What all do I need to hook up a Little Buddy and stove to a bulk tank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTheoBennett

Reaction score
I'm converting my Toyota Sienna this week and I'm looking at buying a Little Buddy and a 2 burner propane stove.  I'd like to have a tank in the back hooked up to both, but I read that the Little Buddy is meant to sit on top of a 1lb tank.  Does that mean that I can't safely use it with a bulk tank?  Would I be better off with the next size up (4-9k BTU)

If I can, what hardware do I need?  Also, any recommendations on where to buy the hoses and adapters and such?

Walmart carries the hoses and adapters under the Coleman brand or order from Amszon.
Buddy heaters need a filter if a hose is used. 
I'm looking at the Little Buddy since a bigger heater cooks us in the Southwest.

This one looks like it would work with a hose...
www.amazon.com/Portable-Catalytic-000-BTU-Outdoor-Flameless/dp/B00V6J9ZNC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1442163384&sr=8-12&keywords=Propane+catalytic+heater
Maybe include the filter since they say it protects from any rubber contaminaton in the cat mat.

The difference between the little buddy and the Yuma is that the Little buddy has a low oxygen sensor and the Yuma doesn't. That's why the Yuma is listed as outdoor safe and the little buddy as indoor safe.

I don't use my oxygen when sitting around so I would go into "shutdown" before that sensor. 
We currently have a Mr. Heater type and an alarm. A computer fan up above mixes a little fresh air from a window near the heater.

The heater is stowed for summer but it is chilly and foggy this morning...got a burner going on the stove and a front window cracked with a little fan. The little body O2 reader on my finger says 96% which is normal for me at rest. 
I have yet to see the need (personally) for an O2 shut off...YMMV

We know several vandwellers who use heat so seldom a stove burner alone works for them.
Computer fans do an amazing job of moving air/heat gently to keep your toes comfy ;)

Mr. Buddy heaters are confusing because there are there sizes,

big: 9-18 K
small 4-9 K
tiny: I think 3 K, but I'm not sure of the BTUs and it's not adjustable.

The two bigger ones are easy to adopt as you've been told, just buy a hose, filter and put them together.

The tiny one is much harder. It is designed to screw directly to a green bottle and the bottle becomes it's stand. To adapt it, you are going to have to build a stand for it to sit on and I think I would use plumbers tape to mount it to the top of the box. Then you'll need a hole about 3 inches (measure first) to sit the heater down through, and a hole on the side to run the hose through.

The big ones are all too big for a van in moderate climate, the tiny one is perfect!! Here is a link to the tiny one:
http://amzn.to/1KgDEhr

Yes, I have one. I've debated switching it over to a bulk as a project and just haven' done it yet. I'd consider a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid. You could probably even fit a 1 gallon propane bottle inside and be totally self-contained.

The heating unit of the tiny one is surprisingly heavy, so any stand you build will have to have enough weight at the bottom so it won't be wobbly.

May do it as blog post.
Bob

The OP asked two questions and I'm afraid the second question is going to get lost. Here it is:

How do I connect a propane stove and a Mr. Buddy to the same bulk bottle?

The answer is to buy a T adapter at Ace, Home Depot or Amazon. But I've never done it.

So, who has done it and can you give us a link to what you used? Any tricks to it?
Bob

Thank you, all. Bob, I am looking at the tiny one, and I imagine it can't be too hard to build something for it to stand on.

In Portland our normal overnight lows are 40+, even in the winter, so I think you're right that the bigger one would be overpowering

Also, can you elaborate more on the 5 gallon bucket idea? I'm having trouble picturing it. I know I'm probably overthinking this a little, but with propane I want to make sure I do everything right so I don't asphyxiate or blow up.

The tiny one will be perfect for you!

The problem is the green bottle is the stand and since we want to convert it to a bulk bottle, we have to make a new stand because we aren't using the green bottles. You have to build a new stand to hold it and also allow the hose to go through the top and come out the side and go to your bulk bottle.

That has nothing to do with their safety, unless it falls over. Since it is top heavy, either the stand needs to be very wide or have enough weight in it to be stable.

You could use a 5 gallon bucket, you just have to cut a hole in the lid for it to sit on and that will let the hose go through, I'd attach it to the lid with plumbers tape which is metal strapping with many holes in it. then you need a hole in the side for the hose to come out to go to the bottle.

We don't want to waste space so you'll fill it with something heavy like canned goods at the bottom to make it stable.

The more I think about it the more i don't think it would be tall enough for a 1 gallon bottle to sit inside it. The 1 gallon bulk bottles are very small but with the filter on the Mr Buddy and the hose coming out, I don't think it would fit. You could try and see.

I know that's a lot of new stuff to try to visualize, I really should just do it and make a post out of it with lots of pictures.
Bob

4 in pvc about 4 in tall with a bottom set inside made out of wood will not only make a stand but a means to secure it down  use drywall screws through the side of pvc to hold bottom inside of the pvc pipe

Here's the one we have ( a new thermocouple). Marketed by Paulin, 8000-10000-12000 BTU settings...too hot for us so I cycle it on and off a lot.
This one will lay back on the frame with the heat cone facing up for a big cook pot.
IMG_20150913_143421696.jpg
IMG_20150913_143359931.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150913_143421696.jpg
    IMG_20150913_143421696.jpg
    869.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150913_143359931.jpg
    IMG_20150913_143359931.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 15
NickTheoBennett said:
I'm looking at buying a Little Buddy and a 2 burner propane stove.  I'd like to have a tank in the back hooked up to both
If I can, what hardware do I need?  Also, any recommendations on where to buy the hoses and adapters and such?

I do this. This is what I use:

For starters you do not need a regulator for the Mr. Buddy. DO NOT DOUBLE REGULATE!!!!

This will hook up a single appliance to a BBQ tank (20 LB LP tank)
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-12-...1442202715&sr=8-4&keywords=Mr.+Heater+LP+hose

Now, if you need a regulator for the 2 burner cooktop, you need one like this http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Hos...-15&keywords=Mr.+Heater+LP+hose+and+regulator

This is the "extend-a-stay" I made for our old Class C. My daughter is still using it. It is nothing more than a plain old "T" with gas shut off valves and an ACME nut (to put on/ take off with no tools) and hoses with and a gas quick connect (I love gas quick connects and you have to make sure you get a GAS one)
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss150/lornaschinske/Our RV/PIC_1938.jpg
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss150/lornaschinske/Our RV/PIC_1936.jpg
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss150/lornaschinske/Our RV/PIC_1940.jpg

If you make one like what I made, you may want to buy your parts separately. Don't get a hose with the regulator crimped on. Get one that is screwed on. Put the ACME nut on one leg of the "T" (no hose). Put the non-regulated hose (pipe thread and the "disposable bottle end)) on another leg of the "T". Put the regulator (needs a pipe thread nipple) on the remaining leg of the "T" and then put the hose on it. You can use a brass or iron pipe "T". Just make sure your hoses will thread into the "T" so I suggest you get your hoses first. They should all be the same size as the pipe thread end of the ACME nut. You will need to pay attention to get the right end fittings on your hoses. Do not get Natural Gas hoses unless it says it is for both Natural Gas AND LP gas (they cost more). LP (Liquid propane) is HIGH PRESSURE unless regulated. Even then I would only use HIGH PRESSURE hoses.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss150/lornaschinske/Our RV/PIC_1940.jpg

Hi Rose...Yes, regulate for a regular cooktop, but not for Coleman (or other) campstoves. Like the Buddy, they are self-regulated. Other camp items that take green bottles are also, unless required by the mfg.

Glad I looked at this thread! This is very good info for what I want to do... hook up a portable Buddy to a bigger tank.
I bookmarked it so I can find it later.

My question is very similar.

I need to hook my 20LB tank to my Wave 3 and coleman 'powerpack' stove. I have a hose with a regulator. Can "T" off that and into my stove? What connectors do I need?

I already bought the wrong connectors for this stuff off Amazon so I need to absolutely sure this time.

One Awesome Inch said:
My question is very similar.

I need to hook my 20LB tank to my Wave 3 and coleman 'powerpack' stove. I have a hose with a regulator. Can "T" off that and into my stove? What connectors do I need?

I already bought the wrong connectors for this stuff off Amazon so I need to absolutely sure this time.

If you aren't sure about what connectors you need, then you need to stop buying off of Amazon. Look at your appliances. Do they take the little green bottles? That is a "throw away fitting"

Various fittings:
This is a "new style" OPD Valve. It is threaded into the top of 20lb tanks (and various other sizes)
detail_101_OPD-Valve.jpg

ACME Type 1 Nut: good no tools needed connection. Often called a "hand wheel" connection. Threads onto the refillable LP tanks (from 1 lb up to 100 lb) with the "new style" OPD valves.
detail_91_F276495.jpg

This is a throw away or disposable bottle fitting. The bottle itself has a "male" fitting
detail_74_F273755.jpg

Your appliance has a "female" fitting. Most appliances with fittings like this do not need, nor should they be on a regulator.
detail_73_F273754.jpg

Sometimes you will find grill regulators with the female disposable bottle fitting built into them.
detail_490_F273769_large.jpg

Figure out what fittings you need to hook up each appliance (you should need the nut plus two male disposable bottle fittings based on your description if no regulator appliances are needed to be hooked up) then draw up a diagram and do a little measuring as to how long you need your hoses to be. When buying hoses, keep in mind that hoses wear out and need to be replaced whereas the brass fittings do not so much. The exception is the male disposable bottle fitting tends to wear out. I would not buy hoses with the fitting crimped on. You want a plain hose with the iron pipe thread fitting attached. That way you can simply replace the hose (or the fitting) as needed. If you are going with threaded fittings, you will need a "T" with 1/4" iron pipe thread on each leg. This will allow you to thread the nut onto one leg and a threaded hose end connects to each of the remaining two legs or you can add another "T" to one leg. You may need a short threaded nipple to make the connections... depends on your hose. You will definitely need a short iron pipe threaded nipple if you add another "T". I personally like to put quarter turn gas shut off valves in each leg of the T except for the one with the ACME nut.

Look at the fittings and pay attention as to which ones you need http://www.propaneproducts.com/catalog/parts-fittings-hoses-35-1.html

You can buy Mr. Heater fittings at ACE and Tru Value stores as well as limited in Wal-mart with the gas grill stuff, if you want to actually work out what you need while holding it in your hand. Pay attention to the sizes of the pipe thread ends on your fittings.

Don't forget to use teflon tape that is made specially for gas. The stuff for water will deteriorate from gas. Gas teflon tape is often yellow. Only use gas valves and gas quick connects when using with gas. You can use any copper, brass, iron/galvanized fittings (pay attention to the flared ends!!) Always check your fittings for leaks with a bit of soapy water. Any bubbles that grow or multiply mean you have a leak. If a mild tighening doesn't stop the leak, then pull it apart and start over.

Best hose I have found is a COMBO Nat gas/LP that we got from a fireplace shop that was being auctioned. DO NOT USE NAT GAS ONLY HOSES ON LP. LP pressure is to too high and it will blow the hose. HIGH PRESSURE is what you are looking for to be stamped on the hose. LP gas does not mean Low Pressure gas. It is high pressure. If you need a really long hose then check with the LP distributor to see what they charge to make you up a hose.

Hope this makes sense.

A little background for you to see the big picture. To simplify for our purposes, there are two kinds of appliances:

1) High Pressure which is all our camping appliances like a Coleman propane stove or a Mr. Buddy Heater. They do NOT use a regulator, they attach directly to the bulk bottle with an adapter hose.
2) Low Pressure which is almost all other propane appliances. Virtually everything in an RV is low pressure. The way it becomes low pressure is through a regulator which reduces the pressure coming out of the bottle.

Because the Wave 3 was designed to be permanently mounted it is a low pressure device. The Coleman stove is high pressure. You can make it work. What you need is a "T" adapter that comes out of the bulk bottle and then has one standard opening to the side and one at the end.

You will the screw the adapter hose from the Coleman stove to the side connection so it is getting high pressure directly from the bottle before the regulator.

You will screw a regulator into the other end and then screw the hose from the Wave 3 into the regulator so it is getting low pressure.

Happiness ensues!
Bob

I am not sure you are right Bob about the Coleman stoves being high pressure. all the ones I have used and seen have a regulator built into the piece that you screw the little bottle to. however when you go to a bulk tank this must be fed with high pressure or you are going to be double regulating. I believe that is what you are referring to. highdesertranger