Water pressure tank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaticsLive

Reaction score
I was just doing some plumbing checks; thinking about upgrading the pressure tank I am using to a larger one.  I have a two gallon pressure tank used for houses with Well Water and pumps and I have a 35 gallon livestock tank.   I may upgrade the pressure tank to the 8 gallon one to reduce the amount of times the pump cycles.  This is all my own crazy design but is nice to have water without the pump coming on all the time.  I do have quite a bit of space used for water but like to not to have to worry about it; especiallly in areas the water is not so great.

Wondering if other people use a system like this in their vans.  I built it this way because its simialr to houses out in the country seemed like a good idea for on the road.

I use a accumulator tank, a small one. a pressure/accumulator tank really doesn't make the water pump run less no matter how big it is. sure sometimes you can turn the tap on really quick and the pump won't come on but sooner or later the pump will need to replace the water in the tank. the tank smooth's out the cycling. your pump is rated in gallons per minute a tank does not change that it just uses pressure to hold water in reserve. if your pump is rated at 5gpm and you use 5 gallons of water the pump will need to run for a minute to replace that water no matter if you have a tank or not. on a RV with the low water flow from the pumps a bigger tank really has no benefit. highdesertranger

What kind of pumps do boats have? I remember a video with the person saying that's what it was, but they didn't indicate really how they work.

My water pump complains so much she is named GG, short for Gurgling Gertie. I just call her Gertie. Wonder if one of these tanks would help her?

A funny: Early this evening my 11 year old naive niece arrived and was in here talking to me when Gertie gave a sudden complaining gurgle. Little Mary looked startled and said,"What was that?" I told her that was Gertie. She looked at me very strangely and asked, "Who is Gertie????"

I replied, "She lives here under the bed." Indicating with my hand that she would be below where I was lying. Little Mary didn't miss a beat, acknowledging this info by saying, "oh" but she kept looking at the bed and me sideways the whole time she was in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So cruel... That image is now burned into Little Mary's memory. I know this kinda stuff because when I was young I asked my mother what kinda meat was in ravioli. She told me fly eyeballs. I haven't been able to eat ravioli since...

This is the kind I'll be using in my build.  Simple rocker pump and no pressure tanks or electric pumps.

61lbypkbSRL._SX466_.jpg