What are YOU listening to??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaTaLa said:
If you haven't seen it, make sure to catch "Ain't in It for My Health: A Film about Levon Helm", great documentary.

Another great music documentary is "Muscle Shoals" ~ "Located alongside the Tennessee River, Muscle Shoals, Alabama has helped create some of the most important and resonant songs of all time. Overcoming crushing poverty and staggering tragedies, Rick Hall brought black and white together to create music for the generations. He is responsible for creating the "Muscle Shoals sound" and The Swampers, the house band at FAME Studios ...". Duane "Skydog" Allman, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Percy Sledge, Wilson Pickett, and others have played a part in Fame Studios.

I'll be sure to check it out, thank you :) 

You may find these interesting about their early experiences, one story is in both, two perspectives...

Robbie Robertson  

Levon Helm plays guitar, The Band Talk   

Carly Simon

No Secrets Album songs

Anticpation Album songs

Hotcakes Album songs

Joanne Shenandoah

To Those Who Dream

Feather In The Wind

Rise Up

When The Eagle Cries

@WILD@HEART
I started to mention Robbie Robertson and the Red Ensemble's "Music for The Native Americans" the other night. Your offerings here reminded me again.

Here's a live version of "Ghost Dance" from that album.

Actually, there are several cuts on YT from that same evening....AND I'm still in love with Rita Coolidge!!

John Hammond "Wicked Grin", an album of Tom Waits covers, outstanding stuff, bluesy.

MaTaLa said:

Wow! I had never heard of this guy but this is a very moving song. 

And speaking of Indigenous music, have you heard the music of Longhouse?

Their music really stirs my spirit.

Sorry, I'm jumping in at the end so maybe this has been covered. Just thought I'd pop in and see what this thread is all about!

@dawnann7  So the band's name is Longhouse the Guardian? Looks to be so. In the last 20 yrs I've found lots of indigenous and world music that has moved me even though I don't understand the origin and/or language. Imo, music is all about vibrations and, outside of nostalgia, what music resonates with us says something about what is at the forefront of our internal world, which can change many times, methinks. 

Haha, I don't think there's any place to 'jump in' except at the end.  :D

On topic, "River" is a word that keeps popping up in my awareness. I may have posted this one before but I love this:

Kevin Morby - Harlem River

MaTaLa said:
@WILD@HEART
I started to mention Robbie Robertson and the Red Ensemble's "Music for The Native Americans" the other night. Your offerings here reminded me again.

Actually, there are several cuts on YT from that same evening....AND I'm still in love with Rita Coolidge!!

Great album! And I can see why you love her, Rita Coolidge is a beautiful woman inside & out.
The musicians & singers are native american, Robbie Robertson is Mohawk, Rita Coolidge, her sister Priscilla and Priscilla's daughter Laura Satterfield are Cherokee ( WALELA - singing trio & Cherokee word for Hummingbird)
From my experience, unfortunately, the expression "Be proud you're an Indian, but be careful who you tell" is still true today, as well as many other derogatory & dehumanizing expressions and beliefs. 

Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked The World (Official Trailer)

Walela  

Walela's "Cherokee Morning Song" is a favorite of mine, has been for a good while

I used the word 'love' flippantly when I spoke of Rita. I just remember being infatuated with her, as a young man, by her singing talent and how she presented herself. I actually know little about her other than pop culture.

I'll have to check out "Rumble", looked very interesting.

Bleeker was a nice find for me. Lyrics are great.

Tonight some great guitar world music

Mdou Moctar - Tarhatazed

Mdou Moctar is a Tuareg songwriter and musician based in Agadez, Niger, and is one of the first musicians to perform modern electronic adaptations of Tuareg guitar music. He first became famous through a subtle trading network of cellphones and memory cards in West Africa. Wikipedia

My post was erased wtf? :mad: Some I can understand being erased, but this one I posted here was uncivilized to be erased.

4AM 17-4-19  SOLFEGGIO FREQUENCIES Found this a few days ago, peaceful, easy listening. meditation, healing, relaxing, Zen, etc. while making to do and shopping lists. :)

@Weldman You must have been listening to some edgy stuff to have the post removed, haha.

@Ella1 I use frequencies/tones and other non-traditional audio as tools often. 396 hz, 432 hz and 852 hz, all are favorites. I also used 'rain on a roof' for background to sleep to. Helps with tinnitus. I've used tones for sleep, as well, but have to be careful as some invoke some whacked dreams for me, ha! Nature sounds are better for me for sleep.

Weldman I deleted your post.

you must include a description with your links. in other words you just can't post a link, like you did.

I sent you a PM explaining all this. I just went back and checked and it says you got it so I am kinda confused why you came on here complaining.

you may repost it with a description.

highdesertranger

The Jompson Brothers "On The Run"
With Chris Stapleton on vocals, great Southern Rock

@JD GUMBEE
Great recommendation, I'm listening now.