Weight Loss For The Over 50 year old Crowd

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blmkid

Reaction score
[size=medium]Even though I " fit the bill " , I just can't say out loud that I'm a  " Senior Citizen "(wtf came up with that?). [/size]
[size=medium]I retired early, two years ago. I'm not active like I should be. Yes, I spend more time searching the internet for "the truth", in my case it's non-fiction USA Old Western history. It's cheaper than buying the magazines.[/size]

[size=medium]Does anyone have a diet they stick to? , and maintain's a regular healthy weight without exercising? I want to slowly adjust to a healthier diet. Slowly. Jumping into a strict diet, is just as hard as trying to go cold turkey after a 3 pack a day habit (that's tobacco) for me. Quit smoking 9 years ago.[/size]

[size=medium]I got off the Diet Coke's for several months back in the Spring. That helped. Drinking Lot's of water. Now I've gotten back to 3 cokes a day. Those little 50 cents apple pies are so tasty. [/size]

[size=medium]Its a mind set I know. It's just hard to "focus" on a strict diet some times. Even being retired, there is some stress, maybe not to you, but to me. This time of year and with Holiday season coming. It seems like it's "Doom"(xbox game) for my attempt at a diet without some type of support.[/size]

[size=medium]Please feel free to post your daily eating menu.  THAT would help a lot!  I'm hoping it will also benefit other's on this forum.[/size]

[size=medium]Will never get back that "6 pack" again. But would like to drop down from my 18 pack down to a 12 pack. Don't we all want to look good arriving at RTR?  :D . Day 1 of RTR, all bet's are off.[/size]

The equation is a simple balance of energy in and energy out.
If you are active enough to burn the energy you take in, then you have to drastically reduce the amount you eat.

After 50 the metabolism really slows down, making it even harder to balance that equation.

Unless you want to live with 500 cal a day...get exercise. There are many other benefits tomit also. But, you really don't want to live on the meager amount of calories a sedimentary lifestyle would dictate. The only other choice is admit defeat and gain more weight year after year.

Blmkid,

I could write a book on this.  Have fought my weight all of my adult life, tried every "Diet" program out there, hate hate hate "Exercise" as most think of it (gym, videos, etc.).  I finally found what worked for me and will share that with you, hoping it may help you.

First, living alone.  When another person is involved, any meals, snacks, food purchases are made taking into account the other person's likes.  This was driven home to me after my husband died.  I was doing the normal shopping, looked down into my shopping cart and saw boxed Mac n cheese, prepared foods high in fat and sugar, the stuff he liked.  I stood there in the aisle and thought, "This is all wrong!"  It was years of habit.  So I put it all back and started over.  Began in produce, fresh meats, and avoided the aisles with junk and prepared foods.  I still do that.  Over the first year, I lost 50 pounds just by doing that.  NO exercise!

Second, Know your triggers.  I realized that being around certain foods was a guarantee that I would stuff my face with trash.  I can't eat just one cookie, ten chips, a small bowl of ice cream.  So I avoid exposure to those trigger foods.  Like an alcoholic having just one drink -- no!  If someone asked me out to eat, I would decline.  Maybe invite them over and I'll cook dinner where I control what's placed in front of me?  And how much?  I NEVER bring those trigger foods into my home in any real quantities.  If I do, it's a small container or portion.  Because if I eat that one candy bar, I will start craving them and it takes three days for those cravings to subside.  So I avoid them as much as possible.

Thirdly, the dreaded "E" word.  No, I am NOT going to walk 30 plus minutes a day and monitor my heart rate, wearing some little spandex outfit with special shoes that cost a fortune.  But every little bit of moving counts.  So I park farther out in parking lots.  I walk the block or two to friends/neighbor's/wherever.  In really nice weather, I'll take a short leisurely stroll, just to get out.  Get a smaller trash can that requires you to take out the trash more often.  Whatever you can think of that's easy and requires just a little bit more movement.  It counts!

Making small changes instead of "going on a diet", or joining a gym where you'll go for a few weeks then quit, is more doable and more likely to succeed.  These small changes are also more likely to become habits over time that will work, slowly perhaps, but it will work.

Over two years, I lost 70#, it wasn't too painful, and have kept it off for seven years now.  I allow myself a three pound variance in weight, when I hit that high point, I become more aware again and get it back off.  By avoiding those triggers.  Taking a little walk.  I do not go hungry or starve myself as that leads to a binge.  I keep fruit and healthy snacks around and in sight where it is easy to grab.  Popcorn works for me, in those small bags.

Oh, and I almost quit drinking alcohol entirely.  Lots of calories.  And when I do have a cocktail, it's something like scotch and soda because it's just ok taste wise and I won't want more than one or two.

This whole process took a while to figure out.  You can't quit eating like you quit smoking.  You have to face that nemesis several times a day, every day of your life.  I had to figure out my relationship with food and eating and that was difficult and an eye opener for me.  It became easier over time but even now, nine years later, I slip back now and then (Oh, man, fettuccine Alfredo, moan).  And eating is also such a social activity.  That's hard.  But GOING ON A DIET AND EXERCISE PROGRAM doesn't work.  It's too drastic, it's too hard!  Make small changes over time, don't sweat when you slip up, that's not a failure because the rest of the day still counts as a success when instead of a bag of chips, you have an apple.  Oh! And I don't scrimp on my food budget.  My favorite fruit is honey crisp apples -- priced them lately?  I don't care, I will eat GOOD food!

I also didn't set a "goal" of 70 pounds; that sounded so impossible!  So it was five pounds.  That felt so easy, just five pounds!  Success breeds success.  Five down led to five more.  And so on.  And no, I'm not gonna walk three miles today, I'm gonna walk around the block, or down the street. And I'm gonna quit before it hurts because if it hurts, I won't do it again!

I wish you the best on that journey of figuring out your own route.  And know that others will oftentimes unknowingly/subconsciously say and do things that feel like sabotage to you.  And you know what?  If it's only two pounds, that's success, too.

Edit:  as for a daily menu, I don't do that because I eat whatever I feel like at the time.  I buy "healthy" foods and that's all I keep in my home so I can choose from those only.  It won't matter what the meal is because it won't be anything "bad".

not just diet, but lifestyle change! And that is hard, so ease into it. Trying to change too much all at once sets up for failure/resentment.

A couple of tips to get started...
1. Food - eliminate sugars as much as possible! And diet drinks or anything with artificial sweeteners are worse for you than the sugar! If you need/want to drink a soda better to go for the real rather than diet. The more sugar you eliminate from your diet the better real food will taste! I used to go through~two liter Pepsi everyday (instead of coffee)...big change when I cut it out -- now I can't stand the taste of it.  Love water, but when I need something more I have Celestial teas in the fruity flavors: black cherry, country peach, tangerine orange..brew up ahead of time and chill. Yummy over ice for a cold drink.

When shopping look at ingredient labels -- if it has any words you can not pronounce put it back. The added chemicals/preservatives/flavor enhancers etc. mess with the way your body metabolizes food.  Don't deny yourself stuff but try limiting portion sizes. All You Can Eat is not the best philosophy! 
Obviously fresh veggies are better than canned, but frozen are better than canned too.

2.Exercise - two things will help you have more energy: 1. start the day off by stretching. Does not have to be full-on yoga to be effective, just stretch any muscles you can -- gentle stretches, hold, and release. Will start your day off more energized. try to keep at it for at least 10 minutes -- there are all kinds of muscles you do not use...find them!

2. And walk, walk, walk, walk, anywhere & everywhere you can.  Don't take the closet parking spot you find when going anywhere....park as far away as you can tolerate and walk it.  Get one of the free step counter apps on your phone. Minimum steps to start aiming for per day is 10,000

Good luck!!

The trick to diets is to not be on one. Humans are creatures of habit and the food we eat falls into that category. Change your food habits to food that is healthy for you and you'll never have to think about dieting again. I think you're taking the right approach by easing into it, trying to change an entire diet over night is a recipe for failure. Along with change in diet, moving the body is very helpful in shedding unwanted pounds. Hiking (uphill) can burn as much calories as running for those that hate running, and I hate running. But any movement is good movement, even just a few push ups, sit ups, and jumping jacks every morning over time really add up.

Replace one snack a day with something healthier and build on that. I'd definitely work at eliminating the soda too, and it's a hard habit to break. They say a good way to break bad foot habits is to start by eliminating them during the week and then having them on the weekends as a reward. After doing that for a few weeks, start having them on Friday and Saturdays, cutting them off on Sunday and weekdays, then eliminate Saturday and only consume on Fridays. And then cut further back by only allowing on Friday night, until you completely cut them out. Adding a slice or two of lemon to water can help make drinking it easier and it's good for you.

Some of my go to snacks are rice crackers and refried beans, avocado/guacamole, assorted nuts, tomato with mozzarella and/or guacamole, fresh popped popcorn (I eat in plain), peanut butter, cheese and crackers, fruits and vegetables, particularly easy to eat on the go types, like bananas and apples. Sometimes i'll sprinkle a little cinnamon on the apple slices. I also snack on the previous nights leftovers.....a few slices of meat or chicken mid day is one of my favorites.

Stay away and stay busy. Years ago I bought an older Class B that needed a lot of work and I trekked out to Slab City for the winter. I've had the weight problem on and off for years but it's a fact that if I'm busy with a project,like doing a lot of body and mechanical work on an RV, I will eat much less. I wasn't working out at a gym but moving around materials, tools and climbing up and down most of the day was very similar. Staying active in warmer weather does it too,dampening the appetite, so the 75 degree weather in SoCal really helped. I lost 25 lbs. in 3 months that winter.

Staying away from junk food was also key for me. Since there were no fast food places in Niland, that wasn't a problem. When you're on the road, it's too easy to just stop at one of the 1000's of McD's,Burger Kings,Tace Hells,etc. but when boondocking in a remote area, you can stay away from that crap. Shop wisely with healthier foods that you prepare yourself and head for the hills for a week or more. You have to plan ahead and count how many meals you need and then make sure you don't cheat so you run out and have to make unnecessary trips. Save money on both gas and food.

I found a very simple way that works extremely well for me. No sugar. Eat mostly fresh fruits, fresh veggies, and fresh cuts of meats. Minimal grains/carbs (other than fruit). Use Stevia instead of sugar. The weight literally falls off.

This is a great thread with many wonderful suggestions for those of us who are “horizontally challenged.”

However, before you attempt any of these great ideas you must do one thing . . .

GET CONTROL OF YOUR WILLPOWER

Just my opinion . . .

Stargazer said:
Blmkid,

"produce, fresh meats, and avoided the aisles with junk and prepared foods. "
This should be the main focus point for me.

"Know your triggers.  I realized that being around certain foods was a guarantee that I would stuff my face with trash.  I can't eat just one cookie, ten chips, a small bowl of ice cream.  So I avoid exposure to those trigger foods.  I NEVER bring those trigger foods into my home in any real quantities." 
Yes agreed. I do not keep at home. If I wanted ice cream, it's the drive thru @ Dairy Queen and get the small ice cream cone. I was just having a P&J sandwich for my dessert after supper. Thinking of just having a Hershey's bar instead. Skip the bread and jelly. Or a couple spoon of peanut butter. 

In really nice weather, I'll take a short leisurely stroll, just to get out.  Whatever you can think of that's easy and requires just a little bit more movement.  It counts!
Humidity. Lots of it here. Keeps me in a/c. Couple weeks away and I'm back outside. Nice hiking trails 30 minutes away. There's a city lake close by. I enjoy that in cooler weather.

Making small changes instead....is more doable and more likely to succeed.  These small changes are also more likely to become habits over time that will work, slowly perhaps, but it will work. 
I hear you loud & clear on that. 

"Over two years, I lost 70#" Congrats!   I keep fruit and healthy snacks around and in sight where it is easy to grab.  Yes. but I do want to keep my carbs down. I eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning. Sometimes an apple, banana or kiwi with it.

"alcohol" That's been history for me since 3 years ago.

"(Oh, man, fettuccine Alfredo, moan)." < Let's not even go there..... "honey crisp apples" I'll pick up 1 and try it.
 "goal" I'll not focus on a goal. Just change how I eat.... "I'm gonna walk around the block"..I'll get back to at least doing 20 minutes on my treadmill..till it cools off.

I wish you the best on that journey of figuring out your own route. Thank you.

Itripper said:
I found a very simple way that works extremely well for me. No sugar. Eat mostly fresh fruits, fresh veggies, and fresh cuts of meats. Minimal grains/carbs (other than fruit). Use Stevia instead of sugar.  The weight literally falls off.
That is #1 keyword. Sugar. IT IS ADDICTIVE. I went from sugar to Stevia couple years ago. I've been using honey to sweeten coffee and add it to my oatmeal. Bread. Yep. That's rally bad. I got to stop the P&B's.

speedhighway46 said:
GET CONTROL OF YOUR WILLPOWER
Speed. That's it right there. WILLPOWER. Without, you can never change.

Yes, more of a lifestyle and discipline. Fewer packaged foods, the better. (the below is not an all-inclusive response)

Whole grains, no (a metabolism killer). Replace with sprouted grain or sourdough. One of the better choices is coconut flour.

Canola or vegetable Oils, no. Replace with grass-fed butter or coconut/olive oil.

The more nutrient dense focused you are, the weight will slide off. Look into nuts and healthy fats.

For people into exercising, burst training burns three times more calories than steady exercise. So in less time end results has greater effect plus burns fat for 36 hours.

Thanks for posting, I'm needing to do all of this myself again now.  Big yo-yo.  For me it's perfectionism and trying to do too much at once so that I can rebel and say, nevermind.  The slow thing is the most important.  Gotta get that myself.

Here's a weird thing that happened.  One day off I went in the ambulance to the hospital for what I thought was a heart attack.  It was not. It was a gallbladder thing and so that came out.  During my recovery from that, for most it's a one week recovery but mine was 6 months, I had great difficulty digesting food.  So if I was going to live, I had to eat what I could digest, a scary trial I tell ya.  During that time I did survive, clearly, and I lost so much weight I don't want to say the number.  As soon as my digestion returned, I immediately started putting weight back on.  I could not afford to "go slow" and make small changes in those particular circumstances.  But now, I am trying to have once per month (any more than that just triggers how hard that time was for me) what I ate every single day for 6 months that kept me alive.

So, here it is:  2 eggwhites scrambled in one pat of real butter and a green smoothie.  That's it.  Every Day and nothing else but a good vitamin and water.

The smoothie needs to be done in a Vitamix or other high speed blender but here it is if you are interested.  The recipe was given to me by an executive chef in Austin, TX.  Awesome, awesome, awesome.  I don't like veggies but I could do this.

1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice, 1/2 avocado, 2 celery sticks (halved and quartered), 1/3 cucumber (lightly chopped), 1/4 cup curly parsley, 1/2 banana, 1 giant handful fresh leaf spinach, 1/2 cup ice.  Blend, stir once lightly, blend, pour, and enjoy once in awhile!  I used a straw, found it mo betta.  Hope it helps.

Stargazer said:
Blmkid,

I could write a book on this.  Have fought my weight all of my adult life, tried every "Diet" program out there, hate hate hate "Exercise" as most think of it (gym, videos, etc.).  I finally found what worked for me and will share that with you, hoping it may help you.

First, living alone.  When another person is involved, any meals, snacks, food purchases are made taking into account the other person's likes.  This was driven home to me after my husband died.  I was doing the normal shopping, looked down into my shopping cart and saw boxed Mac n cheese, prepared foods high in fat and sugar, the stuff he liked.  I stood there in the aisle and thought, "This is all wrong!"  It was years of habit.  So I put it all back and started over.  Began in produce, fresh meats, and avoided the aisles with junk and prepared foods.  I still do that.  Over the first year, I lost 50 pounds just by doing that.  NO exercise!

Second, Know your triggers.  I realized that being around certain foods was a guarantee that I would stuff my face with trash.  I can't eat just one cookie, ten chips, a small bowl of ice cream.  So I avoid exposure to those trigger foods.  Like an alcoholic having just one drink -- no!  If someone asked me out to eat, I would decline.  Maybe invite them over and I'll cook dinner where I control what's placed in front of me?  And how much?  I NEVER bring those trigger foods into my home in any real quantities.  If I do, it's a small container or portion.  Because if I eat that one candy bar, I will start craving them and it takes three days for those cravings to subside.  So I avoid them as much as possible.

Thirdly, the dreaded "E" word.  No, I am NOT going to walk 30 plus minutes a day and monitor my heart rate, wearing some little spandex outfit with special shoes that cost a fortune.  But every little bit of moving counts.  So I park farther out in parking lots.  I walk the block or two to friends/neighbor's/wherever.  In really nice weather, I'll take a short leisurely stroll, just to get out.  Get a smaller trash can that requires you to take out the trash more often.  Whatever you can think of that's easy and requires just a little bit more movement.  It counts!

Making small changes instead of "going on a diet", or joining a gym where you'll go for a few weeks then quit, is more doable and more likely to succeed.  These small changes are also more likely to become habits over time that will work, slowly perhaps, but it will work.

Over two years, I lost 70#, it wasn't too painful, and have kept it off for seven years now.  I allow myself a three pound variance in weight, when I hit that high point, I become more aware again and get it back off.  By avoiding those triggers.  Taking a little walk.  I do not go hungry or starve myself as that leads to a binge.  I keep fruit and healthy snacks around and in sight where it is easy to grab.  Popcorn works for me, in those small bags.

Oh, and I almost quit drinking alcohol entirely.  Lots of calories.  And when I do have a cocktail, it's something like scotch and soda because it's just ok taste wise and I won't want more than one or two.

This whole process took a while to figure out.  You can't quit eating like you quit smoking.  You have to face that nemesis several times a day, every day of your life.  I had to figure out my relationship with food and eating and that was difficult and an eye opener for me.  It became easier over time but even now, nine years later, I slip back now and then (Oh, man, fettuccine Alfredo, moan).  And eating is also such a social activity.  That's hard.  But GOING ON A DIET AND EXERCISE PROGRAM doesn't work.  It's too drastic, it's too hard!  Make small changes over time, don't sweat when you slip up, that's not a failure because the rest of the day still counts as a success when instead of a bag of chips, you have an apple.  Oh! And I don't scrimp on my food budget.  My favorite fruit is honey crisp apples -- priced them lately?  I don't care, I will eat GOOD food!

I also didn't set a "goal" of 70 pounds; that sounded so impossible!  So it was five pounds.  That felt so easy, just five pounds!  Success breeds success.  Five down led to five more.  And so on.  And no, I'm not gonna walk three miles today, I'm gonna walk around the block, or down the street. And I'm gonna quit before it hurts because if it hurts, I won't do it again!

I wish you the best on that journey of figuring out your own route.  And know that others will oftentimes unknowingly/subconsciously say and do things that feel like sabotage to you.  And you know what?  If it's only two pounds, that's success, too.

Edit:  as for a daily menu, I don't do that because I eat whatever I feel like at the time.  I buy "healthy" foods and that's all I keep in my home so I can choose from those only.  It won't matter what the meal is because it won't be anything "bad".
Thanks for this great,common sense response to blmkid. I'm taking you up on it! And I agree, if I buy food I really love (Honeycrisp) I am more satisfied and don't go searching thru the cupboard and frig 30 minutes after I finish a meal! I've proven to myself over and over again that "going on a diet" just doesn't work in the long run. As for exercise, I could give you a million excuses, but plain and simple I hate it and don't do it. Good luck all you folks out there trying to adopt a healthy lifestyle You can do it!!

"Unique Exercises for Back Pain" - 3:00 minutes.  
"subtle and effective stretching techniques that makes flexibility.... as simple as one, two, three." 
ch-jamluchan

"15 minute Low Impact workout that will safely work your total body. " 
ch - HASfit

My morning routine now. I can live with these 2 video's. Dropped my usual 27 carbs of oatmeal yesterday. Doing coffee with honey, banana for breakfast, then several glasses of water before lunch.  I'm 6', 214 lbs, this morning. I need to do something about lower back pain flare-ups. 

I hope this to be useful to someone else. Thanks for sharing  guys & gals.

I went gluten free Paleo/Primal about 5 years ago for health reasons and the weight just fell off. Part of this included changing my mindset from food as a treat to food as fuel. I now eat for energy, health and stamina (with the exception of holidays :D ). Paleo/Primal diet consists of healthy fats, fresh fruits and fresh veggies. When craving a sandwich there is gluten free bread but it can be expensive. I lost over 50 lbs in less than 6 months without exercising but this is not a diet. Because the weight was coming off my activity level began to increase. This is (for me) a life long plan. I chose to eliminate red meat last year to give my heart a fighting chance against the medications needed to keep my illness tampered and no longer miss it. 

A typical day of food for me:

Breakfast 7:00 AM   Protein Load early to get my energy up

3 Whole Eggs scrambled in coconut oil 
1/2 Avocado
2 Tbs Salsa
2 Bacon or Sausage
Coffee
WATER

Lunch
2 oz Cheese
1 Apple
2 Tbs Almond Butter or Peanut butter
WATER

Dinner
Salad
Large bowl of every fresh vegetable that looks good. 
5 oz of Chicken or Tuna (sometimes no meat)
Salad dressing made by mixing olive oil and balsamic vinegar with some salt and pepper
WATER

Snack
Celery with cream-cheese and nut-butter
WATER and more WATER

This amount of food is actually quite filling once you get past the sugar withdrawal. I also switched to stevia as it has a different glycemic impact on your body than other sweeteners.

No matter what your choice is fresh is always better. I never knew that I enjoyed food as much as I do now. It was like all the sugar and chemicals had numbed my taste buds and senses, now cauliflower gets me excited :blush:.

There is a ton of recipes on-line for cleaner, low-carb lifestyles. This is one of my favorites:
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/menu-plans-new
crmchspancake6smallwmsmall-500x500.jpg

duckwonder said:
The smoothie needs to be done in a Vitamix or other high speed blender but here it is if you are interested.  The recipe was given to me by an executive chef in Austin, TX.  Awesome, awesome, awesome.  I don't like veggies but I could do this.

1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice, 1/2 avocado, 2 celery sticks (halved and quartered), 1/3 cucumber (lightly chopped), 1/4 cup curly parsley, 1/2 banana, 1 giant handful fresh leaf spinach, 1/2 cup ice.  Blend, stir once lightly, blend, pour, and enjoy once in awhile!  I used a straw, found it mo betta.  Hope it helps.

Wow, this sounds great! Haven't had a blender in ages but may just have to get one. I love veggies.

slow2day said:
Wow, this sounds great! Haven't had a blender in ages but may just have to get one. I love veggies.

Yes, a Vitamix is not too practical on the road (takes a lot of power), mine is not on the pack list, but it is a great smoothie, the texture really makes it.  I'll never forget that chef in all of my life.  Hope you get a chance to try it.

I am not the skinniest or most fit. I generally eat fairly healthy but sweets do make it in. Exercise for me is limited to stretching and walking which was extremely hard to do until I got a puppy. Now I walk 5-10 miles a day in 1/2 to 1 mile stretches no matter what the weather is.

The big things that have helped me are cutting back on the sugars in my diet. I quit drinking pop and lost 20 pounds. I cook mostly fresh foods to control the fat and sugar in take. Most of my meals are basic, simple to make foods that I grew up on sans all the lard used to cook it.

Things I stay away from are all you can eats, Mexican food, fast food and having sweets as snacks in the trailer. A box of Oreos will be gone the day I buy them. They taste good, I crave them and biggest of all, they are easy. Fruits, avocados and various other healthy things can be made easy too, I will eat them if there are no cookies to be had.

Another thing that helped me was eating and then waiting for the I am full feeling to hit. I use to eat until I was full which meant I was stuffed by the time my brain caught up with my belly. Now I eat a normal portion and wait 20 minutes, then if I am still hungry I can eat more.

One thing people tend to screw up when dieting is they think they should stop eating. WRONG! Not only will your body react by trying to conserve every calorie and cause you to gain weight, you will also feel like crap. Studies have shown women that eat the farm style breakfast with eggs, potatoes, toast, pancakes are likely to loose more weight than those that have a yogurt and rice cake. Their bodies have the fuel it needs and keeps the metabolism up because of it. They also feel better and do more.

Another study showed took 50 inmates, half received half their daily portion, the other half received double. As expected the first half lost weight, the other gained but after 6 months they stabilized as their bodies adjusted to the new intake routine. 6 months after they returned to the regular diet they had all returned to the pre study weight within a pound or two. That shows that a diet is a long term thing and seeing real results take a long term effort. Fad diets have you quickly loosing a little weigh, a lot of water and you body will return to its old weight when you return to your old ways.

What doesn't work are shortcuts. Short term changes in diet hoping for long term changes in weight. Sugar free products give a false sense of success because they do not cause you to control your cravings, the sweeteners affect how your gut absorbs nutrients leaving you craving even more carbohydrates. Fasting has the opposite effect of what you want.

Last thing is eat to be healthy. Change your diet long term to reduce sugars and fats and over time your body will adjust and stay at the new weight you are eating for. Exercise is a four letter word for some because it means a gym and sweating and... The reality is most people burn more calories mowing their lawn or cleaning house than they would a hour in the gym. The important thing is to get moving.