We have made a big decision

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Painted Highway

Reaction score
View attachment 9299
Hi everyone!

I have been a guest/lurker here for it seems so long that it is now strange to actually post something.  My wife and I have been debating getting some kind of an rv for many years (as well as saving for it). And this summer we finally did it!  We felt the fear of indecision and the fear of the unkown (life itself?), and finally said oh well, if we don't try we will never know, but let me tell you, my hands were sweaty! 

We decided on a small class c.  It's a 2016 19 foot Coachmen Ford E350 5.4L bought from an rv rental company and has been working well for us so far...and it was within our budget, so that pretty much settled that! :)  I had some reservations with it being a rental unit...but i then thought that's just fear again talking me down...i think if you do your research and do the best you can with knowledge you have learned it all works out somehow. Anyway, that was our decision to make.  It has a small dedicated bed (that was a must), small kitchen, small bathroom, small seating area, but a big gas tank, with little MPG---you get the idea! ::) And it has a solar port outside by the door...i need to figure that out.

We have taken it camping a few times so far, not far from home, testing the systems, climbing hills, learning about it, as well as a longer road trip (about 800 miles) that went real well, with no real issues other than the operator.  We have been downsizing and getting rid of needless possessions, and now need to make a decision about the house.  Still have much to do to launch frugal full-time living...but we are now moving in that direction.  We hope to take a long trial FT trip in January to the Southwest...we are excited!  In the meantime we will be living in the rv in our driveway for longer and longer duration...luckily we get along fine in close quarters, mostly!

RJ 

Here are a few pictures...

Thanks for listening

Attachments

• 0916161129.jpg
    0916161129.jpg
    853.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 0916161126.jpg
    0916161126.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 0916161130b.jpg
    0916161130b.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 25
  • 0916161117 (2).jpg
    0916161117 (2).jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 29
Random Painted Highway said:
and now need to make a decision about the house. 

The prices of homes are going up, the value of vehicles will always go down. I have known people who sold their home, bought a RV and after a couple of years decided it wasn't for them. Because home prices went way up they could not afford the same type house they had sold, and they could not sell their RV for anywhere what they paid. Some people daydream about retiring and spending their days fishing and golfing. After a while they are tired of fishing and golfing. 

If you have a good neighbor that can keep an eye on your place for a year, you might want to just leave it vacant. Renters can tear up a place, but at least somebody is there and you can consider their rent to be a repair fund.

Welcome and congrats on your new home.

Hi,
Congrats on the new home on wheels. That's as good a layout as i've ever seen in a 19'. Excellent choice going with the dedicated bed in my opinion.
I like Danny's advice, houses appreciate, vehicles depreciate. Spend awhile taking short and long trips before ultimately deciding if full time is for you. If I end up going full time and selling my house, that money is going into the stock market where it can still grow steadily. I always try to stay diversified between real estate, stocks and cash. Small amount in Bonds for good measure.

I too agree on Danny's comment. I would think real hard before selling the house. Rent it out if you can't afford to make the payments and travel full time.
I at one time did the exact same thing you are contemplating. I sold my almost paid off house (that was stupid of me!!!), and bought a class a motor home and hit the road. I traveled all over the United States for 5 years. Stayed some places for extended times, but basically kept moving for 5 years. Until.......the money ran out!!! And the credit cards got ran up to the hilt.Then had to settle down with employment and bought another house. 

I liked the full time life for awhile, but it got old and had it's own set of  unique problems. And there will be problems. I'm not going to list them here but all you have to do is Google it.
One of the main things I didn't like was not having a home base to come back to. It's nice to have a house to recoup after traveling for awhile. That is why I am now considering getting another RV to travel in for extended trips. But the house is NOT going to be sold this time.

My advise to you is don't sell the house and just travel around for a few years to test out your new love of adventure. Kinda like what Randy Vining says in his poem "Don't sell your rig". 

But instead of rig substitute house {Don't sell your house}.

Thanks everyone for the comments. We have time to decide what route to take regarding the house. We are still making payments on the it, but the mortgage is not extreme since it's a small home in a modest area and the bill is SLOWLY going down-though we still have ten years and it seems like it's taking forever to get paid off. We have been making extra payments on the principle side, too, when we can. I think it might be worth several extended mobile living jaunts first to see if it is for us...i think we just need time to experience it. We do like the idea of keeping the home for a base when needed if we could swing it, but again that may just be fear creeping in again about not having a stationary home, and it just may not be financially feasible. A lot of feelings and emotions to work through, deep breath, keep moving forward!

Welcome Random Painted Highway to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. in January on your trip you should come to the RTR in Quartzsite AZ. meet the tribe and learn a lot about living on the road. highdesertranger