All-In-One Inverter/Charge Controllers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvNaut

Reaction score
There are three models I am looking at

Growatt
https://www.growatt-america.com/show-42-589.html
Sigineer
https://www.sigineer.com/product/30...110v-120v-with-40a-utility-charger-50hz-60hz/
MPP
https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/splitphase-lv6548/

These boxen seem to be a good choice for my project. What they offer, would cost much more with components, and yes, indv components can be replaced etc etc...

I have my leanings for this, and am wondering if anyone else has put one of these in their rigs?

FWIW.. it will be a 48v battery bank using 16 3.2 280ah cells with a 16s BMS.. the current setup is a Freedom 458 inverter/controller box the RV came with , and ( cough) 4 6v cart batteries... and yes I need/want that much battery.. and yes I want 48v... right now I will have 350w panels in the design, but what about in 6 years when I can replace them with 600 panels.. the controller and batter can handle that.. 24v would not.. yadda yadda.. :)

Will Prowse has done some good vids on AIO, if you haven't see them yet.

I'm never around shore power so I have no practical knowledge to share. :)

Why waste time trying to figure out what you are going to replace your current system with 6 years from now... unless you are doing this activity purely for entertainment time to relieve full time Nomad boredom? Sure keep up on new developments in solar systems, but trying to make an actual decision about what to buy 6 years out makes no sense.

The currently available units will most certainly no longer be available by then. There will be better and cheaper ones around. The solar market will have advanced to new offerings with different equipment advantage's.

Sure it does.. in a lot of situations, maybe not for you, but it works for me to build towards a system that isn't locked into one thing or another.. like all the 12v people that now wish they had gone with 24v.. .

I have done a ton of research.. my query was for anyone with experience with all-in-ones.. no one does.

YMMV IANAL

my query was for anyone with experience with all-in-ones.. no one does

To be fair, since its inception this forum has been aimed at and predominately used by people with modest requirements, modest means and modest systems.

You might want check out the DIY Solar forum where there is an entire subforum devoted to AIO devices. The downside is there are a few lost sheep there who think it's supposed to be for "solar generators", which have their own subforum.

Here's my two cents worth. Two years ago, I had two 12V 100ah LiFeP04 batteries I had built myself from raw cells and two good BMS boards; they cost me about $600 each at the time. Back in December, I bought four 12V 200ah Chin batteries for $600 each, delivered to my door. My point is I got twice the storage capacity for half the money per amp hour a year later. I have those batteries set up in a 2s2p configuration, two in series, two resulting in two in parallel, for 25.6 at 400ah for a total of 10,240wh. That's a lot of juice for a 27-foot class C, but I can run my A/C and microwave simultaneously if need be. I found a Giandel 4000w 24v PSW inverter for $575 and snatched it up with a couple of 40 amp charge controllers by keeping my eyes open on Amazon and eBay. As to panels, I just bought six new (for me) slightly used 275w solar panels for $85 each. Shipping from Az. to Tx. is acceptable at $157. I had some 200w used with snail trails that did well for two years, but I need more power with the new battery bank. I gave the old panels to a friend for his fishing camp. You don't need the latest and greatest; you will overspend. Patience is a virtue, It will be much cheaper 6-months to a year from now, and more than likely, there will be better and newer tech by then.

I'm an old fart on a fixed SSI income. I have a small side hustle. I saved all of my COVID money from uncle sugar. I didn't run out a see how fast I could spend it on crap I didn't need. I own everything I've got, and I owe no one. This is the key to happiness and surviving while doing what you want within your limitations. If you're going to live as a nomad, you have to be willing to give up materialism and sentiment; you can't carry everything with you. A minimalist lifestyle is essential. I know people who pay up to $2500 a year storing crap they don't need, and it isn't worth the money they're paying to keep it.

If one is interested in a great 48v off-grid AIO system that's code compliant, check out the new video by Will Prowse on YouTube.