Well, here goes....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinajean

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I’ve been reading the forums and every other part of the website and your YouTube videos for several months now. I’m in the “fear stage” of converting and living in a van full time...but I really think it’s what I need and want in my life. I’m a 46 year old single female, my kids are now living on their own and I’ve always wanted to travel and see new things. I currently work full time and barely make enough to pay my rent, utilities and all the things associated with a brick and mortar home. I would love to attend, at least part of, the upcoming RTR but my fear of what family/friends may think is getting in my way...my kids know I’m a gypsy at heart though ❤️ 
Just wanted to say Hi! And I look forward to getting to know you and making my move :0)

Tina

I understand that fear very well. I've only recently found Bob's vids and this forum. I have promised myself to make it to at least some of the RTR, even if I have to do it in my tow SUV only. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Welcome Tina to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. hope to see you at RTR. highdesertranger

Hi Tinajean and welcome. Best of luck to you. If you're worried about what your family\friends think, why? Are they living your life? Dealing with your pysche? Feeling your wants? Whatever? Prob not, do they say they love you? If so, take them at their word and do what you want. If they love you, they might worry, but they will be happy you're happy. If they're not happy that you're happy, is that love or just some bs PC crap? Go find your friends, the ones you haven't met yet. The ones that will truly show you friendship and not some conditional crap. If that makes sense. Do you. Again, best of luck. It might not be easy, but if its what you want, you'll happily pay the hardship price.

JohnnyK said:
I understand that fear very well. I've only recently found Bob's vids and this forum. I have promised myself to make it to at least some of the RTR, even if I have to do it in my tow SUV only. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Best of luck to you! Perhaps we will see each other there

Wabbit said:
Hi Tinajean and welcome. Best of luck to you. If you're worried about what your family\friends think, why? Are they living your life? Dealing with your pysche? Feeling your wants? Whatever? Prob not, do they say they love you? If so, take them at their word and do what you want. If they love you, they might worry, but they will be happy you're happy. If they're not happy that you're happy, is that love or just some bs PC crap? Go find your friends, the ones you haven't met yet. The ones that will truly show you friendship and not some conditional crap. If that makes sense. Do you. Again, best of luck. It might not be easy, but if its what you want, you'll happily pay the hardship price.

It does make sense and I know all those things...I tell them to people every day at work. I suppose it’s time to take my own advice and start living the life I choose to live and do what makes me happy. Thank you for the advice!

I know just how you feel. I've told my daughter I'm going but no one else.
I'm afraid of how my leaving will affect my 89 year old mother. My daughter mentioned it to her and she laughed and said
he probably wouldn't do something like that for a few years. Supppose it's like just ripping off the band aid and just tell everyone.
I have a brother and two sisters that help take care of her she'll be Okay.

bluewolf said:
I know just how you feel. I've told my daughter I'm going but no one else.
I'm afraid of how my leaving will affect my 89 year old mother. My daughter mentioned it to her and she laughed and said
he probably wouldn't do something like that for a few years. Supppose it's like just ripping off the band aid and just tell everyone.
I have a brother and two sisters that help take care of her she'll be Okay.

I suppose there’s never a “perfect” time, we could always find a reason or excuse not to do it but no matter what, life goes on wherever we are...it’s up to us to decide if we’ll just live or live happily. Also, we can always travel back to family anytime and we’ll always have a place to stay ? Good luck to you and whatever you choose to do, may your life be filled with happiness!

Say you're going for a few days- then you're having so much fun, it's turned into a week- and they really need to check it out, then ...

I understand the fear too. We are about the same age and I have been a 2-door sedan driver all my life -no kids. When I bought a minivan last year everyone was surprised. I put a bed and some bins in it and told everyone it was for camping. This kind of eased them into the idea. Then this past September I sold my house and moved into an extended stay hotel for a couple months. While there, I bought a Cargo Van – more shock. I explained the minivan wasn’t big enough to camp comfortably. Everyone is ok with that idea. Then, I had to let them know my new mailing address, which is a mail forwarder out of FL. At that point I let them know I sold the house and where I was staying. As of November 1 I am full time in the van. I have not told them that minor detail yet as I am sure they will convene an intervention if they know the reality.

As far as the fear of getting out there, I had that too but just doing it, as Nike says, is a lot less scary than sitting around worrying about every worst-case scenario possibility. Be safe, use common sense and precaution and best of luck on your new adventure.