Weather: dust, dryness, etc

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherMatyas

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post so I'll do that here. I have always lived and traveled in humid areas around water, which by and large the US West is not. What are some of the unique affects that this causes on the body?

You turn into a Desert Rat. LOL just kidding.

Dry skin, Dry sinuses, easy sunburns because of the lack of shade and high UV exposure, Dirt and dust everywhere, Boy Scout pepper. To name a few but I love it.

Highdesertranger

Dehydration especially, and heat stroke in the low desert. Benefit is that you will sweat more which rids the body of toxins.

You will need to drink more water and electrolytes than you think. And wear breathable clothing like linen or cotton, some manufactured "dry" fabrics will also keep you cool. Use a cooling towel on your neck and head.

https://www.amazon.com/water-bottle/s?k=water+bottle

https://www.emergenc.com/products/hydration/

https://www.grainger.com/product/CHILL-ITS-BY-ERGODYNE-Evaporative-Cooling-Towel-2EMK6

Be in the shade as much as possible, or at air conditioned public locations so you don't have to pay for cooling. 
-crofter

The desert dust acts like foot powder and it absorbs the sweat fom your feet. not a bad benefit for foot health.

Cooking inside does help increase humidity levels. So breakfast and dinner not only warms things up inside on cold mornings and evenings it also helps your skin and lungs.

You may likely need to use moisturizing eyedrops now and again.

Cotton and silk are hot fabrics. Rayon is the coolest one of the natural fibers. A fact I learned during visits to Hawaii.

But for the desert I usually choose 100% polyester, wicking sports type of shirts. They wick sweat away from your body. Not only does it keep you cooler in the day, it also keeps you warmer under jackets or when sleeping under blankets on cold desert nights. When the moisture is wicked away from your body when it is cold out you dont get as cold. Plus they wash and dry quickly and are stain resistant. It is also a good fabric for blocking UV. Lots of positives for use despite it not being an animal or plant based fiber.

For full time camping life you need hard wearing durble clothing. Desert brown color shows dirt less than black or light colors. Same goes for shoes and socks as they will get dust covered every day.

As to what problems it causes, that depends on your underlying health issues. If you dont have any of those you should be fine. Just the normal cautions of drinking plenty of fluids, limiting sun exposure, resting in the hottest part of the day. Avoiding over exertion on hot days. If you have underlying health issues that is a discussion you need to have with your health care provider.

The old saying is that it's not the heat, it's the humidity. I was SO glad to get out of North Carolina and into the arid parts of the country. I'm in southern Nevada today where, at the moment, it's 31°C/88°F and 6% humidity with a very slight breeze, and it's perfectly comfortable. No sweat. And when I do sweat, it actually evaporates. Imagine that! To me, dry air is fresher and cleaner. I don't have gills, so humid air is suffocating. Dust? Yeah. But that's better than mold, mildew, moss and rust. Fewer bugs out here, too.

As for effects on the body, when I lived in humid places I just wanted to stay inside in air conditioned comfort. I was very sedentary. Now I get out and do things. I've taken up hiking and my health is better for it. I feel about 25 years younger.

crofter said:
You will need to drink more water and electrolytes than you think. And wear breathable clothing like linen or cotton,

I live in Eastern WA and I haven't worn anything but cotton or linen since I moved here.  I can't imagine wearing anything else, I would perish from heat stroke.  Also, I've developed a taste for Gatorade, which I never drank until I moved here.

Dehydration can sneak up on you, disguised as headache, fatigue, mental slowness, and lightheadedness. It’s best to stay ahead of it by drinking water pro-actively rather than waiting until you feel thirsty. If you travel in the mountains, altitude can magnify this. Again, just stay ahead of it. Plan on drinking *at least* half again as much water as you’re used to. When I used to hike in the mountains around Albuquerque, my rule of thumb was twice as much as normal, plus one pint, and that was always about right. I second the electrolytes.

In desert areas and at high altitude, the sunlight and reflected glare can be strong enough to cause headaches and eye strain. A wide-brimmed hat (with a full circle brim) is helpful if you’re outside much. Sunglasses are a good start, but not enough.

I wear glacier goggles.  They are darker than regular sunglasses and filter out almost all UV.
Get ones that you can remove the side shields if desired.

highdesertranger said:
yeah you are shooting for clear pee.  Highdesertranger

Well, yes and no. When I had a kidney stone, they told me that, so I drank a LOT of water, until I was almost sick to even think about water. I finally gave up trying to keep it clear constantly. A year or so later I commented at the Docs about how hard it was to keep it clear all the time,...they said "No, just clear once a day to show youre flushing out your kidneys regularly". Great, NOW you tell me the details......That was 6 years ago and it still about makes me choke to think about trying to drink large amounts of water.

Colorless or light yellow urine is what ya want to see. "Clear" is a designation of urine clarity (or appearance on a urinalysis report). Even in dehydration the urine can be dark yellow and clear (easy to see through).

FatherMatyas said:
Wasn't sure where to post so I'll do that here. I have always lived and traveled in humid areas around water, which by and large the US West is not. What are some of the unique affects that this causes on the body?
Cool and wondering on it and great response on the boards.
where you at now?  just wondering :)  on your way into new territory with some ifs and whats :)

Some of us are more closely related to our reptilian ancestors than others. Dry is a good thing. Humidity is uncomfortable.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

So thankful that I live in a part of the Inland NW that has very low humidity. Very rare to be over 20% in the summer... Usually in the teens. Last week it was 92 degrees and 18%. Low humidity causes the heat index to drop. So the actual feel was 88. 4degree drop, I'll take it!

Like a lizard on a rock!

RoamerRV428 said:
Cool and wondering on it and great response on the boards.
where you at now?  just wondering :)  on your way into new territory with some ifs and whats :)

I'm in the Toronto area. Thinking about the US in Winter and Canada in Summer/Fall. I don't mind the cold... it's the snow and ice.

MrNoodly said:
As for effects on the body, when I lived in humid places I just wanted to stay inside in air conditioned comfort. I was very sedentary. Now I get out and do things. I've taken up hiking and my health is better for it. I feel about 25 years younger.

When I'm somewhere humid, my body feels drained, even if I'm inside in the A/C. It's like my body knows what's going on outside and I can't fool it.

Latest posts