Water Pressure

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owl

Reaction score
I have a 5th whl trailer. When I get up in the morning I have good water pressure as the day goes on it drops to nearly nothing. When I take the hose off the faucet there is good pressure. I have removed the pressure gauge to isolate that. No one else has this problem. Any ideas ? When I talk to local rv stores they have no ideas, neither does the internet.

put a gauge on it. there is an adjustable regulator with a gauge. once you are satisfied that it's not the feed line I would look to the check valves. there should be at least 2 in the system. highdesertranger

Maybe there is a sediment filter in the line that with water running through it that the filter clogs and after it sits the sediment falls off. Kinda like a fuel filter that needs to be replaced. My sediment filter is right next to the water pump.

Hello, Owl!

Five years in my fiver and I had to replace the water pressure regulator, the one you hook to the hose outside, at least that many times. And the water filter (mine was built in, not the kind you add to the hose). And clean all the faucet screens, also the screen at the city water connection where the hose connects. Assuming you have done all of that, ditto what HDR said about check valves. Never could locate mine because doing all the other stuff fixed low flow problems.

Once, in the Class B which I bought used, I aggressively cleaned the fresh water holding tank. It broke loose all kinds of gunk and when I turned on the water inside, it blocked the water lines. I know you move around in your fiver, maybe something like that has happened?

Does the flow slow down when you use water from the tank with the pump? Or just when hooked to city water?

Best wishes, Friend!

Stargazer said:
Hello, Owl!
Best wishes, Friend!
Great to hear from you !! I think you and HDR are right about the check valves. I've done everything else. The thing that puzzles me is the pressure is good in the morning and evening but not during the day. Maybe aliens ?

We keep our tank full and work off that even when we have full hookups. The third time we came home to find our RV flooded because the campground lost sufficient water pressure to close our intake valve on the toilet all the way, we decided it was less trouble to fill the tank every other day and to occasionally replace the pump than it was to clean up the floods and replace the whole #*@!#! floor - again.

Sounds to me like the place where you are hooking into their water system is running some automatic sprinklers or some other water hungry system where more demand is being created. That is exactly the kind of thing that will lower the water pressure. Right now I am doing my build in a commercial building where all the units are on the same water line. If someone flushes a toilet, turns on the outside hose or turns on a faucet the water pressure on the device I am using drops down. This is a completely normal thing to have happen.

But if you are solo on your own tank system and this is happening when you are pumping water out of the tank then I would suspect that it has to do with the plastic line for the vent on the tank getting softened by the increase of heat as the day warms up, sagging or expanding the line a bit and thereby not allowing enough air to come into the tank to equalize the pressure inside of the tank so that water can easily flow out of it. If that is so then you could replace that vent line with another one of a different material that does not have that kind of heat related issue.

Well, I figured it out !! When I would lose pressure I would disconnect the water line from the faucet and water pressure was great there so it had to be after the faucet. I had already done all the things suggested here and no luck. This morning I looked at the hose closely, on a hunch I replaced the hose. Instant water pressure ! The sun was heating the old hose up during the day and expanding the diameter thus lowering the pressure. The new hose is strong and hasn't been softened by years in the sun so problem corrected.

glad you figured it out. thanks for the follow up.

this is actually quite common with old rubber brake lines. if you have a vehicle in the 80's or earlier change the rubber brake lines regardless of mileage. spun that one to a totally different subject didn't I.

highdesertranger

I've never had a problem with safe to drink from hoses. I have had a cheap garden hose do that though but a long time ago. Shut off the spray nozzle but forgot to turn the water off.

The Camco white hoses for full hookup are only good for about a year in southern Nevada. They are inexpensive.
The Camco blue hoses last a much longer, third year on, and I haven't had to replace a blue hose, yet.

During freeze warning weather I detach the outside hose and use the fresh water tank until the weather warms back up. I learned to do that by observing people of the Oregonian snowbird tribe.

Also, make sure the screen at the end of the faucet where the water comes out is not plugged. That happened to me; I unscrewed the faucet outlet, removed the screen and threw it out; it’s never happened again.