What about Idaho?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB1954

Reaction score
I am in Southern NV. and my van build will be done tonight, (or rather I will be tired of working on it).
I hear a lot about NM, AZ, CO, for the summer but not ID.
I was thinking about heading up North in NV.   Ely to Elko then into going into ID and then if things are still entertaining going West into WA.
Any thoughts about this tentative plan?

Scar, a long time member here has offered his place to travelers.
http://honeyspark.webs.com

It's been awhile since I've been, but Idaho was one of my favourite states. So pretty and so much diversity in the terrain.

Go!!!

I'm currently camped at Lud Drexler sp. $5 a night unless you have a senior pass then $2.50. North of Jackpot off route 93. Pit toilet, dump, water, cabanas on reservoir in case you want to swim. I would stay again if passing by. There are plenty of dirt roads branching off of 93 where I'm sure you could camp for free if you don't need any of the amenities mentioned

I know a lot of fulltimers go to ID in the summer, along with WY, MT, OR and WA. I'll be there in about a month.

I spent some time boondocking just South of Stanley, ID. Got to see Bald Eagles (some other bird of prey too, don't remember the name) and herds of deer. Fishing the Salmon river too. Camped right beside it.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Looks like all I have to do now is pack. I have never been there so no mater what part I see, it will be new. I have spent time in the van going to vehicle builds to help others for a month at a time, but this will be the first time that I am touring solo. It feels odd.
I don't have an itinerary, but maybe head to Idaho Falls and maybe stop in on Scar's Honey park. I ordered a benchmark map book and two other books on the backroads. Maybe by the time they arrive I will be ready to go.

We went to Challis National Forest in Idaho for the eclipse last year. I wish we could have stayed the full 14 days. It was beautiful. We stayed here: 43.9875743, -113.4623940

Seems all the useful stuff is in southern Idaho. I'm in northern Idaho. Not much up here for free camping.

A Savage Adventure said:
Seems all the useful stuff is in southern Idaho. I'm in northern Idaho. Not much up here for free camping.

Have you checked out freecampsites.net?  There seems to be quite a few on there for the northern part.

Bobflhtc said:
I'm currently camped at Lud Drexler sp. $5 a night unless you have a senior pass then $2.50. North of Jackpot off route 93. Pit toilet, dump, water, cabanas on reservoir in case you want to swim. I would stay again if passing by. There are plenty of dirt roads branching off of 93 where I'm sure you could camp for free if you don't need any of the amenities mentioned

is the senior pass exclusively for Idaho?

The Senior pass is available once you hit 62. It used to be a one-time charge of $10 for life but I think it went up to $80.

All national forest, national park, BLM and army Corp camping is 50% off and it gives you free entry to national parks.

[ATTACH=full said:
19847[/ATTACH]A Savage Adventure pid='387121' dateline='1528961647']Seems all the useful stuff is in southern Idaho. I'm in northern Idaho. Not much up here for free camping.

We stayed for a few nights for free in North Idaho at Johnson Creek.  It is owned by the Army Corps and is free.

You have to be ok with mountain views and waterfront, but other than that it seems nice.

IMG_0243_zpslsseqtou.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0243_zpslsseqtou.jpg
    IMG_0243_zpslsseqtou.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 12
I should have mentioned that the Senior pass is good in every state

B and C said:
Have you checked out freecampsites.net?  There seems to be quite a few on there for the northern part.

Yes, here's the map where I am. I am the star. The one to the left is a Walmart. The ones I circled in red all seem to be limited access reading reviews and looking at the sat view. Like, I know I could get my truck in there easily. But my 25' Travel Trailer...now that's another story.

IGBT said:
We stayed for a few nights for free in North Idaho at Johnson Creek.  It is owned by the Army Corps and is free. You have to be ok with mountain views and waterfront, but other than that it seems nice.

Do you have an address or coordinates? A search for Johnson Creek by name always brings up WI, not ID. I don't see it in the Free Campsites page either.

Mountain Views and Waterfront? Oh, I don't know if I could handle that!  :p

Bobflhtc said:

I think I will be coming up 93 and Lud Drexler seems a good stop. Looks like wells may be a good place to get supplies, or is there a good place closer? It will still be a few days before I start up. I ordered some maps and books from Amazon. Still packing and figuring out what I will take.

A Savage Adventure said:
Do you have an address or coordinates? A search for Johnson Creek by name always brings up WI, not ID. I don't see it in the Free Campsites page either.

Mountain Views and Waterfront? Oh, I don't know if I could handle that!  :p

It is at 48.139231,-116.228913 on Google maps.

It is mostly for boat launching but there are about 3 or 4 camp spots and a pit toilet.

Thanks! That's not too far from me. Maybe 1:45 away. We have family that way in Montana, so maybe I will get a chance to check it out next tip there. We go through Sandpoint on the way there.

A Savage Adventure said:
Thanks! That's not too far from me. Maybe 1:45 away. We have family that way in Montana, so maybe I will get a chance to check it out next tip there. We go through Sandpoint on the way there.

In Montana there is a most excellent campground that is also run by Army Corp and also free (for 14 day limit stay I think) called Dunn Creek.

Here is a pic of it when we were staying there.  It has tons and tons of camping spots.

IMG_20160611_174759817_zpsbzu7szng.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160611_174759817_zpsbzu7szng.jpg
    IMG_20160611_174759817_zpsbzu7szng.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 12