We all have to consider it, please have a plan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgilbert

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
This question just came up in Bob's last live feed and every nomad should consider the "what if". Not a pleasant subject but as a retired Paramedic I have experience in attempting to identify those who have passed.
The question is: Do you have a plan in the event that you die while traveling alone? My suggestion is below.
I keep a note in my wallet with the emergency contact number. In the event of my death while boondocking (which I do most of the time) someone will find me.... One of the first thing First Responders will do after finding someone who has passed is attempt to identify. The first place they will look is a wallet or purse for an ID. I put my contact note in my wallet where my ID should be, as soon as my wallet is opened the note is visible.

My daughter (only child) knows my wishes from there. (she is not my emergency contact, someone very close to her has agreed to handle that call if it comes). 
As far as the rest of it.... I pray that my Savior will take care of my soul, my body will become ash (I only left enough life insurance for cremation)
I do not need a will as I only have one child who is my sole beneficiary. 

Just some food for thought. 
Good Luck
God Bless

Gilbert. You better check into not having a will and it’s effects on the taxes. I have a very good friend who died without a will and state took most of it. I don’t think that the number of Heirs has anything to do with dying intestate (without a will). Of course I’m not a lawyer and I think things vary from state to state but I do know of someone who was surprised about how much more the state takes when you’re will is not written. I don’t mean to be a busybody but it might be worth something to check that out. I’m not worth anything at all so I don’t have to worry about it I have nothing to give away it’s all gone.

Look for an app for your cellphone that will show up as “Emergency” on the Lock Screen and can be activated without unlocking the phone.

I have this, and it will call 911 from wherever I am, also notify my emergency contact that 911 has been called.

It also opens a page onto which I have entered medical information that would be important to first responders, and includes emergency contacts information.

Without unlocking the phone.

I could activate it if needed and my grandchildren know of it when traveling with Grandma.

I also keep a card in my wallet, behind my drivers license, with medical conditions, a medication list, and emergency contact information, figuring this would be the first place first responders would look.

A inexpensive way to setup Will, Medical directive, Power of Attorney is to go to rocketerlawyer.com. I am not affiliated in any way. You can get a 7 day trial. You run the creation processed based on state. After filling out and printing the documents you may need to have them notarized (depends on state). You can setup an appointment at a UPS store as they usually have a Notary on staff. You may also need a couple witnesses which can be additional UPS employees.

Consider what happens to your vehicle when you croak. It will likely be impounded incurring costs. In many states your family can't claim your vehicle until you go through probate - which can take months. Imagine a family member having to travel multiple times across country just to resolve your vehicle. Many states have ways to make the transfer easier. In some states you can setup a Transfer on Death (TOD) for your vehicle at the DMV. This makes the transfer process easier and faster.

Hello Nature lover
It depends on your state of residence. And besides.... I plan to give what I have to her in small qtys over the years, wont be much left to tax

Plan A: Take it with mewhen I go
Plan B: Spend it all now, so there is none left for Plan A
Plan C: Leave instructions for 1st to find my body to bungee cord it to the roof rack and drive it to my daughter, ala the Griswold family Vacation. Hopefully, she will give them a reward for returning the car. I won't care anyway.

A man was trapped on a closed road in winter (authorities closed it without checking it) in CA or OR, and he eventually starved to death.

The first person to find his body just lifted his wallet and continued traveling.

Depending on a passing stranger who might not have a brain or a conscience seems a poor way to get word to your family.

His name was DeWitt Finley, if you want to look him up.