What all do I need to hook up a Little Buddy and stove to a bulk tank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
compassrose posted one type in the last pic on her post. that type is common on the small bbq's. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I am not sure you are right Bob about the Coleman stoves being high pressure.  all the ones I have used and seen have a regulator built into the piece that you screw the little bottle to.  however when you go to a bulk tank this must be fed with high pressure or you are going to be double regulating.  I believe that is what you are referring to.  highdesertranger
HDR, I think we may be dealing with semantics. The stoves may reduce the pressure inside, that I don't know, but as far as a system, they are a high pressure stove. 

The pressure that leaves the propane bottle and arrives at the stone is high pressure.  With a Wave 3 (or any other RV appliance) the pressure after it leaves the bottle regulator is low pressure and when it arrives at the WAve 3 it is low pressure.

One reason I'm pretty sure of that is that the name of the adapter hose Coleman sells to connect their stoves to a bulk bottle is called a:
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Coleman 2000005062 5-Ft. High-Pressure Hose & Adapter[/font]

See it here:
http://amzn.to/1iGP2wQ

Coleman thinks its high pressure.
Bob

ok I guess I am not explaining this right. Coleman stoves are not high pressure. here's a parts list for a typical Coleman stove, http://www.coleman.com/product/coleman-even-temp-stove/2000004960?contextCategory=2010#.Vgr0yqOFPIU . note part number 4, it is the regulator. all Coleman propane stoves I have ever seen or used have this type of regulator. you cannot eliminate part number 4 and run propane strait off the tank. however whatever you screw into part number 4 is high pressure. I wanted everybody to realize this in case someone picked up a stove used and it was missing this part so they would realize they need a regulator in the system. highdesertranger

I have a 4/9k  Btu Mr Buddy, a high pressure hose 6' in length and BBQ grill tank.  In the van my cook top is a basic 2 burner similar to this one.

s-l225.jpg

These work well for my needs when on the road.

But in recent years we have had a lot of power outages so I brought these things inside from the Van to use
them in my bathroom during the winter. (mostly stored in the closet till needed)  I can heat the room quite well with the 4,000 setting by closing the
door and opening the window just a little.

I scrapped some old wood palates to get enough wood to make what looks like a Futon Bed which rest on
top of the bath tub, and it has a back rest so it is much like a couch.  I have my Jerry Tanks from the Van
inside and filled with water as well. 

Water, heat, food & cooking gear, Cell phone, a lantern,  and radio give the bathroom the same utility
the Van provides when on the road. (and about as much room)

A couple days can feel like a week in this mode.  I do have a generator at home if I need electricity but I have found it one of the easiest things to go without.

I write this to say that the travels with my Van have provided me a method of thinking that I can use in my
home for emergency preparedness.   Others may want to consider this carryover for their own safety and well being in the face of natural disasters.

I agree with you HDR, the stove itself has a regulator to reduce it's pressure. But it's hooked up to a high-pressure hose full of high-pressure propane.

The propane system the stove is attached to is high pressure because there is no reduction of the pressure coming out of the propane battle before it reaches the stove.

While you are technically correct, I'm much more interested in communicating with people what they need to know. And people need to know that there is not a regulator on the bottle so the system itself is high-pressure. Now you can add as a clarification that there is a regulator in the stove so technically the stove is low pressure. But to my mind that is information they don't need and will only confuse them. "So is there a regulator or not?"

My goal is to help people and it's been my observation that very often you help them the most by not giving them needless details. I attribute most of the success of this site to that so I try to stick to it.
Bob

I understand Bob, but I see it from the other side were someone buys a used stove at a garage sale or flea market that is missing the regulator and ties to hook up their stove directly to their propane tank with no regulator, because Bob said it didn't need one. believe me I have seen some pretty dangerous things jerry rigged in my day. if I told you some of them you wouldn't even believe it. highdesertranger

Without a regulator wouldn't the propane just pour out? I think most will notice that pretty quickly, at least I hope!!
Bob

have you ever lit an acetylene torch with the acetylene turned up way to high and the flame is burning vigorously 10 inches from the tip. well it's kinda like that, a flame thrower. highdesertranger

Thanks all, was about to consider buying the 4K-9K heater, but that small one will keep the vehicle warm enough for low temps. I also was thinking of how to rig a base for the small one, will see what I can make. I was thinking of using my propane stove for heat, but the little buddy probably is more trustworthy and economical.

Hmmmm

I converted a old Coleman white gas stove to propane and I believe the adapter is just a valve and tube to connect where the gas tank did. A different situation than using a stove that once had a regulator I am sure.