories. Lol

Today on my trip to Klamath Falls and back I've been listening to The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon, by David Grann. Whatever problems we may have here ... most things we go through probably don't compare to the problems those men had exploring the Amazon. Many if not most didn't come back alive. But some, after having terrible illnesses there, went back again and again because to them, it was a beautiful place to be despite the dangers.

Here, There, Elsewhere by William Least Heat Moon.

Another treasure.

I finally caught up on my over-abundance of library books. I am reading a whopper now.

Bottle of Lies: The Inside Story of the Generic Drug Boom by Katherine Eban

What got me going was I changed pharmacies recently. I get a certain prescription every month. When I changed, the pharmacy used another generic than the one I was used to and not only did it seem to not do anything, it gave me weird side effects. So I did something I love to do, went down an internet rabbit hole. Found out some very unsavory things about this particular pharmaceutical company (Aurolife, parent company is Aurobindo in India). While I was rabbit holing, I saw this book mentioned and ordered it. And I had my prescriptions moved back to the original pharmacy.

And now I'm concerned about taking any generics. Bad generics coming out of India (mostly), bad rough ingredients coming out of China (and not regulated at all), the FDA overloaded. Wow, this book is an eye-opener for sure.

I was in Walmart yesterday and needed some Mucinex. Normally I'd get the generic at whatever store I'm in but I looked at the label, saw Made in China and grabbed the brand name instead which is made in England. I am paranoid now. lol

I try not to read things that make me paranoid. But you're right, the generic drugs are probably not as good as the name brands. I'll keep that in mind while I do my shopping in the future. Thanks.

I'm reading ten books. I've kept it to just ten books this month and I don't add something new until I can take something off the list. I read two or three chapters of a book at a time and then want to go on to something different.

As for right now, I'm going to finish this comment and go read another section of The Barbary Coast by Herbert Asbury . . . . about the SF underworld from 1849 until the 1906 earthquake. It is novel research.

My current audiobook is Julie, by Catherine Marshall. I only have one audiobook going at a time.

Yeah, normally I don't read too many paranoia inducing things either but this caught my attention. And now I'm on page 7 of 68 on the FDA recalls website getting even more paranoid.

I have 5 new books new books from the library, hope they get here soon. I'm on an 'Appalachia' kick now. Something will get my attention and I will order a bunch of books about it, whatever it is. Last kick was politics and that just made me mad. lol

I just read an Appalachia novel earlier this month - Christie by Catherine Marshall. I liked it so much, now I'm reading Julie, another of her novels... but it is set in Pennsylvania.

What Appalachia books are you finding to read? I've read Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis.

I've read Hillbilly Elegy but ordered it again, it's been a while. Also

Running on Red Dog Road : and other perils of an Appalachian childhood / Drema Hall Berkheimer.

Appalachian reckoning : a region responds to Hillbilly Elegy / edited by Anthony Harkins and Meredith McCarroll.

Ramp Hollow: The Ordeal of Appalachia by Steven Stoll

And there's a couple more that are in Purchase Suggestions which will be coming from the interlibrary system as ours didn't have them. I don't remember the names.

Ordered a couple cookbooks too and also this

Alienated America : why some places thrive while others collapse / Timothy P. Carney.

edit: I just saw this one on Amazon too, looks interesting

Night Comes To The Cumberlands: A Biography Of A Depressed Area by Harry M. Caudill

I bookmarked it and sent it to my 'books to be ordered' folder. Which is getting kinda big.

I have two books going...."Killing Patton" by Bill O'Reily and "Video Smart" by Pelpina Trip. That one is about how to make great videos using a smart phone.

Reading the mystery series for grownups by Robert Galbraith, aka J. K. Rowling. Of course she is a very accomplished writer of mysteries as has been proven for many years. Easy to find as ebooks and audio books from public libraries.

Here is a  book that will help anyone understand younger people today. (those below 25)  Your kids, others kids, young employees, or younger people on the street.   Depression reulting from the digital age of internet, 24/7 everything, Facebook, and growing up with no understanding of what they were immersed in  (almost a Tsunami)  and with no coping skills has been the perfect storm for them.  Their brains aren't fully formed[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] until sometime in the 20's and maybe more closely to 30 when the temporal lobes form.[/font]

[img=187x300]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51lGhAcU4zL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

Each generation since the Boomers has had it's distinct quirks & quarks and iGen (the internet generation) has new not seen before characteristics.

The author:  Jean M. Twenge, PhD, a professor of psychology at San Diego State University, is the author of more than a hundred scientific publications and two books based on her research, Generation Me and The Narcissism Epidemic, as well as The Impatient Woman’s Guide to Getting Pregnant. Her research has been covered in TimeThe Atlantic, NewsweekThe New York TimesUSA TODAY, and The Washington Post. She has also been featured on the Today show, Good Morning AmericaFox and Friends, CBS This Morning, and National Public Radio. She lives in San Diego with her husband and three daughters.

These iGen people will likely be the coming Digital-Tech Nomads.  It will be interesting to see the Rigs they come up with and skills they showcase
to succeed in this way of life.  

I was just looking at an article titled:  "Is Rural becoming the new Confederacy" ?   Perhaps with iGen a Digital Confederacy.

i Gen by Jean M. Twenge PhD

Current audiobook: Julie, by Catherine Marshall.
Paperback: several, including California Gold by John Jakes, The Barbary Coast by Herbert Asbury, and Whittington by Alan Armstrong.

I could have sworn I made a post here last night.

Running on Red Dog Road was a sweet memoir, like a series of short stories.

I decided to read Appalachian Reckoning: A Region Responds to Hillbilly Elegy first rather than re-read Hillbilly Elegy
first. Glad I just got new stronger glasses because this publisher used a quite small font and the pages
are very densely packed with print.

We just got back from a 2 week trip and I am now on book 6 of the Harry Potter books. I waited until I knew I could read all 7 in a row and have finely gotten to a place in my life where I can do that. I am enjoying it somewhat. But it is not the type of reading i would normally pick out.

Latest posts