We need 12 volt wiring help please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BILLandSHEILA

Reaction score
We have 2 12volt refrigerators (one fridge, one freezer). How can we hardwire them to a battery bank of 3 batteries? We have 320 watts of solar.

Next question... Can we run a 12 volt panel (cig plugs/USB etc..) from the fuse box? If so, is there a specific panel you recommend?

All of those pieces are available on Amazon.

I kit bashed a tool box to mount them all the n one place, a more traditional full build would mount them on cabinet wall or such.

PKYS online is a great source for quality parts, including lots of Blue Sea.

I used a small circuit breaker as a
Master switch for all loads. Many of the doo dads, usb, ciggy ports, have in line fuses. I used a bus bar with the lower load stuff.

You can hardwire ciggy stuff by just cutting the wire. The positive is the central contact.

The best wire systems have crimped terminals. My system works ok, there’s probably a better way. The doo dads should come with terminal end wires.

We sure appreciate your guidance and help! We don't post much here but read a lot. This forum is invaluable! Have a wonderful day! ??

One thing I would steer away from is built in USB ports, as the charging profiles change over the years (remember when 1A was a "fast charger"?). My preference is just 12v power ports that I put USB chargers in, that way if I need a higher amperage charger down the road I just swap out a $10 USB charger instead of having to replace a whole panel.

You could use a bus bar for your fridges (wire bus bar to batteries, fridges to bus bar) but the referenced panel above is better as it solves your fusing requirements too.

However, best practice is going to be to fuse to the wire from the battery to the fuse block... this is an easy tool to use:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/5191/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A

-- Bass

did I misunderstand? you are running a battery(s) in this system, right? highdesertranger

Latest posts