Water heater ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry48

Reaction score
Can I plumb a 1 lb green propane bottle to a Ecotemp L5 water heater ?
If so how ?

Requires 20 to 80 PSI of water pressure so that's a bigger issue. To answer your question yes a 1 lb bottle will work for a very short time, the L5 is a 37k btu unit. Try calling the Ecotemp help line on their website for the correct answer to your question.

I've had my L5 since 2012. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
It's mostly used for "Navy" showers.
I run off a 20lb bbq tank so no experience with the 1Lb tank.
I can say, by timing all my water-on usage, that my first tank lasted 978.15 minutes or 16.3025 hours. 
I use a Flojet automatic 12vdc rv pump rated at 2.9gpm, 50psi.
I hope some of the above is helpful.

Yes helpful , so that probably means that a 1lb tank would last about 50 minutes.
That would last me all winter because I just run it here and there pumping hot water for a couple of minutes into 2 --- 1 gallon jugs

That L5 uses a hose with attached regulator (so No to a greenie).........You CAN buy a 1-Gallon refillable Propane Bottle.....

I have this one...  https://www.walmart.com/ip/5Lb-Propane-Tank/39086357  .......It fits INSIDE a bucket for size

And refillable is so much cheaper.....4-5 green bottle$  =  ONE gallon bottle....or currently less than $3.00 (of course after you buy the bottle)

Latest posts