Welding with solar power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van Man Dave

Reaction score
We met an interesting fellow yesterday, who uses a small MIG welder (120v), powered by inverter/solar battery bank, to create metal art while traveling.

Is anyone else doing any small scale welding on the road?   I would love to hear what kind of setup has worked well for you.

I have one of these,

http://readywelder.com/

I also have a small Lincoln 120v MIG. here's my view,

the ready welder runs on 24-36VDC so two 12v batteries no inverter needed.

the ready welder can weld much heavier metal on 24v I can lay down a great weld on 3/8" plate can't even get close to that with the Lincoln.

the ready welder is very portable comes in a small suitcase. it's meant to be portable the Lincoln is not.

I also have a old Lincoln SA 150. talk about a portable welder the only thing it needs it's own trailer.

any more questions ask away.

highdesertranger

Here's something I stumbled upon in my research. Also, aluminum can be joined by brazing, you just need a small propane torch.

that's a stick welder. you can stick weld with a pair of jumper cables, a battery, and some welding rods. you don't need some fancy dancy buzz box to stick weld with a car battery. highdesertranger

HDR - I really like the variability, flexibility and size of that ready welder. Seems like it would be great for hobby work as well as heavier trail repairs, with my multiple batteries on board. Super cool.

I have heard of people welding real thin sheet metal with it using one 12v battery. however I have never tried it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
that's a stick welder.  you can stick weld with a pair of jumper cables,  a battery,  and some welding rods.  you don't need some fancy dancy buzz box to stick weld with a car battery.  highdesertranger
I read years ago in some sort of survivalist magazine... like soldier of fortune etc... there was a stick welder that they reviewed that was a second alternator added to the engine. When switched on it powered the welder, when switched off it was a second alt for their batteries radios etc. And they mentioned having to make an emergency repair using 3 car batteries in parallel with jumper cables once while off roading with friends. Ever since I've wanted one but if you only need one battery maybe I should carry some sticks and jumper cables.

How much does that drain a battery in your experience? And is it damaging to a lead acid battery if used occasionally? I'd assume the best application would be clamping on while the engine is running. 

Also I'm sure you wouldnt be able to weld the vehicle with the battery installed. 

I havent used a welder since I was 12 years old or so.

that company that made the alternator welder is still around,

http://premierpowerwelder.com/

the single battery stick welding is for lighter material. it's better to use 2 or 3 batteries. it does drain 1 battery rater quickly and the battery(s) need to be in good shape. I much prefer to use a MIG welder over stick. I only use the stick for welding thick material like 3/8ths plus. I would say give it a try it's not going to cost much.

I have had the ready welder for over 20 years and have used it many times to make back country repairs. it's a great welder.

highdesertranger

Latest posts